Account-Wide Achievements + Rep

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 21 Next
05/08/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Zarhym
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

The other side of this argument is that certain achievements (ie: long strange trip) could be construed as motivation to play alts, and therefore should be excluded from account wide status. Which kind of defeats the purpose of making anything account wide.

It feels like arbitrary lines are being drawn.

Alt gameplay, in my mind, is limited to leveling, gearing, and tradeskills. Everything else should be account wide. Grinding "Crusader" more than once is not my idea of compelling gameplay.
What about mounts that are no longer attainable? My warlock has the Amani War Bear mount from TBC Zul Aman, I would LOVE to be able to use it on my warrior now.

The other side of this argument is that certain achievements (ie: long strange trip) could be construed as motivation to play alts, and therefore should be excluded from account wide status. Which kind of defeats the purpose of making anything account wide.

It feels like arbitrary lines are being drawn.

Alt gameplay, in my mind, is limited to leveling, gearing, and tradeskills. Everything else should be account wide. Grinding "Crusader" more than once is not my idea of compelling gameplay.

Pretty much. *high five*
05/08/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Zarhym
Will this affect reputations associated with mounts? Say my Paladin is exalted with Ramkahen and I bought both mounts. Will I have to be exalted to use these mounts on my other characters?

The best answer right now is we're not sure. We're still discussing some of these details and honestly haven't drawn final conclusions as of yet. So just keep that in mind as you read on.

For Ramkahen, you'll probably just need to buy the mount once by gaining the necessary reputation on one character, in order to unlock it for all characters on your Battle.net account. The challenge comes with the city mounts. If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

But again, the simple answer is we’re not sure yet. :)

Generally more freedom is more fun. You've seen how people want more flexibility with Transmogrification, and mounts should be no different. I understand stuff like no Elekks on Horde characters, but I'm of the opinion that mounts shouldn't be locked behind reputation barriers or arbitrarily restricted on a per-character basis.
So will I have my ZG Tiger and Raptor on all my toons? or will it only be mounts awarded "from" achievements?
Not sure if this has been asked yet or not.

Will this change be retroactive so that all the achieves I have now will be granted to all of my alts when this goes live?
Hi Zarhym, *snip*

94 feats of strength? Jesus. I am officially impressed, sir. I dunno how you do it.

05/08/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Frej
Hey Zar, what about things like the Vial of the Sands or the two-seater rocket. Will those be account wide too? I really hope so.

They should be, as long as they don't require a profession to use.

Thank you for responding! I am glad to hear that neutral faction reputation mounts are being considered for account bound items. I am fine with the city mount issue, but to that extent is there any thought on the 12 mounts through the Argent Tournament being considered city mounts? Reputation is involved, but there's also achievements associated with these mounts.

Reputation titles like The Shattered Sun, of the Ashen Verdict and so on are also a question of mine.

I know you folks at the office have quite a lot to pick through with our questions and concerns. I greatly appreciate the amount of effort this company puts into the details of all facets of gameplay. With this added feature, no matter the outcome, I have a renewed excitement to continue my hunt for as many mounts and companions I can collect across all my toons. Thank you for that, Blizzard.

^ Summed up my thoughts rather well. I really hope we don't have to do the Argent tournament mounts on each character. I love those mounts to death but that grind is painful.

05/08/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Ziaki
Will this change be retroactive so that all the achieves I have now will be granted to all of my alts when this goes live?

Yes. There would be very little point otherwise.

05/08/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Vomitron
So will I have my ZG Tiger and Raptor on all my toons? or will it only be mounts awarded "from" achievements?

Yes. So far the only restrictions we have are profession-based, faction-based and class(I think).

05/08/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Butchèr
What about mounts that are no longer attainable? My warlock has the Amani War Bear mount from TBC Zul Aman, I would LOVE to be able to use it on my warrior now.

Yes.
How about Molten Front?

It's not exactly a reputation, but it's quite an undertaking for 5+ toons to go through, even if it's only for a pattern. That is, I don't know if you're doing something similar in Mists (though I hope so, it was a great design), but I'd hate to have to grind through that many dailies on that many toons just for a small reward.
05/08/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Castaere
Hi Zarhym, *snip*

94 feats of strength? Jesus. I am officially impressed, sir. I dunno how you do it.

05/08/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Frej
Hey Zar, what about things like the Vial of the Sands or the two-seater rocket. Will those be account wide too? I really hope so.

They should be, as long as they don't require a profession to use.

Thank you for responding! I am glad to hear that neutral faction reputation mounts are being considered for account bound items. I am fine with the city mount issue, but to that extent is there any thought on the 12 mounts through the Argent Tournament being considered city mounts? Reputation is involved, but there's also achievements associated with these mounts.

Reputation titles like The Shattered Sun, of the Ashen Verdict and so on are also a question of mine.

I know you folks at the office have quite a lot to pick through with our questions and concerns. I greatly appreciate the amount of effort this company puts into the details of all facets of gameplay. With this added feature, no matter the outcome, I have a renewed excitement to continue my hunt for as many mounts and companions I can collect across all my toons. Thank you for that, Blizzard.

^ Summed up my thoughts rather well. I really hope we don't have to do the Argent tournament mounts on each character. I love those mounts to death but that grind is painful.

05/08/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Ziaki

Yes. There would be very little point otherwise.

05/08/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Vomitron

Yes. So far the only restrictions we have are profession-based, faction-based and class(I think).

05/08/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Butchèr

Yes.

Dear Armchair Gm;

This was last build. You obviously havn't logged in and realized the mounts are not only gone, but the achievements for those mounts arn't marked "battle net bound" like some are.
Can we please keep stuff like the enchants they are the way they are now? I enjoy doing 2/3 of a zone and not having everything handed to me.
Dear Armchair Gm;

This was last build. You obviously havn't logged in and realized the mounts are not only gone, but the achievements for those mounts arn't marked "battle net bound" like some are.

"Armchair GM?" Lawl no. My chair doesn't have arms on it.

You should probably clarify, given that I answered questions about several different mounts.

You should also probably realize that "beta is beta." So far the only restrictions we've been given were that profession mounts will not be usable, class mounts probably won't, and faction mounts obviously aren't being shared. Everything else at this point is probably fair game. I see no reason why the War Bear and ZG mounts wouldn't be shared.
I completely agree, if reputation mounts where account-wide, it kinda defeats a purpose there, thus ruining game play.
One thing I do have some issue with is the consideration in making alts have Exalted rep with, for example, Netherwing or Skyguard to use the mounts account wide. If you do that, what's the point? Once you start drawing lines on such things, then the actual number of mounts that are truly account wide will dwindle greatly.

The city based ones, yes, I can see that and understand, but not a faction that's in no way related to Horde or Alliance.

Someone above mentioned the Argent Tourney, which is another example. I forced myself to do the dailies, despite absolutely hating, and being so horrible at, jousting, just so I could get the mounts and pets. I swore, 'Never again,' then you guys changed it so that Dran Pallies had Elekk pally mounts. I'm not terribly fond of overly large mounts, so I once again forced myself to do just enough dailies to get the Pally only Tourney Charger mount for my Paladin, then I stopped. I'd love having the black, armored kitty for my NElf S. Priest, but not gonna happen. I'm not doing that jousting grind again. She'll do without if you guys decide to restrict things.

I know that sounds whiney, but I'm truly awful at jousting and it kills my hands, so the prospect of getting to use this alt's mounts on my other alts made me really excited and happy. Now... not so much.

I used to do the Netherwing grind on nearly every alt so they'd have a really nice mount to ride at 70, but after 12-16ish 80-85's, it's just not a grind I'm feeling the love for in the future. Don't get me wrong, I love the area, the lore, and the quests, but one can get burnt out even on something they truly like. I feel like I've 'paid my dues' many times over, so to speak. I've spent a lot of gold getting those mounts on multiple alts in the past. Just let me use them on future alts now, free and clear, please, please? :)
The more and more I think about this topic the more disappointed and mad I start to become. All this account wide stuff was announced at Blizzcon and here we are over a half year since and no one is certain about anything and why? The scope of these features should have already been determined. I don't doubt you guys are working your butts off with aspects of this expansion but why can't we get a definitive answer? Stop complicating it and make it simple. Obviously a human shouldn't be riding a wolf and a paladin shouldn't be cruising around on a Dreadsteed. Beyond those types of examples just let this stuff go and get this done. Please.
One further question...

What about a battle.net account with both EU and US accounts? I know they are separate etc etc? Just wondering if this has been considered?

Cheers
What about feats of strength? Will they be account wide?
I feel like Blizzard took all these steps into making Account-Wide achievements...

YET.

Instead of making it simply that, you're putting a bunch of "Nope not this, or this or this!"

An achievement is an achievement... You should only have to do it once. I don't see why you can't just allow -all- of them to be passed through characters. I don't see what element it is ruining. Reputation grinds are a pain in the rear. Darkmoon, Ravenholdt, even the tabard ones these days take awhile! All those Northrend Factions have been grinded on a past alt, there is hardly a reason for me to grind those Northrend reputations anymore unless I want some neat stuff for transmog. But since not -all- achievements are shared, i'll have to re-grind them for a simple sword?

If you're really going to go into the trouble of "Locking" certain achievements from being account-wide, then do it for only current content. All other reputations should work fine. That's just my opinion on it...

Another thing would be achievements that give items, like the Dalaran Coins or Higher Learning. Will I be allowed to get the book/coin on other characters via maybe an achievement item vendor somewhere?
05/08/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Entensity
Can we please keep stuff like the enchants they are the way they are now? I enjoy doing 2/3 of a zone and not having everything handed to me.

I'd rather they made the enchants BoA, having to grind Therazane rep on 7 different toons was beyond ridiculous. It got to the point where after the 4th time I refuse to do it yet again.
I'd rather they made the enchants BoA, having to grind Therazane rep on 7 different toons was beyond ridiculous. It got to the point where after the 4th time I refuse to do it yet again.

Agreed. My rogue just hit 85 and after doing it on five other 85's, I refuse to do it again.
It would be nice if we could get some kind of bonus to reputation gains when some other character on the account is exalted with the faction. That way you don't have lowbie characters who are exalted with a faction before they ever encounter them, but it takes the edge off grinding a particular faction's rep over and over. It could work like the guild tabards, where you can buy a BoA tabard that doubles rep gains while worn (and also functions for championing, for factions which can be championed). You could make it fairly expenive, so that it could double as a gold sink.

Or just dispense with the tabards and make it inherent. Call it a "family name" bonus or something like that.