Account-Wide Achievements + Rep

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 21 Next

The best answer right now is we're not sure. We're still discussing some of these details and honestly haven't drawn final conclusions as of yet. So just keep that in mind as you read on.

For Ramkahen, you'll probably just need to buy the mount once by gaining the necessary reputation on one character, in order to unlock it for all characters on your Battle.net account. The challenge comes with the city mounts. If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

But again, the simple answer is we’re not sure yet. :)

I wouldn't have a problem if they made it so you had to grind the city rep to get their mounts, because its pretty easy.

But if i had to grind rep on each of the others, like for instance i have netherwing exalted on one of my guys. If i had to grind to exalted on every guy to use them, IMO, it would defeat the purpose, because i could just buy them.
As long as reputation is about gear, patterns, and transmog, I think grinding rep for each character is fine, though the rep tends to be pointless for gear as soon as the next tier launches.

I even don't mind having to grind this rep or that one for the helm and shoulder enchants, and mostly liked the design in Cata. Making them BoA was also convenient for enchanting alts who didnt otherwise need rep gear.

But while working on alts from a different server while waiting for MoP, I lack all of those reps, and I sure as hell am not going to clear Deep Holm for the 5th or 6th time for shoulder enchants. I would rather make multiple scribes as it is faster and more fun to stand next to a mailbox (perhaps the earthen ring will need Hardened Obsidium Shields in for their war effort after MoP launches or another factions needs Polearms and leg patches in Uldum).

It would also be nice if older reps could be made easier to grind, especially when they are balanced around being current content. How many relics for Hodir rep are even on the AH anymore? As part of the launch of a new expansion (or at least the second tier of it), and previous expansions NPCs should be desperate enough to start taking bribes for favors or excepting alternative forms of help like accepting food or crafted gear.
Zar,

I've been trying find information from Blizzard regarding Account wide changes coming.

Obviously this string clears up the thoughts regarding Achievements and outlines the current thought process around Reputation. I still have four rumors I'd like to see if you can provide some input on.

Companion Pets - I know that most will be made account bound and I assume that means "battle.net" account bound ... but are there any companion pet restrictions?

Mounts - I did see the post you had made regarding this regarding the faction mounts not being included unless you had the proper reputation ... are there anoy other mount restrictions?

Profession Patterns - I have 6 Jewelcrafters at max skill, but I can never seem to remember who has the cut I need.

and fourth .... I have heard rumors that the Mists of Pandaria release will be the last for World of Warcraft.

Now some backgraound on my playing style and thoughts on the reputation and faction mounts.

I probably like quite a few others have one of each class ...and have leveled each to 85. I like probably most people work and play in the evenings and on weekends. In doing so, it has taken me until recently to get the last character to 85. In playing so many characters, I will say that I'm not super good at any of them. I'm perfectly ok with that since I play very casually and never run raids that I feel I'm not geared for or capable of helping the group.

Based on this style I have run into the following problems:
Cool mounts and so on are likely on one character only ... and sometimes on a character that I don't play really often. It would be nice to have the few I was able to gather on my other characters too. I have some that still have only the faction mounts.

Helpful Mounts and rare companions are too expensive since I have all the alts. I help other lower level players a lot. It sure would be nice to have the Mammoth mount with the vendors available and a flying mount to help get them to the right location ... but at 35K for the Vial of the Sands ... and 20K for the Mammoth, I just cant afford them. I usually tank the lower instances, but am not skilled enough to tank the higher ones. That being said, I'd end up spending the gold on a character that I don't use much unless I'm helping others.

Reputation - I haven't even really got exalted with anyone. I have felt ... Why grind rep for one character when there are 9 more that need it? I'm sure not going to do them all. The BOA enchants gave me the drive to at least grind rep for one character. I'd love to see rep be at least realm based. Faction rep being based on leveling a character to exhalted that is not of that faction to start with.

Companion Pets - Account-wide would be awesome. I have one character I have made the "Collector" because I cannot afford them for all.

Profession Patterns - I have multiple characters with the same profession, but trying to figure out who can cut that gem/item that was a BOP pattern drop from somehwere is a mess. Many times I just give up and buy the gem/item i could have made myself.

And last ... I sure hope Blizzard MoP is not the last addition to the WOW suite. It is STILL the best game on the market and offers something for everyone. Hard Core Raiders, PVPers, Collectors and even the more casual players like myself. A wonderful mix of gaming opportunity.

Great job to the Blizzard team in continuing to evolve the game and balance what each of us are looking for.
I can see for lore purposes not having shared reputations; that feels weird.

But I do think a good compromise to prevent having endless repetitive rep grinds is changing the rep items (enchants, gear, recipes) to BoA, except maybe for current tier content. That way when I level my profession alts I could get them recipes using my main's rep instead of having to grind Cenarion Expedition on each and every alt (not to mention the professions that require you to get Revered with both Aldor and Scryer to get their recipes.) Or less preferably, just make all these rep grinds easier----Thorium Brotherhood and Argent Dawn style, for instance, where you can get Revered in an evening or two, instead of taking months.

EDIT: I also really like the idea of having shared patterns known. My tailor has several patterns no longer in the game, and it would be great to let the little tailor on the same account get to know them. Ditto for other professions. If they're in your stable of alts, why wouldn't they share recipes amongst themselves?

EDIT 2: I think even Blizzard recognized the whole Aldor/Scryer thing is horribly broken. The Oracle/Frenzyheart model of Wrath is much more workable and player-friendly.
In my opinion, if this is suppose to allow players to play their alts. Why would they? If I had all the stuff they are making account wide (I don't) why would I want to play anything but my main.
All I'm going to say is that if I cannot use Justicar or Grand Marshal on my mage after all these years, then you can take your whole account wide system and shove it.
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

We can understand where the desire to have reputations function in this way stems from, however. For this reason faction rep is going to work a little differently in Mists of Pandaria and, we think, will feel better for players with multiple characters.

so will this mean i will or will not be able to ride neatherwing drake on my hunter if i got it on my paladan?
Hey Blue dude (Blude?), give [b]every[/b] rep earnable faction a Tabard that works exactly like the ones for Cataclysm core factions.

Available at friendly, rep for every dungeon. Please, thanks, hugs, whatever, make it happen.
05/09/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Deavande
In my opinion, if this is suppose to allow players to play their alts. Why would they? If I had all the stuff they are making account wide (I don't) why would I want to play anything but my main.

More or less this. They're getting rid of HGWT supposedly to "get people out in the world" yet taking away the need to actively do anything on an alt.

I guess Blizz subconsciously thinks we need more people sitting around Org or SW spamming Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker
From a player's perspective, grinding rep is probably the most annoying aspect of this game. I can understand leaving the current expansion's rep alone, but having to work on vanilla, BC, and WotLK's factions for whatever reason is tedious and mundane, and quite frankly, there's little incentive to do so. Why not carry over reps from the legacy expansions--maybe leave major cities alone--and give us more incentive to work the current content, or do more fun stuff?

Leaving rep off the account-wide bandwagon seems more like a marketing gimmick for a game that's already a time-vampire.
I asked this question yesterday as well I'm glad it was answered.

If account wide mounts include rep rewards than why would someone want to grind out that rep again on another toon? I know that you say the goal of account wide things is
05/08/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Zarhym
the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts.
but if you give account wide mounts including rep rewards and account wide achievements including the rep grind then you are eliminating every reason someone would want rep for that faction.

I recommend throttling the mounts back to not include grinded out reputation honestly I would start off super simple with rare drop mounts only and work from there. With the limited amount of mounts you should be able to do this on a case by case basis with general rules in place.

Don't eliminate game play by removing any benefit to grinding a faction.
Zarhym, I'm a little confused.

Why would making reputation gains account wide take away from play alternate characters? If anything, it still forces you to continue playing the same character to complete exalted reputations if that is what you like to do because they have made the most progress so far.

Looking at factions like Warsong Outriders for example. How would playing multiple toons to gain exalted reputation take away from alternate characters? To gain the Conqueror/Justicar titles for example, requires you to grind out exalted with the original 3 BG factions. I have completed this achievement on two characters, the first took me 2 years, and the second 4 years. So I am a little confused how having the option of playing any character would take away from the objective of gaining exalted status in the original BG factions. As far as I could tell, it would still take someone on the order of years to complete the objective, only this way, you get to play any character to do it. Rather than feeling cornered into one class because it has the most progress made.

Looking from a new players perspective, to gain things like what I just mentioned forces them to play the same character for extended periods of time to achieve them. If the idea is to free the player, not making factions account wide actually takes away from that. And for the more seasoned players, it just leaves them bored having to grind out reputation gains again, for the umpteenth time to collect rewards they have earned already (enchants for example).

Unless of course I am reading into this all wrong.
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

We can understand where the desire to have reputations function in this way stems from, however. For this reason faction rep is going to work a little differently in Mists of Pandaria and, we think, will feel better for players with multiple characters.

I don't understand this. If it takes forever to grind out a rep to exalted why must it also take 10x forever or however many alts you feel like playing all the time. Another example of just keeping us around longer.

I would love to just do the long forever grind ONCE and then let my other toons benefit on the same account.
05/08/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Zarhym

How about reputation recipes, like the stuff for Cenarion Circle or Cenarion Expedition? It's kind of annoying to have to raise the rep on my Leatherworker, and my Tailor, and my Blacksmith, and my Enchanter...

Maybe make the recipes BoA?

I don't understand this. If it takes forever to grind out a rep to exalted why must it also take 10x forever or however many alts you feel like playing all the time. Another example of just keeping us around longer.

I would love to just do the long forever grind ONCE and then let my other toons benefit on the same account.

I feel like saying that I'm only aware of about 5 reputations that would fit in the "long forever grind" category - that is, that in normal situations (if actually trying to be exalted with them), it would take more than 2 months to become exalted with them, when working on them every week. This is out of about 63 obtainable reps (plus however many of them will be in MoP).
Only reps I would care about would be the vanilla battle ground reps. Ghost crawler mentioned in his blog post that very long tedious achievements could be worked on at the account level like the blood thirsty etc. Exalted with warsong gulch is up there. What is it over 1000 flag caps 300+ flawless games on wsg weekend? Although it might be more effective to address why it takes such an insane amount of effort to get exalted with the vanilla bg's especially now that there are going to be 8 or 9 of them total.
Thinking about the (Alliance/Horde) faction mounts, they could be either a time or gold sink.

Basically, you can get them in the same way you do now (grind out exalted on each toon) or get them as a BoA from a single toon that is exalted with them all (or any toon you have that has that rep with whatever faction you have in mind.

Just have a BoA and a BoP version of each mount. The BoP version would be what we have now and be the 40g and done, but make the BoA version a lot more expensive (somewhere in the 4000g range). This way players get to choose if they want to spend the time gaining the rep, or skip the rep and just buy the mount for a lot more.

Something like that should be a good compromise between the two options.