Best warlock spec for leveling?

General Discussion
I heard going affliction untill level 45, and then switching to demonology because this is when the felguard gets felstorm, is the best way to go.

Is this true? Or should i be going demonology straight from the get-go.

I tried affliction, and its fun, but voidwalkers arent too great for questing, compared to the felguard.

In dungeons affliction is fine, but so is demo - imo...

So, what do you think? Should i go affliction till 45 then switch to demo, go affliction and stay affliction till 85, or go demo and stay demo till 85? (theres also destruction, but i dont think thats very good for leveling)
I just used demo all the way when leveling mine
The best spec for leveling any class is the spec that you get the most enjoyment from playing
Thank you for your input... anyone else?
If your going solo affliction is really fast especially once you get soul swap and glyph it. If your going in instances then demonology is probobly better because you have more AoE.
bump, just want as much feedback as possible haha :)
05/11/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Casmavara
The best spec for leveling any class is the spec that you get the most enjoyment from playing

Finally somebody who understands.
If you have heirlooms I would suggest Affliction. You can DoT multiple targets without getting killed and it makes it go by lightning fast.

Without Heirlooms, probably not such a good idea.
If you have heirlooms I would suggest Affliction. You can DoT multiple targets without getting killed and it makes it go by lightning fast.

Sorry if this question sounds really dumb, but does dotting get any faster later in the game? i just hit 30, and it seems like it takes a while to go from one target to the next if i put corruption, bane of agony, and unstable affliction... would getting the glyph for soul swap be good?
[quote]If you have heirlooms I would suggest Affliction. You can DoT multiple targets without getting killed and it makes it go by lightning fast.

Sorry if this question sounds really dumb, but does dotting get any faster later in the game? i just hit 30, and it seems like it takes a while to go from one target to the next if i put corruption, bane of agony, and unstable affliction... would getting the glyph for soul swap be good?[/quote

Soul swap glyph is a must if you are playing affliction Dotting actually gets slower in the end game but it does an insane amount of damage. At level 30 the problem is that trashmobs/ dungeon bosses don't stay alive long enough to get any decent DPS out of it.

Questing- just DoT up as much as you can, let your fel hunter take a few bites out of each target, and cruise along.

Dungeons- Just practice your rotation and ignore the DPS meter.
Torrick, it's been a long time since I've had the 'joys' of trying to level a young warlock. I pulled this guy up so you could see that I'm destruction.

I'm going to have to go with the person who said whichever one you enjoy the most.

I enjoy destro., because of the Immolate/Conflagrate combo, which does good damage, even at low levels. Plus, you can still use dots, if you choose to. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on the mob...on a boss, I throw everything I have. On a trash mob, it's a waste of time, because all the heirloom people kill them too fast.

I've raised all three specs, and this is the one I find the most fun. I recommend just trying all of them out and making a final decision later.
I always thought Demonology was the "better" spec because the pets are your tanks and keep the mobs occupied while you pew pew them down.
I personally have a preference for Affliction, but in early levels, it's much better suited towards soloing; as others above me have said, until WotLK and Cata, stuff in dungeons just die too fast for Affliction to get a chance to do much.

My current offspec is Demo, but I tried Destro at one point and liked it too, so as with many others here, I'd advise you to go with what you prefer.

05/11/2012 11:37 PMPosted by Estalayia
I always thought Demonology was the "better" spec because the pets are your tanks and keep the mobs occupied while you pew pew them down.

That used to be the case, but Demo spec doesn't have as much of a focus on the Demons themselves anymore. From my experience, Demonology Demons don't function too much better as tanks than Demons from any other spec.
Like with a BM hunter going demo is easy mode you will never die and your pet just hulk smashes everything. The hardest part to playing is eating your sandwich while watching south park.

I never liked affliction leveling your dots have to ramp up to finally kill a mob and using demo or destruction your just exploding stuff in 2 seconds.
Pick whatever spec appeals the most to you.

You will have zero difficulties questing regardless of what you choose.
05/11/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Torrick
Sorry if this question sounds really dumb, but does dotting get any faster later in the game? i just hit 30, and it seems like it takes a while to go from one target to the next if i put corruption, bane of agony, and unstable affliction... would getting the glyph for soul swap be good?

Not sure what you mean by faster.

1. BoAgony and Corruption
2. Next target
3. BoAgony and Corruption
4. Next target
5. BoAgony and Corruption
6. Loot first target

Repeat those steps as you go and you'll have a constant flow of death around you. As any warlock should. At lower levels, you'll have to be a little more careful, but by level 40, you should easily be able to keep this pattern running.

05/11/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Sylvanasslav
Soul swap glyph is a must if you are playing affliction

It's actually not. It's helpful, sure, but it's not a must. There are better glyphs. Especially for soloing.

05/11/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Sylvanasslav
Dotting actually gets slower in the end game but it does an insane amount of damage.

Not sure how dotting gets slower. The GCD doesn't increase as you level and the dots tick just as fast when you first get them as they do at higher levels. If anything, they tick faster as you get more haste.

Finally somebody who understands.

If only it were always true. For example, I leveled rogues in combat/sublety, instead of assassination... the reason I had combat instead of assassination had nothing to do with enjoyment (I had originally specialized in sublety/assassination).

--

As for warlock, my most preferred specialization currently is demonology, because of hellfire and felguard.
2 words for ya: felguard