Elder Scrolls online?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Legitimate WOW killer ye or ne, opinions?
A WoW killer? Of course not. I do think it will give it some competition, though. I'll likely give it a spin since I'm a fan of TES' lore.
I like the single player games, might check out the MMO.
No. Bethesda is not developing the game.
Also, not to mention that TES doesn't belong in the MMO genre, it's one of those games that are better off being single players.
Never heard of it, I need to get out from under this rock
No to Elder Scrolls. No to GW2.
Blizz is doing a great job of slowly murdering this game but they have to. How else are they gonna get you to play the next mmo they come out with.
Will it still be in first person? Personally I don't like the way the controls work for the game.
No. Bethesda is not developing the game.
Also, not to mention that TES doesn't belong in the MMO genre, it's one of those games that are better off being single players.

Zenimax and Bethesda are keeping in close contact as a means to preserve the lore and avoid any problems pertaining to it down the road. As for your second point, I would agree with that if the MMO were merely Skyrim with online play.

From what I've gathered, TES Online is going to play fundamentally differently from the main series since many of the features from those don't translate well into an online setting, such as combat or character advancement. To this end, we're going to see a lot of standard MMO tropes come into play.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Zenimax isn't some startup development team. They have a huge amount of talent to pool from, and based on what I've seen and read, I'm confident they'll do my favorite series justice.
Why is it that every new MMO thats announced people automatically assume its sole purpose is to kill WoW? Can we atleast have some options on the market without bashing? Its very childish.
05/16/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Melisaran
It all depends on the execution. It sounds like it won't be "all of Tamriel" at first, but that other countries will get added in expansion. How much leveling content will it have? Will it launch with a large amount of end game content?

All of Tamriel will be available at launch according to my issue of Game Informer. As for the rest of Nirn, that remains to be seen. Still, Tamriel is kind of huge, so I'm hoping that we'll see a solid amount of content at launch.

How will the single player experience translate into an MMO in the first place? I've always had only one issue with TES games. They always felt... empty. Lots of big open spaces, but the towns are tiny with hardly any NPC's in them. Sure, in the MMO it'll be full of players, and that'll help with this issue.

Those big, open spaces are littered with hidden secrets. That's kind of a mainstay of the entire Elder Scrolls series. I do agree on towns feeling too small, however. With any luck Zenimax will liven them up.

And how will the PvP work? You're supposed to be able to take control of territory or something. That might be fun. But the races they've combined into the three factions are stupid. The Argonians have been enslaved repeatedly by the Dark Elves, but suddenly they're going to work together? The Orcs are going to team up with the Redguards? The Khajit with the High Elves? Really?

Think of Cyrodiil as a massive, perpetual Wintergrasp. All three factions will fight over forts, farms, and other points of interest with the eventual goal of taking the Imperial City. Once they do, the MvP of that faction is crowned emperor until his faction is outdone by another.

As far as the faction races go, I can't help but wonder where they are going. We'll just have to wait and see.

And is it all 3rd person, or can we play 1st person?

3rd.

What about the Lore? I'm hearing that it's all being made by Zenimax Online and none of the Bethesda guys that build and maintain the lore are moving over.

Zenimax is actually keeping in close touch with the loremasters over at Bethesda. They seek to do the lore justice.

Are they going to ruin the world with a bunch of pop references to the other games when they're set 1,000 years after this one? Except for Ma'iq of course. He sould be in ALL TES games.

Probably.
While it might be fun, I'm not going to bet on it. I highly doubt it'll do much damage to WoW. You can't judge anything until you even see the game, anyway. There's no use in talking about the 'death' of WoW.
05/16/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Melisaran
Why is it that every new MMO thats announced people automatically assume its sole purpose is to kill WoW? Can we atleast have some options on the market without bashing? Its very childish.

This thinking is childish. MMO's are Business. WoW, with 10,000,000 active players gives Blizzard $150,000,000 every month to play the game. Other business want to come up with an MMO that gets 10,000,000 players that pay $150,000,000 a month to play, too.

Not every gamer plays MMO's, though. There are really only so many people that get into this type of game, and right now it's somewhere above 15,000,000 people. Since WoW has 10,000,000 of those, if you want to get really big, you have to kill WoW in the process and steal their players.

Don't be stupid. It's childish to believe companies exist to kill each other off, MMO or not. Believe it or not, people start businesses without betting everything on dominating 90% of the market. It's true.

Also, making up random numbers and stating them as facts is childish and ignorant.

There are really only so many people that get into this type of game, and right now it's somewhere above 15,000,000 people
05/16/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Melisaran

This thinking is childish. MMO's are Business. WoW, with 10,000,000 active players gives Blizzard $150,000,000 every month to play the game. Other business want to come up with an MMO that gets 10,000,000 players that pay $150,000,000 a month to play, too.

Not every gamer plays MMO's, though. There are really only so many people that get into this type of game, and right now it's somewhere above 15,000,000 people. Since WoW has 10,000,000 of those, if you want to get really big, you have to kill WoW in the process and steal their players.

Why do they have to "steal" WoW's player base. There are more than ten-million gamers out there.
WoW's sub base is not heavily impacted by new MMOs on the market, other new MMOs will take a much larger hit but MMOs in general usually have alot more subs than they need to be profitable and it takes something fairly large and threatening before an MMO is ever really killed. (SWTOR vs SWG)

the portion of WoW's sub base that enjoys playing other MMOs often has both subscriptions active.
I don't think it would be a WoW killer. WoW is too entrenched, IMO. But, I'm interested. I love Skyrim, so if it's as fun as that, I'll enjoy playing it as well as WoW, just like I do Skyrim.