Diablo 3 API Preview

Community Platform API
Post Limit:
Prev 1 5 6 7 11 Next
It is late on a Sunday night, you work too hard!

Will the AH have API access in a similar manner to WoW?

There are no plans to create an AH API (even read-only) for gold, hardcore gold or real money.

You're considering showing items in your stash and inventory (or plan to consider it) but you're not considering showing items in the actual Auction House? If the philosophy is to show what's public, what people have already posted for sale is way more public than what they haven't actually posted for trade at all and could potentially be keeping for themselves.

I understand if it's a 'not at this time' thing, but I'd love to make or see someone else make an app to any or all of the following:

1 - Recommend the cheapest/best upgrade ratio for items for your character, replacing your weakest item with the strongest item for the best price
2 - Plug in the stats of an item you've found and recommend a price to list it for (This one is the one I want most)
3 - Find 'good deals' on the AH to buy in order to resell at a better price

All of these would be so completely useful to players that I wish they were available in-game in some function. But if not, then allow the API to the community so they can provide this functionality for you.

Again, I get if it's a "We can't right now, too busy" kind of thing. Even if you were to just say "no plans at this time" it would be better than saying "no plans." You make it sound like you're never going to do it, and that stinks. =(
06/01/2012 04:37 AMPosted by Thortok
You're considering showing items in your stash and inventory (or plan to consider it) but you're not considering showing items in the actual Auction House?

Take comfort in knowing that if we did expose inventory information, it would probably be way behind exposing at least read-only AH information on the list of things to do.
It seems as if thus far, we'll have the following: Career Profile API, Hero Profile API, Achievement API, Realm Status API, possible Search API. What about an Item API, Quest API, and just generic Data API (for classes, followers, achievement structure, item classes, etc)?

Also, how come this wasn't posted on the D3 Forums at all? I understand this is just a preview, but there are Diablo III fan-devs out there that cannot comment on this thread, :(.

A lot of the data APIs are still being worked out, but we are confident that we can provide some basic API resources for quests, classes, artisans, recipes, achievements and skills.

As for why this is on the WoW developer forum, that was just timing. I'm hesitant to create an entire forum and rev up that machine before the D3 API is actually ready for release. When we get closer to launch, I'll create a forum and update public documentation.

time played should not be exposed in game either.

*api shows you're returning percentages which is fine, but i do not like that someone can click my profile in game and see exact amount of time i have played.
05/31/2012 10:30 PMPosted by Straton
Easier to trade outside of the game. People can link to their profile and verify to potential buyers their inventory/stash for trading. This certainly defeats taking screenshots of your inventory and posting them to the trading forums. (Note - if you're wondering why people trade outside of the AH, it's to either beat the tax or sell more than 10 items a day)

Just putting this out there, but you list this as a "PRO", however this is a major reason for us not to do it.

Whoa, is this stance shared by the game development team as well? I ask because Blizzard definitely supports out-of-game trading considering they've given customers a trading forum on the official Diablo 3 forums. (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354991/)

When I was referring to "the trading forums", those are the very forums I was referring to. Having stash/inventory exposed would make utilizing those forums a lot easier. Currently the forums are full of screenshots and sloppy copy/paste of item information, which is often inaccurate.
06/01/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Strac
time played should not be exposed in game either.

Which is totally and completely outside of my realm of influence.
06/01/2012 09:24 AMPosted by Straton
You're considering showing items in your stash and inventory (or plan to consider it) but you're not considering showing items in the actual Auction House?

Take comfort in knowing that if we did expose inventory information, it would probably be way behind exposing at least read-only AH information on the list of things to do.

Comfort taken. ^_^
In the Diablo3 Armory preview screenshots we saw progress bar with progression both on hero and account pages. In the API preview there is only very poor info about progression.
I think the API should fully reflect information from HTML pages.

Instead of stash items there could be feeds exposed about items looted, with reasonable filter though.
In the Diablo3 Armory preview screenshots we saw progress bar with progression both on hero and account pages. In the API preview there is only very poor info about progression.

I think the API should fully reflect information from HTML pages.

Thank you good sir, it was an oversight. Hero progression will be included in the hero API resource.
{
"last_modified ": 1666805944000,
}

In case people want to use the above example for testing.. remove the ',' at the end of the "last_modified" line to make it valid JSON

edit: decreased the quote size
Are people already testing this? Where is the endpoint?
Or if not i wonder if there is an ETA?
{
"last_modified ": 1666805944000,
}

In case people want to use the above example for testing.. remove the ',' at the end of the "last_modified" line to make it valid JSON

While we're on the subject of this, what format is this timestamp in? Milliseconds since the epoch?
Are people already testing this? Where is the endpoint?
Or if not i wonder if there is an ETA?

The api is not out yet. Straton will probably make an announcement when they become available.

More information about the API's such as localization and domains to use can be found in the documentation. http://blizzard.github.com/api-wow-docs/

While we're on the subject of this, what format is this timestamp in? Milliseconds since the epoch?

Some of the Wow api's look like ms since the epoc, but '1666805944000' is "2022-10-26 @ 07:10:04 CEST" but Straton could have just used some random data there for the example. Perhaps he will clarify this for us?
You know what would be awesome? If all your items could be searched from AH even if you only have them on the stash. No need to post them, you loot something it shows up in AH. You know, trash of one is the gold of the other.

That also adders the visibility issue of the stash ppl is discussing which, I think, is very pertinent.

You could receive a in-game list of prices/items/person wailing to buy your stuff, then you decide which you gonna sell and which not.

That's right, milliseconds since epoch UTC.

06/04/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Thuli
Some of the Wow api's look like ms since the epoc, but '1666805944000' is "2022-10-26 @ 07:10:04 CEST" but Straton could have just used some random data there for the example. Perhaps he will clarify this for us?

Yes, I made up some of the values for that timestamp example.
I have a couple questions regarding progression:

• If progression exists in the Hero API and the Career API, isn't having it in the Career API redundant? By iterating a BattleTag's heroes, using the list of heroes from the Career API, I can tally furthest hero progression and ultimately determine the progression for the Career API. This would be ideal anyway, since you can partition career progression by Heroes' hardcore boolean. (or any other Hero API criteria you wish to partition by)

• If you still plan to leave progression in the Career API, could you please partition it by hardcore and not hardcore heroes? =)

Oh, also - will you be adding any sort of region identifier (e.g. The Americas, Europe, Asia, etc.) to the hero API?
06/05/2012 11:08 PMPosted by Zen
If progression exists in the Hero API and the Career API, isn't having it in the Career API redundant?

I would guess that this is to allow for figuring out a Career progression without requiring iterating over all Heroes. It also mirrors what is displayed in game when you view a profile.
I've updated the account/career example JSON in the head post.
For kills

"kills": {
"monsters": 22119,
"elites": 1248,
"hardcoreMonsters": 2602
},

Would hardcore elites be listed under elites or separately? If a user has 0 for kills will it show up as 0 or not at all?

For fallen heroes could this use the same structure as heroes? Or merge the two and add "fallen": True ?

If a hero is deleted by a user they will be removed from the api correct? will the hero id be recycled?

Do hero Id's increment normally (1, 2, 3, 4, etc?) If so what's to stop someone from just going through and crawling all of the /hero/### to something like uint64 and starting over (other than the resource limit?)

Oh, also - will you be adding any sort of region identifier (e.g. The Americas, Europe, Asia, etc.) to the hero API?

Americas have a different URL than Europe & Asia. Take a look at the wow docs. ( http://blizzard.github.com/api-wow-docs/#idp15992 ) I am going to assume that if you look someone up on the Americas server (us.battle.net) and they play on a European d3 version then they are going to have to be looked up on the eu.battle.net
06/06/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Thuli
Would hardcore elites be listed under elites or separately? If a user has 0 for kills will it show up as 0 or not at all?

Ha, one would think. Unfortunately, we don't specifically have hardcore elite kill data. We are looking at why and how to resolve that.

For fallen heroes could this use the same structure as heroes? Or merge the two and add "fallen": True ?

I don't think so. The data associated with a fallen hero is different than a non-fallen one and I believe that it makes sense both internally and externally to represent them as two separate things.

If a hero is deleted by a user they will be removed from the api correct? will the hero id be recycled?

If a hero is deleted then it is effectively gone from the API. I don't believe that we have access to heroes that have been deleted. As far as hero ids are concerned, I don't believe that they are recycled, but I'd have to double check with the game team.

Do hero Id's increment normally (1, 2, 3, 4, etc?) If so what's to stop someone from just going through and crawling all of the /hero/### to something like uint64 and starting over (other than the resource limit?)

Yes and no. I don't believe that there are any guarantees that the sequence won't skip values. So you could see a jump from 5 to 11, for example. As far as crawling sequential ids, that isn't something that we are encouraging but understand that it will happen. We would rather have people scan the D3 API as opposed to crawling the website.