Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
Listed i5 for the SSD. ;p

Looks good to me.
fail, i miss pasted teh SSd... here it is}

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

is that the correct intel 520? there was a good amount of them
Yeah, it's all good.

I assume you have the DVD drive and OS, and everything else taken care of.
yeah, I doubt it matters, but here is the dvd drive...

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

but other than that, have windows and monitor/keyboard/mouse ready

actually, is that a dvd drive? or is that just a burner?
DVD burner. :)
mmmkay, just picked this

SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B - OEM
You won't really save all that much going with that. Just go with the DVD burner.
oh, i was under the impression that a dvd burner was the same thing as a dvd drive, so I jsut switched a burner for the drive, but alright.
Just wanted to jump back in and say thank you to Kalganized. I have ordered everything and hope to have it by the weekend. Build over the weekend and start testing and gaming. I appreciate you taking the time to put this information together. It was nice to have some great guidance in this build. I would have never attempted to do something like this. This guide gave me some real direction. I hope the next time I post will be from my new gaming computer.

Thanks Kal
Shawn

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Case - Black
Corsair Professional Serie Gold AX650
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge
Intel 520 Cherryville SSD 120GB
Crucial Ballisix Tactical Tracer 8 GB (2x4GB)
LG Black Blu-ray Burner
Cooler Master Hyper 212Evo
Asus GeForce GTX 670-DC2T
@Kalganized

What about Corsair Force GT ssd? Would you recommend that? (budget is not an issue)

As for gpus, the Asus gtx 670 dcuii top had been getting mixed reviews (instability, crashes, rsod, etc). I was planning on buying 2 evga gtx 670 ftw cards. Thoughts on those?
Also regarding mobos, I was going to buy an i5 2500k + asrock z77 extreme 4 from microcenter but wanted your opinion on the Asus sabretooth z77. I *might* go tri-sli down the road and am looking for a mobo with those capabilities. Doing 2 way sli for now though.
(planning in a 3 monitor surround setup)
Force GT is based on SandForce, so I'd rather not
Can't go wrong with EVGA cards.
Note the MSI motherboard mentioned in the guide. Can do tri-SLi too
Hey Kal! Saw this monitor at this low price, and was wondering what you thought (that size is great for me.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260056
It seems like a pretty good guide, but you have no support for AMD whatsoever for budget builds

Here's a popular guide with complete part listings (including AMD)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png

A few notes for you:

1. WD drives are more expensive because they are better

They sell cheap drives like the blues and greens, but the blacks are known to be better than most others

2. Take Powercolor off your list, like right now.

Powercolor is absolute garbage, and should never be purchased

3. You said that there was no benefit to using a GTX 690 over a GTX670

A single 690 will destroy 2 GTX 680s in SLI, so that should tell you how the 670s will hold up
Too expensive for what you get. You could get an ASUS 24" for almost that price (after rebates). :(

Darthtaurus:

I have no support for AMD because AMD is currently not competitive in any way vs. Intel in all price brackets.

WD is not "better" than Seagate or any other alternatives in any way.

I also specifically mention why 2x 670 is recommended over 1x 690 -- Unless you really want to have maximum potential FPS as possible, GTX 670 SLi makes a lot more financial sense than a 1x 690.

Also, a single 690 doesn't "destroy" GTX 680 SLi. It's about on-par, or few % better than the 680 SLi (at best). The main bonus of having a GTX 690 over 680 SLi is the better power consumption, far less heat generated/much better cooling. Considering the gap between GTX 670 SLi and GTX 680 SLi is not that massive, it makes no financial sense to pay hundreds of more dollars for few more FPS, unless money is no object.
Oh god, almost forgot

That case you are recommending is trash, and probably isn't even big enough for the cards you are recommending

Get a Haf X instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
HAF 912 is trash?

At this point, either you are trolling, or you really don't know what you are talking about.
Yes, there's a reason why it's one of their cheaper cases

and again, it probably can't even fit a bigger graphics card in it
HAF 912 has support for up to 12" long graphics card, and can fit uber-long cards like HD 5970.

If you actually did your research, you'd already know this.
Stop acting so juvenile, i'm telling you how to make your little thread better

If you've ever put a big graphics card into a case like that, you would know how impossible it is to do any wire management or any other basic task