Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
You can lead the wires through the back of the case on HAF 912. The "holes" you see in the case next to the motherboard isn't there for show.

And most users aren't going to buy such a long graphics card, and if they did, they will invariably go with a bigger case if they like. If you read my actual guide instead of just model names, you'd realize that I tell people that they should get a case they really like.
Yes, i'm and i'm telling you what case would be suitable for them if they choose to buy high end graphics cards

but for real dude, powercolor is really bad

don't make people accidentally buy that
Hmm. MSI Power Edition GTX 670 is out with Twin Frozr coolers. May wait til I see some reviews on that card before I pull the trigger on the FTWs. Also, what do you think about this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222&Tpk=acer%20gd235hzbid

Seems like a few of those would suit my needs for sure.
Only if you care about doing 3D Vision thing for nVidia. It's rather expensive when you consider you could get a 24" for $180.
I was looking to buy it because it's the cheapest 120hz monitor I can find. So far my system looks like this:

Case: NZXT Phantom
CPU: i5 2500k
Mobo: Asus sabretooth z77
Ram: gskill ripjaws x 8gb
Hdd: seagate barracuda 1tb
Psu: ocz zx 1000w 80+ gold
Optical: Asus 24x DVD burner
Ssd: corsair force gt 240gb
Gpu: evga gtx 670 ftw or msi gtx 670 twin frozr x2 (waiting for reviews)
CPU cooler: cooler master hyper 212+
Monitor: acer 23.6" 120 hz

Would I need any other type of cooling for 2 Gpu in sli?
Kalganized, I have a $190 budget for a motherboard (without shipping) and I chose the ASRock Z77-Extreme6, would you suggest a different one or is that one good? I didn't see it listed in the motherboard section. It must have a regular PCI slot cause I'm getting an NZXT sleeved LED kit.

Oh and btw, I'll be using a CoolerMaster V6 GT to cool an i5-3570k, hoping to hit 4ghz on it.

Full specs: Just in case you need them.
Case: NZXT Phantom full tower case
CPU: i5 3570k
Mobo: ASRock Z77-Extreme6 (Undecided)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb @ 1600mhz
Hdd: seagate barracuda 1.5tb
Hdd #2: western digital 500gb
Psu: Corsair HX750watt modular power supply
Optical: Liteon 24x DVD Burner/Reader
Ssd: Mushkin Enhanced Deluxe MX 120gb SSD Sata III
Gpu: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster V6 GT
I just ordered this setup after many weeks of toying with xoticpc's nifty little website. For $1339, do you supposed I'm getting what I payed for? It was the cheapest 15.6" with a decent graphics card, as far as I can tell. 17" is just too big and unless I'm wrong, it has no effect on performance.

Sager NP9130 / Clevo P151EM1
- Display: 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
- Processor: Sager - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)
- Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 670M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology
- Ram: 8GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
I just ordered this setup after many weeks of toying with xoticpc's nifty little website. For $1339, do you supposed I'm getting what I payed for? It was the cheapest 15.6" with a decent graphics card, as far as I can tell. 17" is just too big and unless I'm wrong, it has no effect on performance.

Sager NP9130 / Clevo P151EM1
- Display: 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
- Processor: Sager - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)
- Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 670M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology
- Ram: 8GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

It will be fine.
Hycinddra:

If you are dead-set on 120Hz display, you can go for it, but do research few more reviews on that monitor and see if it really has no issues. Some of the reviews indicate it's cheap because it was one of the first 120Hz monitors out in the market -- which means it may not be as mature as new ones today.

It might be helpful for the bottom card in the SLi if you have a fan at the bottom of the case.

Stoneshield;

The Z77-Extreme6 will work fine, but the ASRock Extreme4, Biostar TZ77XE3 both come with PCI slots too. Unless you have something else you want from the Extreme6, save some $ and go with the one of the two I just mentioned.

I assume you plan to SLi that 670?
Kalganized, I have another question regarding Ivy and Sandy bridge CPU and cooling. If I decide to get an i5 3750k over the i5 2500k, what kind of OCs will I be able to reach with a Cooler Master hyper 212+? I know the ivy bridge cpus run hotter at higher OCs, and I could always ship back my hyper 212+ for a corsair h100, just wanted to see what kind of performance and temps I could get on an Ivy bridge with the hyper 212+.
4.5 GHz-ish. It's when you start to up the VCORE (CPU voltage) the heat increases noticeably.
The Z77-Extreme6 will work fine, but the ASRock Extreme4, Biostar TZ77XE3 both come with PCI slots too. Unless you have something else you want from the Extreme6, save some $ and go with the one of the two I just mentioned.

I assume you plan to SLi that 670?

Nope, no SLI. But I'd like to be future-proof, (but highly doubt I'll SLI). Any boards that can overclock well, support sli, have a black PCB, and PCI slots for $190? I was also looking at the Asus P8Z77-V?
If you will never SLi / CrossFireX, a 600W power supply is all you will ever going to need.

Any particular reason why it HAS to be a black PCB? Because other than that, the other two boards I mentioned fill that role perfectly.
06/15/2012 09:08 PMPosted by Kalganized
Any particular reason why it HAS to be a black PCB? Because other than that, the other two boards I mentioned fill that role perfectly.

Aesthetics mainly. I was looking at the P8Z77-V, how's that? I also have the GD65 but then again that has no PCI slots. Wish there was a sleeved led kit that doesn't use a PCI slot.
Okay, so I've canceled my second order in a row from xoticpc, due to nerves of letting over $1000 float away into cyberspace. How many other sites are as reputable as xoticpc? I feel like I can trust them, but I want to shop around, as they all just seem so sketchy to me. Wish there was a physical store that sold customizable laptops.

Is gen tech okay? Any other places worth checking into.

Also, does the Windows 7 they give you the option to add have bloatware and a bunch of stupid !@#$ like Norton trial or penguin games or w/e my crappy Toshiba came with?
Borekk:

AFAIK, none of these small builders ever bundle !@#$ with your Windows 7 installation.

Also check out Malibal. They use Clevo chassis (like Sagers).

Stoneshield:

There are multiple versions of P8Z77-V. Which one are you specifically referring to?
That Malibu site is quite awesome by the way. One thing I can't quite understand. The Lotus P150EM is the same thing as the Sager NP9130 if I'm understanding things correct. The question is, why is Malibu's version "user upgrade-able GPU, but Sager's not?

I also like how adding a $175 SSD makes it end up costing only $100 more than the Sager, meanwhile getting a free carrying case.
Sager's is too, probably. Both use the same Clevo chassis.