Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
Oh, you have WRT54G2? Why are you upgrading then? :o
I am still using WRT54GL that I bought eons ago.
It's dropping internet all the time :(. Lasted a good 3-4 years so that's fine for me.
Did you try using a 3rd party firmware on that WRT54G2 before giving up?
Nope. I did try to update the regular firmware though, still the same though. I'm ordering in a few minutes so I guess I can give it a try? Anyways, I go with Netgear if it doesn't work right?

edit: Kalg, I may be able to get watercooling. I'm looking at the H80/H100. I could get the H80 for $90 and the H100 for $102. I'm putting this in an NZXT Phantom so which would be best?
Sure. I would recommend reading up on Tomato firmware for Linksys (check your model and get the right one supporting your model).

H80 is almost as good as H100, but seeing the price, if you have a spot for H100 on the Phantom (requires 240mm fan install space), go for the H100.
The NZXT website says this for the NZXT Phantom:

COOLING SYSTEM
FRONT, 1 X 140mm
REAR, 1 X 120mm (included)
SIDE, 2 x 120mm, 1 x 200/230 (2 x 120mm included)
TOP, 2 X 200mm (1 x LED 200mm included)

Then I saw this picture: http://i.imgur.com/vdlOu.jpg

I was pretty convinced lol. The only thing that worries me is that I use G.Skill Ripjaws. If the ripjaws prevent me from using the H100 I'll just get the H80.

06/17/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Kalganized
H80 is almost as good as H100

Not really a drastic change though right?

I'll read up on Tomato.
That seems to be so close to RAM spots because it's using existing top fans and used some fancy tricks to install the H100.

Yeah, few degrees at most.
NXZT phantom is an absolute monster

You should have fun with it
06/17/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Kalganized
RAM spots because it's using existing top fans

I know you wouldn't know this but did you mean that you have the radiator + the existing top fans or just the radiator?
Yeah, I see the default case top fan (you can see the white round fan just barely in the picture) and the radiator is right under the top fan.
Ah crap indecisive now.. Think I'll just go with the H80 and not risk the RAM screwing it all up. Cause notice in the picture he's using low profile ram.

This is my ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Look at those ferocious heat spreaders!
Well, you don't lose too much going with H80, esp when you do push-pull with it.
What Graphics card and power supply should i get for around $300? Will my computer fit a PCI express 2.0 ?
It probably will not, or at least be a very tight fit. eMachines aren't made with a real gaming graphics card in mind. In this case, you might want to consider buying a new case too.

For $300, you can buy a GeForce GTX 560 Ti with a 80 Plus Bronze certified 500W+ power supplies like SeaSonic 520W, PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W, etc.
06/17/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Kalganized
esp when you do push-pull with it.

Is that tricky to do or a usual setup?
It's just having two fans on the radiator: one on the each side, to push air and pull air

Like so:

(exhaust/outside of the case) <- hot air - (fan) (radiator) (fan) <- cool air
I see, nice diagram. You mentioned the P8Z77-V didn't support Tri/Quad SLI, yet it says this on Newegg.. maybe it means something else?

Quad-GPU SLI and Quad-GPU/3-Way CrossFireX Support!
I say that because while these motherboards "support" them, the 3rd/4th cards will be severely gimped in terms of performance return, and thus, it's really a 2-card solution.
I see. Okay.

Look at the very first 2 minutes of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M044IDLhOKM

Then you see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQWG5QyvRs

And it fits well! Mind=blown.
Kalganized-- Thanks for all the information! I need to upgrade my laptop and I was hoping to spend no more than $500-$850. I was considering buying the Acer Aspire AS7750G-9810 which you had linked earlier. Unfortunately newegg has it listed as deactivated, not just out of stock. Tiger Direct has it listed as out of stock. I don't know if this means I've missed my chance to buy it or not. If so, what would you recommend? I want to be able to play wow and D3 on the highest settings and I thought it would be a nice computer for that or am I wrong? I also liked the LED screen, resolution and size. If I'm going to get a laptop, I want it to have a nice screen and I like the 17". Any advice would be most appreciated.