The Future of PvP in Mists of Pandaria

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 37 Next
The onlyl REAL issue I take (and it's a very minor one at that) is weakening the guards on PvP servers alone but not for PvE servers.

Traditionally, PvE servers have the most difficult time with FTA/FTh and yes, it is because of guards at least partially.

Why not weaken them equally across the board so that the FTA/FTH runs are given an equal chance of success relying ONLY on the PvP skills/communication level of the raid rather than 'Oh, you're on a particular server so the guards are much stronger, too bad'?
Still no skirmishes.

Really?
I'm curious about what Blizzard wants to do about PvP realms with large faction imbalances.

I don't see the cross-realm technology helping here because the new Mists zones will all be high-pop so likely won't get designated for cross-realm. Even if a zone on a PvP realm is picked for cross-realm unless it can be designated cross-realm for a specific faction, I don't see how it addresses faction balance at all.
I was just bringing to light that people rolling on a pvp server with 0% intention of pvping isn't always just some idiot expecting blizzard to bend over backward for them and change the rules of the server. Sometimes RL friends just play on that server, they really don't have a choice.

While I understand the situation and it does suck for them, they had plenty of warning and they decided that playing with their friends was worth the risk and aggrevation.
What about the use of flying mounts? Many players are concerned about the use of flying mounts to avoid having to ever engage in PvP on PvP realms.
We know this is a concern and we have some things in mind for helping in this regard. First, we’re limiting the use of flying mounts within Mists of Pandaria to level 90. Second, with so many players taking part in the quest hubs, we think we’ll see a lot more PvP happening out in the world. After all, you have to land sometime. If that’s not enough though, we have an item that we’re adding to the game that players will be able to use from the ground that makes it possible to dismount a flying enemy player (within a reasonable range and PvP flagged). We’re still discussing the particulars of how this item will be available.

I have an idea. Attach the ability to dismount to the PVP Movement Impairment Trinket.

Why?

Well, for one, you want to keep the dismounting a little under control and two, you want to give players the opportunity to make compelling PVP choices: Do I use my trinket to start this fight? Or, do I wait and have this trinket to get out of something?

Also, for a long time, Human players have enjoyed having a free space in their gearing because of their racial. But now you'll have them making the same choices everyone else will have to make if you put the dismounting ability on the trinket since ideally, the cooldown on the trinket will bar them from using their racial. It's not so much a nerf to the Human racial(because they could always just neglect getting the trinket) but, again, forcing them to choose what's more important (starting the fight, or getting out of something). I might get a little flack from the human players about this, but I would also like to believe that even they want to make their gameplay a little more compelling...especially when it comes to world PVP.
How about if they add a 20% buff to stats (that stack on TOP of Kings/MotW buff) if you flag up in PvE realm zones? Not in instances or capital cities or sanctuaries, but out in the world.

It'll be substantial buff enough that people will want it for questing and stuff, but not outrageously powerful (do you really care if you kill a boar 20% faster?). And since both sides will have it, it doesn't favor either side.

???
you'd think they would fix classes for pvp as a priority, maybe get rid of the once shot mechanic, and make certain classes less op/
4) City raids? Yes, they are fun when they happen randomly, and take a ton of coordination to carry out. They are not fun when you are the lower population faction. They are not fun when you need to get stuff done and your flight master is dead and your vendors are dead and you can't do anything.

^ This. As a player on a server where the Horde outnumber the Alliance, I can say I am not looking forward to weakened guards meaning my ability to accomplish tasks is reduced because the Horde can that much more easily kill all the important NPCs as often as they want.
How about if they add a 20% buff to stats (that stack on TOP of Kings/MotW buff) if you flag up in PvE realm zones? Not in instances or capital cities or sanctuaries, but out in the world.

It'll be substantial buff enough that people will want it for questing and stuff, but not outrageously powerful (do you really care if you kill a boar 20% faster?). And since both sides will have it, it doesn't favor either side.

???

Well, the problem with that is that Blizzard would essentially be punishing people for choosing to opt out of pvp... on a pve realm. "You don't want to do the thing you actively chose not to do by picking this server? Tough luck, it's going to take you 20% longer to kill things." That just has icky written all over it.
06/05/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Clockwerked
you'd think they would fix classes for pvp as a priority, maybe get rid of the once shot mechanic, and make certain classes less op/

That'll never happen because they committed to using trinkets and PvP gear as the only way of having balanced PvP instead of actually balancing the classes.

Essentially, there's no REAL PvP balance, just PvP gear and the PvP trinket that forces classes into an equal playing field.

If you want to have PvP with PvE (aka normal) gear, you'll be in for a total massacre by classes who inherently have more PvP efficiency.
06/05/2012 10:07 AMPosted by Gbanklol

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any additional questions or feedback btw and try to answer what we can as soon as we can.

While your at it can you guys please give "Tabard" an option to "disable" it while still wearing like helms and cloacks? Because They ruine transmog and I hate wearing them while doing dailies or forgetting to put it back after dailies and only getting half guild reps.
Thanks!

Pretty sure they meant questions in regards to the topic at hand.
Hopefully these changes will get people OUT of the main cities. Its time everyone stopped hiding in their main cities being little pansies and went out there and did something.
The onlyl REAL issue I take (and it's a very minor one at that) is weakening the guards on PvP servers alone but not for PvE servers.

Traditionally, PvE servers have the most difficult time with FTA/FTh and yes, it is because of guards at least partially.

Why not weaken them equally across the board so that the FTA/FTH runs are given an equal chance of success relying ONLY on the PvP skills/communication level of the raid rather than 'Oh, you're on a particular server so the guards are much stronger, too bad'?

I'm pretty sure Blizzard wants to associate PVP servers with world PVP again. They want them to be the go-to place for large-scale clashes, etc. If you're on a PVE server, you shouldn't have to worry about zone-wide disruptions that come with city raids.

But the thing is this, even if they do NOT happen quite so frequently on a PvE server, the guards are just as much and equal deterrent to FTA/FTH runs regardless of server. The frequency alone would keep zone wide disruptions to a minimum on a PvE server compared to a PvP server.

To my way of thinking, it's not about what's 'to be expected' but does this do more to prevent one type of server from doing an acheivement just as easily as another type? The rewards are the same, the difficulty and risk should be as well.