The Future of PvP in Mists of Pandaria

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 7 8 9 37 Next
Can't wait to kill one of those world bosses. Oh wait- I'm Illidan Alliance, nvm.

Whatever Blizzard does in world pvp should not result in the killing off of heavily outnumbered factions, encouraging their growth would be ideal. Maybe having a world boss attack Stormwind and Orgrimmar would be a solution- hopefully even the outnumbered faction would be able to get a quick kill.
The simple truth is that World PvP is healthy for a server. its good for the society on both and alliance. By all aspects you move from the eye of "LOOKS ITS RED!" to "Look its WHATSHISNAME." The Guard spawn as we all know essentially killed world pvp.

Blue flagging should be the only thing i have to worry about on my server. Not some smart !@# mage blinking next to the flight master or a random shop keeper that spawns 2-3 guards at a time. Its not the guards themselves that I have a problem with its the spawn time. When 3 people out causing some mischief are overwhelmed in a matter of seconds by one person and 30 guards there's a problem. Feathermoon used to have such a rich RPPVP history I mean with Guild Rivalries that dated back to Launch. Now they've dwindled. Defense groups all but disappeared because people stopped attacking.

Battle grounds get old because honestly if i wanted to fight a boss or worry about a mechanical mob I'd have que for a dungeon. What it seems most people are missing is that sometimes you don't always want to pvp. Well on non pvp servers you have the option of not flagging. But when you want a fight and you don't feel like dealing with idiots and mechanics you have to go pick a fight.

Saddest comment said over vent/mumble:

"Well guys there's just too many guards lets get out of here." Not 'Well guys they beat us back, or they've overwhelmed us."

You are absolutely 100% wrong. The dwindling of world PvP is not because of guards. It is because of the simple fact that people don't want to world PvP. There are tons and tons of zones where you can go where there are no guards and a gigantic area to fight in. However it seems that lots of people only consider attacking cities and towns as world PvP for some reason, and they also think that it is fair that an entire organized 40 man raid group is just as likely to win as 40 unorganized players defending. Guards are there for a reason, in fact it makes MORE sense that guards exist because in a real role-playing environment, there would be guards in cities to protect the people and the king. However, having the idea that the presence of guards ruined world PvP is just wrong, world PvP is by definition unbalanced, and people still attack cities anyway. No, one or two players should not be able to single handedly wipe out every single NPC at valiance keep or honor hold, sorry to break it to you.

World PvP is a failure in and of itself, it's always unbalanced and almost never coordinated by both sides. It's always one side being completely and totally annihilated. It is never a fair fight, lowbies being camped by 4 level capped players, a level capped player being camped by 4 level capped players, PvP geared rogue ambushing a PvE geared warlock, it's never balanced and that is completely fine in certain situations where it can be controlled and isn't allowed to ruin people's gameplay. This is the situation where it can and will ruin gameplay, putting it into quest hubs and making it so ridiculously hard to get away from via dismounting items and level capped players have a stupidly easy time camping lowbies.
06/05/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Bomdanil
None of the guards in the game world hit hard,

No they don't. Once again its the spawn rate I'm discussing there. Just standing not even attacking an NPC will cause 2-3 to spawn. Add this with the ones that spawn when you do attack a player can easily get out of hand.

06/05/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Bomdanil
designed that way to keep griefers from doing what they used to

I support the this. And blizzard has already done so by making most quest givers unkillable. (please note the Most). I think most people that are against the guards themselves aren't griefers but people who are just going out to pick a fight.
One of the huge issues here is that if there is one level capped player determined to stop you from leveling an alt, they can pretty much do exactly that.

They kill you once. Hearth? Good luck with that 10 second cast time. Mount away? Good luck outrunning their 310 speed mount on that 100 speed mount. The only option is to stop playing and to simply log out. This is terrible design.
Can you give us more details on the quest hubs? are they going to be grindy, pve related quests or are they going to be pvp related at all?

The quest hubs aren't specifically designed for PvP. They are hubs though with daily quests that will have players coming back time after time to do them which makes them a prime location for PvP to occur (on PvP realms.)

Our roundup of Mists of Pandaria content from our press tour a bit ago has more information on questing and how that's all going to work. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4664616
Well, I'm not sure that enough info has been given to warrant some of the QQ.

Guards will be weakened on PvP servers — but how much?

ALL guards, or only city guards and not quest hub guards?

Will quest hub guards be weakened only a little, but city guards more?

There is expected to be more activity (world PvP) around quest hubs—but in quest hubs, as some are worried will happen? Incidentally, I read the scant info on this as a suggestion that the way quest hubs are being put into prominence, there will be more activity, more fighting around them; but, not so much that within them (where the quest givers are) there will be easy PvP without consequence.

Also, as an oddity here — someone who PvPs mostly but is on a PvE server — I wonder if the frequent complaints that "World PvP has died" on PvP servers were accurate, and that this dying of World PvP opened the door for many PvE players to slip onto PvP servers without getting/feeling much grief being there.

Edit: I see a blue has responded while I was typing the above. Still not very specific?
06/05/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Nethaera
which makes them a prime location for PvP to occur (on PvP realms.)

I actually want to get my toons level capped this expansion, please do not make quest hubs PvP zones. Just because players go to areas often doesn't mean that they have to be potential zones for the top guild to feel like locking down for one faction or the other.

If you do make quest hubs PvP zones, please allow all my toons that I own to be able to freely transfer onto a realm where PvP isn't required and forced just to experience the expansion that I paid for.

Like I said earlier, PvPers don't like it when they are forced to PvE. PvErs don't like it when you are forced into PvP, and since these changes are new I see no reason why I should have to pay money just to opt out of them, make the players that want to opt into them pay the money. I chose this realm because it was suggested to me when I didn't know what to do, now I have friends on this realm and don't feel like (once again) paying all that money to transfer my toons and to then also lose all of those friends and have to start new just because some fools felt like camping quest hubs and stopping me from actually leveling.
06/05/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Norlash
I think most people that are against the guards themselves aren't griefers but people who are just going out to pick a fight.

As long as they only get powered down on PvP realms I'm fine. I just hated playing on Scarlet and having 1 lvl 60, 70, or 80 completely gut and lockdown a quest hub with the entirety of the town guard beating on them, or managing to solo the entire guard contingent of a city without effort. It just didn't make sense that these places would be so woefully underguarded.
Kotmogu looks awesome
Currently on beta pvp power does not function in world pvp are there plans to change this?
It's nice to have some new things to look to, but I was really hoping to hear about some changes to problems which have been plaguing PVP for some time.

Class imbalance: certain classes (mages and rogues in particular) have both control and high damage output. There's a reason the best, current compositions are usually comprised of a healer (shaman or priest) and two DPS classes (rogue, warlock, or mage).

Every class has some form of crowd control: There is too much crowd control in PVP. (The cooldown on interrupts has been increased is nice but it doesn't help when more crowd controls are added to the game.)

Every class has some form self-healing: I'm against even non-Holy Paladins having self-healing but if you're going to give it to everyone, make it more even. Hybrid casters have an advantage here (I'm looking at you Elemental Shaman and Shadow Priests). Tune it down. Note: this is more of a problem on beta.

PVE items being used in PVP: Players who primarily or only PVP work hard to get their gear. Many people put in hours of work to reach 2200 to get their elite weapon and with some battlegroups being more competitive than others it's easier for some players to reach that goal than others. A PVE player is guaranteed to receive her legendary if she's clearing content every week (non-Raid Finder). If she then decides to run arena or Rated Battlegrounds then she will be more competitive than if she started with an honor staff or set of daggers. (Skill comes into play, but so does gear.)
Griefers are going to grief no matter what you do to stop them. And as far as the guards hitting hard? Currently in our end of expansion gear? Nah, they don't hit that hard. The numbers make it an issue mostly.

But at the beginning of an expansion when the guards are fully leveled up and you're in your beginning dungeon blues? Forgettaboutit. They hit like trucks! Should a max level player be able to solo a full spawn of guards? No, probably not.

But on the same token one guard shouldn't shift the balance in a one on one fight that happens to be in a city. Especially since regular, non thief catcher guards follow you perfectly through vanish, whacking you the entire time.
Nethaera, I asked this earlier and it didn't get answered. I kind of need this answered as I have an idea floating around in my head that requires knowing this answer, so I'm going to ask it again and hope that you'll be my hero of the day.

In regards to cross servers, if someone from another servers attack an NPC in a cross server zone, will players from all servers get the /worldddefense warning of the attack or no?
One of the huge issues here is that if there is one level capped player determined to stop you from leveling an alt, they can pretty much do exactly that.

They kill you once. Hearth? Good luck with that 10 second cast time. Mount away? Good luck outrunning their 310 speed mount on that 100 speed mount. The only option is to stop playing and to simply log out. This is terrible design.

Agreed. Take away all flying in the 85-88 zones. This will take away the advantage of level cap players simply being able to out-run those who can not fly. Either that or phase the zones by your level. 85-87's have one phase of the zone, Jade Forest for example, in which only they can see each other and have the level 88+ players have their own phase of the zone. This will IMMEDIATELY solve the issue of level capped players camping the lower level, underpowered/undergeared players.
06/05/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Spinnerdh
Like I said earlier, PvPers don't like it when they are forced to PvE. PvErs don't like it when you are forced into PvP,

You're entitled to your opinion, but your comparison is not strong. I don't want to have to raid to be on an equal footing in arena. You don't want PvP on a PvP server.
I really hope these changes bring back world pvp in full swing cause i really miss it
Never liked the VoA/BH pinata style of loot, but I think I like world bosses even less.

Are they going to be so easy that the loot goes to the first group to assemble 10 people?
Are they going to be a daily spawn? Hourly? Weekly?

Hopefully the loot is a step down from previous pinatas (say, LFR/Honor-level).
06/05/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Hofleurette
I don't want to have to raid to be on an equal footing in arena.

And he doesn't want to PvP just to hit level cap.
Like I said earlier, PvPers don't like it when they are forced to PvE. PvErs don't like it when you are forced into PvP,

You're entitled to your opinion, but your comparison is not strong. I don't want to have to raid to be on an equal footing in arena. You don't want PvP on a PvP server.

I do PvP on a PvP server. However, even on a PvE server I am sure PvPers would not want to be forced to PvE just to be competitive in PvP. Why are PvPers not forced to PvE on a PvE realm if PvErs are forced to PvP on a PvP realm?

That's not even the case we have here, the case we have here is even worse. It's not like you are forced to down raid bosses before you can que for bgs and arenas. However now you will practically be forced into world PvP just to get your toon to the level where real PvE actually happens. This is not an opinion, this design is inherently flawed and absolutely terrible. If you are going to fundamentally change the rules of PvP, then only put those rules onto new different PvP servers instead of forcing hundreds of thousands of players into the grief that will be this new world PvP setup.