WoW Summer Challenge June 6 - 13: AQ40

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Every week this summer, we’re challenging you to get together with a few friends to explore a part of Azeroth that you may not have seen in a while, or perform a feat that you may have never done. We’re calling them World of Warcraft Summer Challenges, and we’re going to be playing along with you as we hunt down rare achievements, get screenshots of amazing bosses, and try to find some rare gear for our transmogrification sets.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6213569/

In this thread, we're talking about this week's challenge, posting stories about experiences completing it, and linking to screenshots.

Furthermore, if you've thought of something awesome to do in AQ40 that we didn't include in the blog post, this is the place to say so.
Sounds like a good way to fill time while watiting for Mists :)

I always loved the AQ instances. I think I'll start a group here in a minute.
Just putting this out there, but if you needed Blizzard to tell you to run this nostalgic raid(s), you're doing something wrong! ...I kid.

I'll run this later when I feel like it though, just for kicks again. Love Divine Storming or death striking in front of 100 mobs.
I don't see where the actual "challenge" in this is.
The Conqueror’s Battlegear, and the Avenger’s Battlegear both seem to link to the same thing: http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=687
Not much of a challenge to do it at level 85. I've been wondering with the way mechanics and talents work now, how challenging it would still be for 40 level 60 raiders to clear it. I can't imagine it would be anywhere near what it was in Vanilla.
Why not add some zone-only Account(B-Net)-bound "fun" item drops that you can only obtain by doing the old raids during the "summer challenge" times? It would certainly add more incentive to run them other than for possibly mabe getting into the screenshot gallery. Also, under desirable gear you didn't include Dark Edge of Insanity !!
On another note, I've been through the raid once with guildies, and it's a pretty fun raid. It's big, and there's lots of stuff in there. There's special little bug mounts that you can only ride while inside the instance. One of the optional bosses we found to be unkillable; apparently you need to do a certain amount of frost damage to him in a certain amount of time (?) or he just gets to 1 hp and never dies. At some point we all decided to just turn and run away, and hope the boss reset. ;-)

There's not much transmog value in there though, except for a small handful of items, in my opinion. Some of the ugliest gear in the whole game is in that place. Of course, it's all subjective; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you really wanna dress your warrior up like a purple insect, that's the place to go. ;-D
My guild runs this one with 5 to 10 people every week. The one boss that is almost impossible can be done with several people who do frost and then when he freezes up, everyone beats on him to the point that he dies. when not enough people are there to beat on him, he just thaws out you get to start over. At 85, my warrior can tank him all day even without a healer, but without the people you can't kill him.

I agree that most of the gear in this instance is pretty ugly, but I know there is also some cool stuff and for the people looking for mounts, three of the four in here drop very fast and often.

There are two rep lines that you get rep for killing stuff in here and it goes up quickly. It isn't like in MC where it take 2 to 3 runs to get to revered and then 20 more to get to exalted.

With 5+ level 85s you can complete this raid in under an hour.
Ugh. I spent 3+ months across multiple toons soloing certain bosses for transmog gear. On my Priest, Mage, and Warlock, I soloed Battleguard Sartura and Fankriss the Unyielding every week until each toon eventually got the Bronze and Blue colored AQ Robes respectively. I especially hated Fankriss, those random teleports and worm summons can kill ya pretty easily if he does it 3+ times in a row a lot (which he did with me all too frequently).

Then on my Pally, I soloed the Prophet at the beginning for the other toons, as well as rep for the Avenger's Pauldrons. She also needed Battleguard Sartura for the Legplates of Blazing Light, but went after my other toons got what they needed since my Pally was going to be spending a lot of time getting rep anyways. I'll be happy if I never have to come back again.
Is it possible to run this place with people from other servers? I know, it's a dumb question but I just want to make sure it's possible.
I do this alone every week besides twins and I have to beg while i clear to them for him to come help me. Give me something for doing it again!!!!
06/07/2012 10:07 AMPosted by Flankerizms
I don't see where the actual "challenge" in this is.

I think it's in trying to equip a full suit of Deathdealer's armor without throwing up.

Seriously, what the Hell were they thinking?!
What about the people who do this on a regular basis? Where is the challenge for them. I think you need to release at least one more patch of new content to break the huge gap of boredom between now and MoP. A raid like RS could be sufficient. Even new heroics! Please don't try to make us do old content that a lot of people already do. (gold,rep, etc.)
06/07/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Denizi
The Conqueror’s Battlegear, and the Avenger’s Battlegear both seem to link to the same thing

Thanks for pointing that out. I've fixed the link.
Hmm for transmog purposes blizzard get rid of aq challenge and add level60 naxx challenges give us another chance at tier 3 I'm a paladin and I would die for silver redemption set
06/07/2012 12:17 PMPosted by Feniix
Hmm for transmog purposes blizzard get rid of aq challenge and add level60 naxx challenges give us another chance at tier 3 I'm a paladin and I would die for silver redemption set

I would love to get a hold of Tier 3 for this rogue and maybe Kingsfall
It can't be used for transmog so it's just for fun, but my guild and I run AQ40 every once in a while (including last week before we saw this) hoping for Vanquished Tentacle of C'Thun. Sadly, no luck yet.
Ha, I've been running this lots on my warrior with the wife. We've got pretty much both 20 and 40 done, I collect weapons, so the only ones I really need still is dark edge of insanity and kalimdor's revenge. Otherwise, I have them all. (Inc. vanquished tentacle!)

Twins give us more problems than C'thun does, but only because we'd both forgotten about the stomach mechanic. Need at least 3 bodies!