Prometheus *spoilers*

Ravenholdt
Post Limit:
I have a few questions about the movie Prometheus.
01. Did the Engineer voluteer to drink the space ooze, and did the rest of the Engineers give consent?

02. At what point did the Engineers return to Earth for ancient humans to worship them and give them a star map to LV-223?

03. Did the Engineers actually intend on humans to one day travel to LV-223? If so:

04. Had the instillation's purpose changed since they gave humans the map?

05. Why was there no cat on the Prometheus?

06. Why wasn't the crew briefed about the mission before they departed Earth?

07. Why did they have Guy Pearce in a Jackass-ish old man costume instead of casting a real old man?

08. What was the green crystal beneath the xenomorph statue?

09. Why did the biologist favor the idea of following the geologist, despite the incredible biological discovery they had just made?

10. What exactly killed the Engineers?

11. What was David's motivation for infecting Holloway with the space ooze?

12. Why did the captain show no real concern for the isolated scientists, even before he found out whether Ms. Vickers was a robot or not?

13. How did the geologist get lost in the first place, despite having a puppy tracking, mapquesting, space iPad?

14. Was the biologist high too? If not:

15. Why did he speak to the space worm in a similar matter somebody would talk to a lovable dog?

16. Why didn't Halloway tell anybody about the squibbly-boo in his eye?

17.Why did David cut off his camera feed?

18. Why didn't David tell anybody about Shaw's un-traditional fetus?

19. Why did nobody attempt to locate Shaw after the DYI abortion?

20. Why didn't Shaw tell anybody about her un-traditional fetus?

21.Why did nobody show any concern about Shaw being naked, covered in blood, and had staples on her stomach?

22.What exactly was Shaw wrong about?

23. Why did Weyland HAVE to be Vickers' father?

24. What did David say to the Engineer? This may be the answer to:

25. Why did the Engineer go into a bath salts enduced rage?

26. Why did the Engineers want to destroy all life on Earth?

27. Why would somebody run in the same direction as a giant rolling object?

28. Why did Vickers never go back to her life-boat after the DYI abortion scene?

29. How did the face-hugger gain so much bio-mass?

30. Why did the face-hugger have tentacles instead of jointed appendages?

31. Why didn't Shaw leave the juggernaut with David the same way she entered?

32. Why did David become a Deus Ex Machine 9000 for the resolution of the movie?

33. Why was the xenomorph born almost fully developed?

Theories, excuses, thoughts, wishful thinking GOGOGOGOGOGO

P.S. In the movie Alien, they found the Space Jokey ship on LV-426, but Prometheus took place on LV-223. They found the Space Jokey dead in his space chair with its chest burst open, however the Engineer in Prometheus died and gave birth to a Xenomorph on the life boat, a few hundred yards from the crashed ship, leading me to believe that Prometheus isn't really a prequel to Alien.

I cannot wait for when James Cameron directs the sequel to Promethus. It will be called "Prometheuses".
34. Is Charlize Theron a dude?
06/10/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Mazzle
01. Did the Engineer voluteer to drink the space ooze, and did the rest of the Engineers give consent?

If you're talking about the first scene, then that's a really good question and I think an element of the mystery of the film. Us trying to figure that out kept us wondering throughout the film, and we were more or less asking the same question as the protagonist, "What happened and why?"

The fact that we never find out exactly parallels the continued quest to answer the protagonists question. It's possible that yes, he volunteered to drink the space ooze and the liquid death stuff is the same stuff that created life on Earth. Was that an accident? Elsewise, did the scene we witness even take place on Earth, or were we witnessing an alien letting loose the death ooze on the dead planet the movie takes place on?

02. At what point did the Engineers return to Earth for ancient humans to worship them and give them a star map to LV-223?

When they helped us build the pyramids.

03. Did the Engineers actually intend on humans to one day travel to LV-223? If so:

That's a lot to assume based on some cave paintings. Everyone who assumed so was doing so on 'faith' and these were the same people that on 'faith' assumed the aliens would have some kind of immortality hotfix, which is a pretty stupid assumption.

04. Had the instillation's purpose changed since they gave humans the map?

We don't know what the purpose was. The humans assumed it was a military installation, and like any hard SF we have to assume that too just because there's no way to know for sure. It's also possible that the military installation planet was not the only alien-settled planet in that group of stars, just the one most like earth and the worst possible one to go to.

05. Why was there no cat on the Prometheus?

Like I said, the humans were stupid.

06. Why wasn't the crew briefed about the mission before they departed Earth?

You run into this a lot in SF. The mission was crazy, so if people knew about it, they wouldn't agree to it. They likely advertised, "Dangerous mission, !@#$-tons of money," and just took who they could get, which is similar to how ship crews were often recruited in the past. It's also why the geologist and biologist dudes were bat%^-* insane morons.

Presumably, the ship's operation crew, the archaeologists and people who worked for the company knew where they were going, which was actually like half the crew.

07. Why did they have Guy Pearce in a Jackass-ish old man costume instead of casting a real old man?

So we would automatically dislike him? I'unno.

08. What was the green crystal beneath the xenomorph statue?

Isn't that something from the Alien movies? If not, just a weird shiny doohicky for us to look at and be all weirded out.

09. Why did the biologist favor the idea of following the geologist, despite the incredible biological discovery they had just made?

Bat!@#$ insane moron and obviously kind of a tweaker. I also got the sense he had the hots for the geologist.

10. What exactly killed the Engineers?

Obviously not the black stuff, because if it was the black stuff, the whole planet would've been covered in Alien xenos. On the other hand, maybe it was just one Alien that crawled off somewhere else two thousand years ago.

Scary sci-fi rules say something bad happened and we don't get to know.

The Old Man was giving David very specific instructions to do unholy science experiments on the crew. Remember how in the scene prior, David was talking to the Old Man in cryo and was instructed to "try harder?" It was possible the Old Man was hoping the ooze would just automatically make Holloway immortal instead of killing him. Oopsie.

12. Why did the captain show no real concern for the isolated scientists, even before he found out whether Ms. Vickers was a robot or not?

The robot thing was a joke, but answered a thing we were all curious about anyway. The captain didn't care about them because they were bat%^-* morons that were probably going to die anyway. If they want to go get lost in a giant alien catacomb during a hurricane made of broken glass and play with the cute alien snakes, then why waste time worrying when you could be bedding the creepy blond?

5000 character post limit.
Incidentally, there's no guarantee Vickers wasn't a robot just because she could have sex and get pissed at everything. She had almost the same fanatical devotion to the Old Man that David had, but in more of an I-hate-my-god kind of way. So, is she or is she not a robot?

13. How did the geologist get lost in the first place, despite having a puppy tracking, mapquesting, space iPad?

14. Was the biologist high too? If not:

15. Why did he speak to the space worm in a similar matter somebody would talk to a lovable dog?

This is horror-film genre mandatory. They were those guys who you knew they were going to die from the very first time you saw them. For one thing, they were the first two minor characters introduced, which meant they were going to die. The geologist was an !@#$%^- with weird hair, which meant he was going to die. The biologist was a joker who was happy about stupid *!@#, which meant he was going to die. Drugs were involved, which meant they were going to die. They were buddies, which meant they were going to die.

Every possible flag that could've gone up to signal that they would be the first to die went up in a nice little ten minute gap.

So the reason they got lost was because the universe needed them to. The planets aligned to stop their ipad from functioning and likely there was an intermittent blood clot or something in the geologist's brain that stopped him from being able to navigate properly by memory, despite the fact that mapping the place was his job. He was high and panicky, so he was just running around pissing himself anyway. Also, the biologist was obviously on a much harder drug than weed, which is why everything was funny and he mistook the alien worm for something he should be within two miles of much less $%^-ing touch.

They were morons and it was their destiny to die, and it was awesome.

16. Why didn't Halloway tell anybody about the squibbly-boo in his eye?

Admittedly this was stupid, but again, all of the humans in this movie were kind of stupid. Which, by the way, is the most realistic thing about the movie. It captured human stupidity quite well. It was probably some idiot thought like he thought he was imagining it or he didn't want to be that guy that got sick on the mission and slowed everything down. It was a stupid, stupid thing and he deserved to die and so he died and I was okay with that.

17.Why did David cut off his camera feed?

Because he was daddy's favorite child and he wanted to be the one to find the immortal alien. He didn't want Vickers to be able to take credit for the discovery with the Old Man. Which, she wanted either the Old Man's love or his money, and David wasn't about to give her any way to endear herself to him.

18. Why didn't David tell anybody about Shaw's un-traditional fetus?

Had a long talk about David's behavior in this scene on the way home. Decided that David actually felt bad about Halloway and worried about Shaw, but at the same time was under instruction from his god (the Old Man) to not do anything to endanger the mission. So instead of dealing with it, he was going to stick her and the fetus in cryo on the hopes that he could get help for her later, when letting out the fact that she was full of alien death wouldn't distract people from their real mission. Which, the real mission was finding daddy's immortality potion, remember, not dealing with Shaw's evil deathbaby.

19. Why did nobody attempt to locate Shaw after the DYI abortion?

The only two people who knew that Shaw was loose were laying in the medical bay floor with bloodied heads. Nobody knew what she was doing. People didn't even realize anything was going on until she popped up in the room where the Old Man was waking up, and David probably figured out what she'd done almost immediately. Which is why he took two seconds to make sure she was covered up and not going to explode into a pile of black goo before going right back to cleaning the Old Man's feet.

From the moment the Old Man woke up and was done having his little chat with her, Shaw was completely unimportant and below their notice. As long as she stayed quiet and out of the way, the only people who even looked at her were the ship's Captain and David.

20. Why didn't Shaw tell anybody about her un-traditional fetus?

She thought it was dead. The decontamination function was supposed to kill it. She seemed to focus primarily on rethinking her line of questioning for the aliens, and then on saving the world. Furthermore, she might've been doing weak human stuff, like being embarrassed by the fact that'd given birth to a monstrous abomination and otherwise not wanting people to know about it because of emotions.

5000 character limit.
21.Why did nobody show any concern about Shaw being naked, covered in blood, and had staples on her stomach?

Because nobody cared about her. The Old Man was up and they were going to discover immortality. Shun the unimportant woman and her problems. The only person who actually lent her any consideration at this point was David, which is ironic, and later on the ship's Captain, but even then only because she was the last person left on the ground crew who wasn't completely insane. Which, on the same hand, Shaw was really the only person actually communicating with the Captain at the point as well.

22.What exactly was Shaw wrong about?

She assumed the aliens wanted humans to come find them and would have all kinds of special goodies just ready and waiting for them. It was a stupid thing to assume and, yeah, she was pretty dang wrong.

23. Why did Weyland HAVE to be Vickers' father?

He didn't and we don't know that he was. She called him that, but we don't know if she meant it literally. It's not that strange to assume that he's her father, although he does seem a bit old for it. I still think she might've been a robot though.

Excellent. On the one hand, David might've said exactly what the old man instructed him to, "Hi, I'm here and I'm sick and can you make me immortal please?" On the other hand, David might've politely asked the alien to please kill everyone because they're mean. And on the freakish third hand, it's possible what David said had absolutely nothing to do with the alien's anger issues and maybe the alien was just pissed because a bunch of the humans he was supposed to be killing were suddenly on his ship. I'd say the third possibility is most likely, but knowing the writer's previous work, David probably said something deliberately to set the alien off.

Republican primary campaign coverage.

27. Why would somebody run in the same direction as a giant rolling object?

... Because.

28. Why did Vickers never go back to her life-boat after the DYI abortion scene?

She was working. Also, maybe she did and the fact that there was blood everywhere just made her uncomfortable so she left. Likely she was too busy dealing with the Old Man to go back to her lil executive suite.

29. How did the face-hugger gain so much bio-mass?

We could ask the biologist if he hadn't already died. I'm not a science person so I dunno.

30. Why did the face-hugger have tentacles instead of jointed appendages?

Seems to be a different breed of facehugger than what we're used to. Maybe sometime between this film and the Alien movies, it evolved or picked up more DNA from another species. From an OOC perspective, it was probably so people didn't recognize the movie as an Alien prequel prior to the last scene.

31. Why didn't Shaw leave the juggernaut with David the same way she entered?

Maybe she also had an intermittent blood clot.

32. Why did David become a Deus Ex Machine 9000 for the resolution of the movie?

David's behavior seemed to me to flow naturally from his character, honestly. He's shown a decent amount of concern for Shaw throughout the film and built a naturally fond relationship with her, meanwhile hating everyone single other human he encountered and expressing a desire to kill the Old Man, even going so far as to state he was enslaved. The fact is that David desired or at least accepted the death of every human except Shaw.

It's very possible David figured out what happened to the aliens and what was going on on the planet within moments of setting foot in the dome, and the rest of the movie was a masterfully executed plan on his part to get everyone except Shaw and himself killed.

33. Why was the xenomorph born almost fully developed?

Likely because it grew inside of an alien that is much larger than a human. The way the literally burst from the bodies of their victims tells me that they stay inside as long as they can. If it had been born in a large enough body, it likely would've waited to emerge until it was full grown.
Here's the one that gets me:

Why, on Vicker's life boat, was there an emergency medical device programmed to operate only on men? Did she, like, not intend to be female at the time it was installed or what?
Thank you Twinflame for taking to time to respond! lol
You do realize that not matter how sound your logic is while explaining the events of Prometheus, it is still all speculation, right?

Posted by Mazzle

The Old Man was giving David very specific instructions to do unholy science experiments on the crew. Remember how in the scene prior, David was talking to the Old Man in cryo and was instructed to "try harder?" It was possible the Old Man was hoping the ooze would just automatically make Holloway immortal instead of killing him. Oopsie.

I thought about this as well, however, David took the space vase before his conversation with Weyland, also later conveyed to Vickers that "try harder" was intended for her.

Here's the one that gets me:

Why, on Vicker's life boat, was there an emergency medical device programmed to operate only on men? Did she, like, not intend to be female at the time it was installed or what?

My speculation: It was meant for Weyland and not Vickers.
Thank you Twinflame for taking to time to respond! lol
You do realize that not matter how sound your logic is while explaining the events of Prometheus, it is still all speculation, right?

Oh yeah, I'm just enjoying it.

Pretty sure David took the vase because he didn't trust the humans to do good science. Actually, the whole thing with David giving Holloway the space ooze cocktail in hopes of it helping the Old Man still works without the Old Man having given him specific instructions to do so. David had a pretty decent conversation with Holloway prior to giving him the cocktail, which was probably him deciding whether or not he hated Holloway enough to actually kill him. Which, Holloway said some pretty anti-robot crap, so yeah, David was okay with killing him.

Anyway, my conclusion is still the same. Evil space science.

Least I didn't actually attempt to use brain power to say something that took exactly 1% of the intelligence of your average fungal spore. Like Tahl. At least he got all the letters in the right order. Good job, Tahl. That'll do.

06/10/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Mazzle
My speculation: It was meant for Weyland and not Vickers.

Nau pointed this out to me almost as soon as I posted it, which I guess makes sense. I guess her master plan was to find the immortality thing before David did and convince the Old Man to love her more so that she didn't hate him and then they could live happily ever after. That is a friggin dumb plan.
And yes, I realize my questions are a mixture of plot-holes, bad writing, and (mostly) genuinely unanswered questions.

Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed this movie.
As did I. All of the gore and gooeyness was so done it just about more than redeemed all the movie's shortcomings. And I don't even like horror.

That scene with the abortion was so... Yes. More no. But, y'know. Yes. Like ogod please no. But still, y'nkow. Yes.
06/12/2012 03:18 AMPosted by Dinpik
Yeah, this sounds like a Netflix movie...

I almost bought a ticket, then I decided the same thing. Not even worth breaking the law for, even.

/ida hmanəm aɪ kja namṛtuh zdɛ:taha/…/ghʷɪvah-pjorn-ɪttham sas da:tṛ kredah/

AKA ‘This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life’.

I figured they had already set course to Earth and he recognized the species. Maybe he was offended by synthetics or thought he was saving them from Magneto.

They made the decision around 2,000 years ago to wipe us out. Maybe Christ was a diplomat and they wern't happy with our response. Maybe the general barbarity of Human history was a turn off. Perhaps they have a faction that creates and one that destroys. The two different ship designs made me wonder.

Parting Thoughts

-Crab guy was badass

-Charlize and Noomi look good

-The worms merge to form Paul Reiser
I read that Scott said they sent a diplomat 2000 years ago and he was crucified, but i doubt that it was Jesus, as Jesus was not a giant musclebound blue man. There are actual tax records of Jesus and whatnot, and the punishment for crimes back then was crucifiction.
Well that explains the biblical account of the crucifixion of Dr. Manhattan.
It was a little Avatar-ish.

Otherwise: C-section scene was great, and it almost made my lady pass out, which only makes it greater. I was holding my guts while watching it. That machine is amazing, and completely scares the poop outta me.
http://redlettermedia.com/red-letter-media-talks-about-prometheus-on-dvd/

That should answer all your questions.