for each individual fight i mean.
my preferences

Morchok : DISC (heroic)
YORSAHJ : never actually healed this one
ZON'OZZ : HOLY (heroic)
HAGARA : HOLY (heroic)
ULTRAXION : HOLY (heroic)
BLACKHORN : ehh.. either (heroic)
SPINE : HOLY (holy in normal, only attempts on heroic, holy there too)
MADNESS : HOLY (no heroic attempts yet, holy in norm though)
My list would be more like

10man: Disc (all)
25man: Holy (all)
i only do 10mans, i play with a holy pally/resto druid (more recently shaman inplace of druid), i haven't played holy much with the druid but the last 2 weeks i've been holy on pretty much all fights, even though when i've did it with the d ruid it seems to be more viable as disc
Post-nerf on 10 or 25 it doesn't really matter anymore.

Before Normal/Heroic DS became LFR 2.0 I would rate them as follows on 10 man.

Morchok: Disc
Yor'sahj: Minor edge to Disc
Ultraxion: Disc
Zon'ozz: About even
Hagara: Holy
Blackhorn: Disc
Spine: About even
Madness: Disc
Disc for everything, normal and heroic. I have no good reason to not be disc.
06/18/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Tereasaa
Disc for everything, normal and heroic. I have no good reason to not be disc

yeah im probably going to be going back to disc this next week, i just dont see how it's more useful on spine
The reasons Holy can be seen as better on spine is Lightwell, the Holy Words, and the mastery,

But I don't think it really makes a big difference on any of the fights Heroic or Normal
Post-nerf on 10 or 25 it doesn't really matter anymore.

Before Normal/Heroic DS became LFR 2.0 I would rate them as follows on 10 man.

Morchok: Disc
Yor'sahj: Minor edge to Disc
Ultraxion: Disc
Zon'ozz: About even
Hagara: Holy
Blackhorn: Disc
Spine: About even
Madness: Disc

In your opinion, why is disc better than holy for ultra?

And for everyone, this thread could be a lot more useful if people listed why they thought that spec x is better for each fight.
All: Disc
Why: Divine Aegis from Prayer of Healing. Mana regen from rapture. Mana-free casting with Inner Focus.

Morchok: Makes stomps lolrofl easy to heal through with DA, oops tank got too many stacks BAM pain supp.
Yors: I mean really, what's healing intensive about this fight?
Zon'ozz: Dome shield for one black, Divine Hymn for another, again, DA from PoH
Hagara: lol shield spam on lightning phase XD I know its wasteful, but its so funny. As if Disc has mana problems anyway...
Ultraxion: PoH+DA+Red/blue=lol
Ship: Barrier for big swirls, big shields for little swirl runners, oops tank got too many stacks BAM pain supp.
Spine: Barrier on heated nucleus or roll-stacking, lovely shielding for debuffed peoples and BEST of all - plenty of mana.
Madness: Joke. Barrier for tendrils or bolt or whatevs, plenty of mana, oh no solotanking two terrors BAM pain supp.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but there's a really great talent kinda far into the Discipline tree. It involves shielding, and is really a trademark move for a discipline healer. I find it works great in all situations, and its interaction with crit (and the large amount of crit on healing cloth) makes it extremely useful as a passive ability. It puts a shield on all targets of your Prayer of Healing spell, and anyone a heal crits on, for 30% of the value of the heal.

DIVINE AEGIS.
06/19/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Larem
In your opinion, why is disc better than holy for ultra?

Ultra could best be described as a DPS check before it was nerfed. The ability to provide minor healing while DPSing in the early part of the fight to shorten it, superior mana efficiency, access to both PW:B and DH, PI on DPS to lower the fight duration, reduced effectiveness of HW:S in 10m and greater efficiency of DA compared to EoL and Disc just brought more to the table on 10H Ultra.

In terms of the other bosses....

Yor'Sahj: I said Disc has a slight edge due to more sources of instant mana return after mana void drains (only matters on the first void and combos with blue+red up when running mostly caster DPS and no Hunter), damage reduction abilities (PW:B) being more effective on healing intensive ooze combinations and a number of other factors.

Zon'ozz: Both specs bring something to the table here. Each one has advantages in different areas but they essentially even out IMO.

Hagara: Holy has a much stronger version of DH, access to B&S and higher burst potential. I suppose it really depends on which approach and raid comp was being used for this encounter. I just know I healed the fight multiple times with both specs and Holy felt more effective, particularly in the lightning phase.

Blackhorn: Well, this fight is essentially heaven for a Discipline Priest. All of the damage comes in large predictable bursts. Disc is easily able to partially or fully mitigate all of this damage before it hits. They also bring PI to ease the DPS check and damage-reduction CD's are more useful than healing CD's for the damage pattern IMO.

Spine: Most people claim Holy is superior for this fight. I don't agree. Holy is certainly stronger at Plasma removal but IMO Disc is much stronger in other areas. On normal I think Holy is definitely the stronger spec because Plasma is the crux of the fight. On heroic I find it's a toss-up because Plasma is not the crux of the fight. It really boils down to what you need.

Madness: I said Discipline due to more effective potential for damage contribution, mana efficiency, PS actually being useful for Impales (GS isn't), access to both PW:B and DH, PI, etc. This is not to say Holy is ineffective on this fight. Holy is quite strong during the heavier AoE portions of the fight and would work fine with the proper setup.

Keep in mind this synopsis is in regard to 10H. 25H is an entirely different animal.
I use disc for everything, I'm double disc spec for PvE and PvP.. Different talent points and glyphs of course.
06/19/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Botoph
I'm padding the meter through DA stacking, but it's either they make me look bad or I make them look bad!

I knew you disc priests were trying to make us holy priests look bad on the meters! lol
With Echo of Light slowly ticking for very small heals, a holy priest will always look bad on meters, but they really are great.
I'm padding the meter through DA stacking, but it's either they make me look bad or I make them look bad!

I knew you disc priests were trying to make us holy priests look bad on the meters! lol
With Echo of Light slowly ticking for very small heals, a holy priest will always look bad on meters, but they really are great.

This is simply untrue. Those small EoL heals can do heaps of overall healing and a well-played Holy Priest can absolutely have a great showing on the meters.

People too often extrapolate incorrectly from the meters. Low healing does not necessitate the spec not being capable of great HPS/healing. Sometimes the player is healing incorrectly. Sometimes the raid is using three healers when they should be using two, or six when they should be using four. Sometimes you have a pesky Disc Priest sniping by stacking DA. And sometimes people just aren't taking that much damage.