Are we only seeing half of Azeroth?

Story Forum
Post Limit:
With the revelation of the location of the island of Pandaria on the map, I have a question--is this island near the south pole, or at the equator of Azeroth? The globes in the Halls of Lightning imply that the continents we know cover the entire face of the world north to south. But if that were true, then Pandaria would be an "antarctic" continent and be just as cold as Northrend. Clearly it is not.

What if Pandaria is really at Azeroth's equator, and there is a whole southern hemisphere we haven't seen yet? It would make sense, since the southernmost zones--Stranglethorn Vale, Silithus, Un'goro, and Tanaris, are clearly not cold enough to be so low in lattitude. Their jungle and desert climates make much more sense as equatorial regions, as does Pandaria.
It'd be cold assuming that Azeroth is tilted in the same way that earth is, and assuming that it rotates and revolves around its sun in the same fashion.

It doesn't. The sun and moon both rise and set in the same side of the sky.
Maybe the southern side is tilted towards the sun all the time? Maybe that's why it's colder in the north (and why the seasons never change :P)
I've heard that Pandaria is near the Maelstrom, although that may be nonsense.
I believe Azeroth is a round planet and we've only seen part of it so far. I also believe Draenor was a round planet before it went kablooey and we only see a tiny, tiny fraction of what it once was. There may be other fragments of Draenor floating around someplace with orcs and draenei on them, much like Outlands.
Honestly I'm going to say no. There's never been a particularly strong correlation between latitude and climate anyways, and it's even further messed up by the use of magic.

Even when that's normally the case (such as Northrend), there is always plenty of oddities. The Grizzly Hills for example has a far warmer climate then Dragonblight despite existing on roughly the same latitude. And then you have places like Sholazar Basin which only exist because magic is forcing the climate to be consistently warm.

Ultimately of course Azeroth is as big as Blizzard needs it to be. If they need to extend Azeroth much further south then they already have, they can do so. Trying to predict how big Azeroth "really" is based on how Earth's climate functions is quite honestly futile because Azeroth doesn't even have an absolute size.
06/24/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Lilfeathers
I believe Azeroth is a round planet and we've only seen part of it so far. I also believe Draenor was a round planet before it went kablooey and we only see a tiny, tiny fraction of what it once was. There may be other fragments of Draenor floating around someplace with orcs and draenei on them, much like Outlands.

All planets are round. It's part of the definition.

It can't be anything else, because gravity would naturally compress the body into a sphere over time.
It can't be anything else, because gravity would naturally compress the body into a sphere over time.

Implying "gravity" exists in Azeroth, or in WoW at all.

Judging by the floating rocks in Outlands, the fact there would be no atmosphere, if any normal planet underwent the Shattering.
You guys keep forgetting we've seen Azeroth from the sky in Black Temple.

http://www.wowpedia.org/images/c/c0/Azerothshadowmoonvalley.JPG

Yes, the climate is a little odd at times but you just have to assume MAGIC has something to do with it.

Yes, the climate is a little odd at times but you just have to assume MAGIC has something to do with it.

Interesting that even before the Cataclysm and looking from the outside Kul Tiras still was apparently too shy to appear :-P

Interesting that even before the Cataclysm and looking from the outside Kul Tiras still was apparently too shy to appear :-P

The answer is that the entire island is made of glass so when you look at it from the sky it's the same color as the water. :P
I have been wondering now that they udated the map for pandaria. But i think they will expand east or west, if you note the shipping lanes always cross in the middle of the two continents and they never cross the veiled or forbidding sea.And also has anyone really done alot of oceanic exploring since the sundering recreated all landmasses in azeroth, let alone any tectonic upheval caused by deathwing's little cataclysm
With the revelation of the location of the island of Pandaria on the map, I have a question--is this island near the south pole, or at the equator of Azeroth? The globes in the Halls of Lightning imply that the continents we know cover the entire face of the world north to south. But if that were true, then Pandaria would be an "antarctic" continent and be just as cold as Northrend. Clearly it is not.

What if Pandaria is really at Azeroth's equator, and there is a whole southern hemisphere we haven't seen yet? It would make sense, since the southernmost zones--Stranglethorn Vale, Silithus, Un'goro, and Tanaris, are clearly not cold enough to be so low in lattitude. Their jungle and desert climates make much more sense as equatorial regions, as does Pandaria.

The Titans terraformed the planet, there are mountains between most zones, and the game is made from a bit of an Euro-centric point of view. WoW isn't about realism.
Even when that's normally the case (such as Northrend), there is always plenty of oddities. The Grizzly Hills for example has a far warmer climate then Dragonblight despite existing on roughly the same latitude. And then you have places like Sholazar Basin which only exist because magic is forcing the climate to be consistently warm.

I believe according to the lore Northrend was once actually fairly temperate/not a frozen wasteland and was the blue dragonflight's home. Then, after Deatwing's betrayal and the sundering, when most blue dragons had been killed, Maligose went into a rage of depression and reduced Northrend to its current state.
I thought it was turtles all the way down?
The Halls of Lightning and Ulduar featured globes of Azeroth, which admittedly looked a hot mess, but showed the two land masses of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms as the dominant features on its surface. Blizz may keep plopping continents down on it, but at this time, what you see as far as Azeroth goes is what you get. No magical unexplored extra half of the planet.
Hopefully we're done with Azeroth after the expansion after mop. This way we can move on to other planets.

Like a dark planet full of Eradar that also exiled themselves from the main population to stay away from demonic influences. However, the Naaru didn't help them escape so they turned to Shadow Magic instead of light. Not out of spite but because that's the main magic source the planet had to offer.
We can't assume Azeroth's climate works like Earth's climate, because Azeroth is a fantasy world.

We know Azeroth is spherically shaped and the southern parts of the continents lie near the south pole:

View from SMV: http://www.wowpedia.org/images/c/c0/Azerothshadowmoonvalley.JPG

Titan's map of Azeroth visible during Algalon encounter in Uld: http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2012/04/algalon.jpg

So given WoW's climate it seems that whatever keeps Azeroth warm has a north-south orientation and warms the southern part of Azeroth the most and the north the least.
wasn't it said that azeroth being seen from shadowmoon was just an easter egg?

and hasn't it been confirmed by blizzard azeroth is the earth's size?