Supplemental Info/Not-obvious Fun Facts in RP

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 15 16 17 Next
Let's talk more about armor!

Chainmail armor was invented pretty early on, but was extremely complex to make. However, the thing about it is that it's very easy to repair, since any broken or damaged parts can simply be replaced with new links. As a result, as the years passed, it became more and more common, since even a three hundred year old suit of chainmail could still be in perfectly working order.

Chainmail was a lightish [10 or so lbs for a shirt, 20 for a full set, roughly] , but very protective armor primarily designed to guard against slashes and chops from lighter weapons. Typically, it was worn over thick padding that provided limited protection against blunt weapons as well, but those could still inflict trauma through the mail with a solid blow, so it was best not to risk it.

With the interlinked design, the mail was able to protect the wearer from sword slashes and glancing axe blows. The biggest danger to a chainmail wearer is always thrusting attacks, as chain is thin and tends to break somewhat easily. The more pressure being applied to a smaller point, the worse chainmail guards against it. Daggers were always a large threat, as well as spears.

Brigandine leather is somewhat similar, with a bit less slashing protection and a bit more against blunt trauma. The leather basis for the armor absorbed impact well, allowing it to mitigate some of the damage from hammer and mace blows, while the studs built into the armor provided limited protection against slashes. Obviously, the greatest advantage of brigandine and other kinds of studded leather is the light weight and flexibility, topping out at only 4-6 lbs for a chestpiece, roughly, and 10-12 for a full suit.
This thread is amazing. I'm not much of an RPer, but I do write fantasy, and this info will definitely help me.

I haven't had a chance to read every page yet, so forgive me if any of this has already been covered, but I'd like to make some contributions of my own. I'm a casual practitioner of archery, so let's start with that.

As someone above me mentioned, you need a bracer on the arm that will be holding your bow. This is a sheath of some hardy material (usually leather) that will protect your arm should the bowstring slide along it after being fired. Ideally, you should turn the hand holding the bow inward so the string can't hit your arm, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I have an extremely small, dinky, weak little bow, and even so, getting hit by its string hurts like you would not believe. I suspect a truly powerful longbow's string could take your skin clean off if you didn't use a bracer.

Also, unless you're firing at point blank range (which is not a good situation to be in for fairly obvious reasons), you generally don't want to aim directly at your target. A bow is not a gun and should not be treated as one. The art of archery is all about judging trajectories -- it's like a physics class come to life. The simple explanation is you want to aim somewhat above what you're trying to hit, but exactly how far above can be a very complicated thing to figure out. Archery has an enormous amount of nuance. And then there's wind to consider...

On the subject of swords, I can't speak from personal experience, but a recreationist acquaintance of mine told me the best way to wield a one-handed sword is using only your first three fingers. It takes getting used to, but according to her, it gives you more control and precision.

Moving on...

I don't know how much this would help RP, but make sure you get weather and environmental stuff right. For example, as a Canadian, I can always tell when a writer is from a warm climate by their descriptions of winter. I particularly cringed from a Raymond Feist novel where he was describing a particularly cold winter day that had freezing rain, snow drifts, and icicles.

No. Bad writer. Snow only blows into drifts when it is very dry and loose -- this can only happen in conditions of extreme cold. Freezing rain can only happen when conditions are at or above the freezing mark -- warm and wet weather, which will prevent snow from drifting. Icicles, too, are generally a symptom of relatively warm weather (they form from snow melt), though they can also result from strong sunlight on an otherwise cold day.

Remember that snow is not homogenous. It can be light and loose, thick and wet, it can have a crust of ice on top. It can be a light, loose layer on top of a crust of ice on top of thick, dense snow. Generally, the easiest to walk through is old snow that has been packed into a hardened state. Loose snow is slippery (especially when dry, oddly enough), wet snow is heavy and hard to slog through. Ice crusts can trip you. Snow only packs or sticks to itself in relatively warm weather -- you're not going to be having snowball fights when it's -10C.

That's all I got for now.

Yes to arm bracers when shooting bows. Some types of bows and in some cultures they are not used, but it's very wise to use these if at all possible because that crap does -hurt-. I started on a 35lb draw recurve (minimum requirement for hunting most game, I was about 13 at the time) and I whacked myself a few times with the bow string on release. URGH. It teaches you not to forget your brace pretty quickly. Even at that draw weight I had some nice welts and bruises.

Also yes about the snow. Snow is usually only "powdery" when there's little actual moisture in the air and it's very, very cold. Otherwise, the snow is typically thick, wet and very heavy (I've shoveled enough of it to know it can feel like shoveling cement -_- ) and doesn't blow around.

One thing that drives me batty about movies is they often use their snow machines to cover both sides of tree trunks or create very unrealistic looking drifts in random places. Snow is like sand or anything else. It blows in the direction of the wind and VERY RARELY does that mean it's going to cover both sides of a tree from top to bottom. If it's straight down snow with now wind, then it doesn't stick to the trunk of the tree anyway and gathers on the branches.
A large majority of this I already knew, but I have to say that the two successive posts on economics had some great information. Shame I don't have any glorious hobbies to help out this thread; unless someone is role-playing as an astrophysicist.

Now, if only there were opportunities to do sailing RP in WoW, I'd rock the seas.
I was backreading some more, and I came across a post about magic. I'll echo that it needs to be handled consistently and logically, but it also occurred to me I could offer some insight on real world magic, as I've done a fair bit of research on this.

Now, obviously, magic doesn't exist in the real world, but a lot of cultures believed it did for a very long time, and there are a lot of common themes in their beliefs that can form a good basis for magic systems in fantasy/RP.

Broadly, magic can be divided into two major categories: sympathetic magic, and antipathetic magic.

Despite its friendly sounding name, sympathetic magic tends to be the nastier one. At its root, sympathetic magic exploits the connections between certain things. Its core principles include "like calls to like" and "as above, so below."

Often, how this manifests is trying to acquire some connection to someone in order to harm or control them. If you have someone's toenail clippings or hair or whatever, you can use that to cast a curse on them. Some cultures believed objects belonging to a person or even the indent they left in their mattress could grant you power over them. This also why sorcerers traditionally concealed their true names. Names, especially, have power in sympathetic magic. In WoW, this means that your frost mage or warlock might summon their pet by knowing its true name.

Voodoo dolls are also a great example of sympathetic magic.

Sympathetic magic also involves things like cannibalism, blood sacrifice, and the like. It was common practice in many ancient cultures to eat the internal organs of an enemy warrior after a battle (usually the heart or liver) to gain their strength and/or courage. This might also be why people consume animal organs as "medical" cures and aphrodisiacs, though I'm just guessing there. Bathing in the blood of virgins to preserve one's youth is also an example of this kind of magic.

This would especially be relevant to WoW in the cases of Trolls and Forsaken. You're not necessarily eating your enemies because Night Elves are deliciously gr-ape flavoured (although they are), but possibly to gain their strength/courage/knowledge, or even to gain control of their soul.

On a more positive note, sympathetic magic could be used to defeat darker forces by destroying them in effigy. This even includes negative aspects of yourself. Write down something about yourself you dislike and throw it into the fire as a cheap form of self-help.

Antipathetic magic involves countering something with its opposite. A good example of this would be splashing someone with holy water to exorcize a demon that has possessed them.

People often believed certain substances were pure or acted as counters to evil forces. These include: salt, cold iron, silver, sage smoke, and countless other materials, herbs, and chemicals. Any of these could be used in RP.

Lots of opportunities for antipathetic magic exist in WoW. Counter a fire elemental with water or frost magic. Render a necromancer powerless with druidic or shamanic magic that fosters life. Etc..

In-game examples of the types: paladin abilities like exorcism or censure are antipathetic magic. You're driving out the evil with the Light. Shaman totems or anything with reagents are sympathetic magic. You're using an object to channel or represent a greater power.

On a more modern note, I'm fond of using modern science as a basis for magic systems. For example, the notion that matter is stored energy. All the universe being energy in one form or another is the best explanation for arcane magic I can think of.

And remember: all magic comes with a price.
This thread was extremely informative. Thanks to all who contributed.
Reviving this thread for more information.

Also, how exactly do you use a crossbow?
Live, thread, live!
I want to contribute to bring this back to life, because it was amazing when it lived strong, but everything I can contribute has already been said. ._.
Bump

Also never twirl. That will get you killed.

I twirled once as a joke when using my shinai (bamboo swords for kendo) with a friend, and by some fraction of dumb luck I managed to not only not get hit by him, I tagged him in the side of the head somehow. However, that's not to say the other 5 times I twirled as a joke ended well. They didn't.
Been a while since I saw or posted in this thread but her goes another post. Since I have worked on them before I am going to discuss the internal combustion engine. Kinda got thinking of this while looking at the Mekgineer's Chopper and the Mechano-Hog.

Motorcycles are either a two stroke of four stroke engine.

A Two stroke engine(this is what many dirt bike engines have in them) is made up of a piston, piston rings, crank, sparkplug, exhaust, intake port and an engine cylinder. When the piston rises up the mixture of the air and fuel is compressed and then incomes the spark plug which ignites the air/fuel mixture, this causes a little explosion within the cylinder which goes on to activate the pistons and makes the crank rotate. When the piston goes to its original placing the exhaust comes into play and leaves the exhaust port and on and on it goes at a very speedy rate.

Four Stroke Engines (which is what your bigger bikes and most car engines and I am supposing the Chopper and Hog have) comprise of a piston, piston rings, a crank, crankshaft, a sparkplug and of course an engine cylinder. Four Stroke have multiple camshafts, lobes and stems, timing chain, intake and exhaust valves, these extras means that not only does the Four Stroke have an altered look it also has a different process as well.

The four strokes are
1.Intake stroke: The piston starts at the top, the intake valve opens, and the piston moves down to let the engine take in a cylinder-full of air and gasoline. Only the tiniest drop of gasoline needs to be mixed into the air for this to work.

2.Compression stroke :Then the piston moves back up to compress this fuel/air mixture. Compression makes the explosion more powerful.

3.Combustion stroke:When the piston reaches the top of its stroke, the spark plug emits a spark to ignite the gasoline. The gasoline charge in the cylinder explodes, driving the piston down.

4.Exhaust stroke:Once the piston hits the bottom of its stroke, the exhaust valve opens and the exhaust leaves the cylinder to go out the tailpipe.

In an engine the linear motion(straight line) of the pistons is converted into rotational motion by the crankshaft. The rotational motion is nice because we plan to turn (rotate) the bike's wheels with it anyway.

Here are some terms and definaitions for the items in an engine.
Spark plug

The spark plug supplies the spark that ignites the air/fuel mixture so that combustion can occur. The spark must happen at just the right moment for things to work properly.

Valves

The intake and exhaust valves open at the proper time to let in air and fuel and to let out exhaust. Note that both valves are closed during compression and combustion so that the combustion chamber is sealed.

Piston

A piston is a cylindrical piece of metal that moves up and down inside the cylinder.

Piston rings

Piston rings provide a sliding seal between the outer edge of the piston and the inner edge of the cylinder. The rings serve two purposes:
•They prevent the fuel/air mixture and exhaust in the combustion chamber from leaking into the sump during compression and combustion.
•They keep oil in the sump from leaking into the combustion area, where it would be burned and lost.

Most vehicles that "burn oil" and have to have a quart added every 1,000 miles are burning it because the engine is old and the rings no longer seal things properly.

Connecting rod

The connecting rod connects the piston to the crankshaft. It can rotate at both ends so that its angle can change as the piston moves and the crankshaft rotates.

Crankshaft

The crankshaft turns the piston's up and down motion into circular motion just like a crank on a jack-in-the-box does.

Sump

The sump surrounds the crankshaft. It contains some amount of oil, which collects in the bottom of the sump (the oil pan).

The lubrication system makes sure that every moving part in the engine gets oil so that it can move easily. The two main parts needing oil are the pistons (so they can slide easily in their cylinders) and any bearings that allow things like the crankshaft and camshafts to rotate freely. In most vehicles, oil is sucked out of the oil pan by the oil pump, run through the oil filter to remove any grit, and then squirted under high pressure onto bearings and the cylinder walls. The oil then trickles down into the sump, where it is collected again and the cycle repeats.
Bump
Very informative!
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump
I actually have no idea how this would be useful to someone's RP but you never know!!

Chest Binding:

This would not be for a female character binding her chest for battle, except for maybe the double sports bra method. Wearing an actual binder is probably way too restrictive breathing wise. This would definitely be more for a lady trying to crossdress or disguise herself as a guy.

Bandages: No, bad. You will get scars or otherwise seriously hurt yourself. I've never bound with bandages and I recommend that ladies, even in fiction, avoid this method--if your character DOES bind this way please be aware of the dangers involved! It might make for some interesting RP.

Double Bras: Take one sports bra, put it on regular. Take the other sports bra and put it on backwards, fitting it over your chest so that it minimizes your boobs. Done!! This is great for casual binding... You won't get 100% flat with this method (especially if your character has anything bigger than As, which they probably do because let's face it, boobs). This is probably the most comfortable way to bind.

Binder: You'd have to ask someone else what binders on Azeroth would be made of, this is just the experience of wearing one. First off, pulling binders over your head is difficult and gives me unpleasant "I'm going to get stuck oh god" feelings so I put it on via stepping into it and pulling it up as explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbHM7Lp6jp0

I have had most experience binding with an actual binder, and I'll say this: You have to get used to it. The first time I put it on it hurt like a motherfckr--my boobs were NOT happy. The longest I've worn it was about 10-11 hours, though you shouldn't bind for more than 6. The first time I exerted myself wearing a binder (playing laser tag) I thought I was going to die, but the next time I did it I had very few problems. So your body does adjust to it. However taking it off is a VERY nice feeling.

One last thing: If your gal has big boobs, she will NOT be able to get flat. For Ds (and possibly Cs, someone else will have to verify this) and bigger it just isn't possible and they won't be convincing anyone they're a guy any time soon. Thankfully on Azeroth there's illusion magic, haha.

Source: A lot of crossplaying.

Also expect a giant post on wilderness survival stuff when I get on my main computer that has all the bookmarked links.
bumpin' it.
06/25/2012 05:19 PMPosted by Nephted
Fish is an animal. Fish meat is meat. No exceptions.

That's only for vegans.

Fish meat is not meat, hence why it is considered edible on fridays during lent.
01/01/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Methodmann

That's only for vegans.

Fish meat is not meat, hence why it is considered edible on fridays during lent.

It's ok to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings.

That's only for vegans.

Which isn't truth. Lent changed much during the last thousand years or so. For many years, eggs and dairy were also forbidden, as said by Aquinas himself. In eastern catholic and ortodox churches, fish meat is also forbidden, currently.

Meat was forbidden cause in lent you are supposed to give up certain luxuries as form of penitance. Fish was considered a "sub-standard" kind of food, comparing to red meat and even chicken meat back in the middle ages, and that it didn't delivered the same kind of pleasure of eating, or the same nutrients as those two.

The pope already said that people should fast depending on their economical situation, and that fasting could be exchanged for praying and work of charity.