Supplemental Info/Not-obvious Fun Facts in RP

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 3 4 5 17 Next
Remember that although it is a feudal society for the most part, it is not fully pre-industrial. Technologically, it's a lot closer to the real world than many realize.

Sure they don't have an internet yet, but they do have:...

I don't think anyone in this thread is intending to ignore the technology that is present in game, nor is anyone trying to claim WoW is a fully feudal society. It just sort of comes up when you're debunking modern day assumptions and mindsets.

I think you can make an argument as whether certain things exist in-game like the printing press and assembly line but this isn't technically the thread for that. The point of this thread is to share knowledge, so that players can roleplay things they have little or no experience with in real life.

06/25/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Zieto
Someone needs to post a bunch of stuff about basic mechanics/upkeep/injuries from contraptions like you'd see with goblins/gnomes~

However, that is a related idea that is on topic! I wish we could get a mechanic up in here.

06/26/2012 03:36 AMPosted by Tanria
As for my experiences, I know a thing or two about oil painting and artistic materials, so if people are interested on that subject, I'd be happy to share a few things.

Please, please do! I have artist friends but don't know too much about the process myself.
If anyone needs information on veterinary care (hunter pets, mount care, etc.) I can give a brief overview of the important points, depending on species.
06/26/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Ellister
If anyone needs information on veterinary care (hunter pets, mount care, etc.) I can give a brief overview of the important points, depending on species.

Do it!

Can you do care of chocobos for belfs?
Can you do care of chocobos for tauren?

Teehee!

But, no, seriously. Break it down, Ellister!
I don't want to thread spam, which species would you like first? I could tackle canids and felids first, they seem to be the most popular.
06/26/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Ellister
I don't want to thread spam, which species would you like first? I could tackle canids and felids first, they seem to be the most popular.

Felines for sure, and birds maybe?

I unfortunately don't have much useful information to share, but I agree on the note that we should have a mechanic-y person around to help me with information for my engineer(s). Also, anyone know anything about dealing with precious gems/metals and jewelry? As I was reading through this thread, I saw some stuff I was wrong about in other places, so I might as well ask.
I have a working knowledge of varying types of machinery. I'll answer what questions I can.
06/26/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Ellister

Horses and other mounts!
On fortune telling:

If you use cards that are based on Tarot, there’s one big thing you need to know:

Death is not bad.

More often than not, the Death card signifies the end of something. Since it’s part of the Major Arcana, that “something” is a major event in a person’s life. So yes, in certain occasions this can be a good card to get. That’s not to say that sometimes Death really does mean death, it just depends on the reading.

Remember, kids: a creepy skeleton bearing a scythe often makes for a good horror prop and bad Hollywood movies.

If any card should inspire fear, I would suggest the Tower.
The moral of this thread; Real life and fiction do not mix well. There's a reason authors use artistic license. Realism is boring.
Anyone have any care tips for the "special" animals, like Corehounds, Spirit Beasts, ghost animals, fire spiders, etc? Also, Outland creatures. Do they have different needs than whatever "normal" animal is related closest to them? Obviously some of this would be pure speculation, but it'd be something for me and others to chew on when working with some of the less realistic animals.

I also have a few specific questions:

- Do/Would Scavengers attack undead/Forsaken/Death Knights or does the movement/noises/whatever keep them from trying to eat them?

- Are there any animals that are intelligent other than Raptors?

- Multi-headed animals, would/could they have any behavioral problems or special care? (Like can only a single head get an infection/sick and you'd have to prevent the spread to the other head or would it always hit both heads or would it depend on what's wrong?)
Basic Animal Husbandry - Canine, Feline, Equine

*disclaimer: this is very basic and limited, meant for those who've never cared for animals. Its also representative of the level of care likely present in the Warcraft universe, not in real life!

Nutrition
-Feline: animal protein only! Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they only need meat.
-Canine: mostly animal protein, random scraps of your own food acceptable
-Equine: grass forage/pasture is ideal, but would likely also eat grains if kept in a stable.
-animals should be fed twice a day at least, possibly more frequently when working them hard. Feed them as much as they wish, since they are working hard they require a high caloric intake. Access to clean fresh water is absolutely necessary. You would have to take breaks when riding to allow them to drink, eat and rest.

Grooming
-look after paws – check for stones, mats, or cuts. Trim the nails as often as needed, usually once every week or two.
-look after hooves – they need to be cleaned out with a pick regularly and checked for stones, abscesses, laminitis (swelling in the hoof, can be life threatening). Many horses require shoes that are fitted by a farrier. They need to be trimmed appropriately as well, something that should also be done by a farrier.
-brushing is important – should be brushed daily if possible when travelling/working, and dematting may be necessary. Shaving/shearing is helpful especially in hot climates or if the hair cannot be kept clean.
-bathing – usually only done if they are quite dirty
-check their teeth – look in the mouth frequently, dental issues can have a huge impact on the performance of animals. Horses may require “floating” of their teeth, particularly if kept in a stable. This means a file is used to even out the surfaces of their teeth, as uneven tooth wear results in hooks and ramps (sharp projections that cut into the cheeks). Abscesses, missing or broken teeth, and ulcers can all form and be painful enough to prevent an animal from eating.
-clean the ears – done whenever buildup is noted in the ears, can use water or a gentle cleanser. Use soft fabric, and never stick anything down there to clean them (only go as far as your finger can fit).

First Aid
-Fractures – stabilize with a splint that encompasses the joint above and below the break, then try to find a settlement where you can get help and the animal can rest. It takes weeks to months for fractures to heal. A note on horses: if your horse (or horse-like) mount breaks its leg, in the Warcraft universe it would probably not be possible to fix it.
-Bleeding – use pressure and bandages to stem the flow, then assess after the bleeding has stopped. Depending on the extent of the wound and if an artery is involved, pressure will often be enough.
-Digestive Upset/Accidental Ingestion – salt water or hydrogen peroxide (if you have access to it) are likely the only two things available in the Warcraft universe that could be used to make an animal throw up. If an animal breaks with diarrhea and/or vomiting keep them hydrated with water (may need to force them to drink, squeezing it into their mouth) and take them off food for a day or two (except horses, allow them access to limited amounts of forage).
-Wound Care – if on the road, try to clean out the wound as best as you can using clean water and gently removing any tissue that looks dead. Pack the wound with clean fabric bandages, change them and clean the wound daily. A waterproof cover over the bandage is ideal if possible. Don’t let the animal lick or chew at it.
-Colic - this is abdominal pain, and is a big problem in horses that can be fatal. It can be caused by dozens of things. While travelling the best way to manage a colicking horse would be to try and pass a stomach tube via the nose into the esophagus (if you have something that could be jerry-rigged into one) to relieve pressure in the stomach, and to give the horse any pain medications you have available. Keeping the horse drinking and eating small amounts is also a good idea.

Preventative Medicine
-tooth floating – may or may not be needed by horses
-hoof trimming/shaping and shoeing – should be done by a farrier or by someone with similar expertise
-exercise – if your animal will be needed for combat, work, or endurance riding/running, they will need to be conditioned to have the strength and stamina to do so
-training – all working animals are highly trained, this can take months to years to perfect and requires constant reinforcement and improvement
Chainmail is actually more restricting than plate armor.
Anyone have any care tips for the "special" animals, like Corehounds, Spirit Beasts, ghost animals, fire spiders, etc? Also, Outland creatures. Do they have different needs than whatever "normal" animal is related closest to them? Obviously some of this would be pure speculation, but it'd be something for me and others to chew on when working with some of the less realistic animals.

I also have a few specific questions:

- Do/Would Scavengers attack undead/Forsaken/Death Knights or does the movement/noises/whatever keep them from trying to eat them?

- Are there any animals that are intelligent other than Raptors?

- Multi-headed animals, would/could they have any behavioral problems or special care? (Like can only a single head get an infection/sick and you'd have to prevent the spread to the other head or would it always hit both heads or would it depend on what's wrong?)

Though I'm not immensely knowledgeable about creatures, I can do some speculation.

I wouldn't imagine Scavengers would attack undead/forsaken/death knights. They're probably too decomposed to be appetizing in most cases, and likely smell of infection that scavengers usually avoid.

Intelligent animals? Depends on what kind of intelligence you're talking. Probably spirit beasts. Monkeys are relatively intelligent generally, Silithids might be intelligent, or perhaps just run on a hive mentality, I'm not sure.

Multi-headed animals: I'd imagine if one head got an infection or sick, both would have it. Unless the particular animal you're dealing with has separate brains and organs for each head. Behavioral issues could exist in one head, but not the other, with separate brains as well.

Care tips: I don't imagine ghost animals or spirit beasts would need to be fed, watered, or even require rest.

-For corehounds, we've seen in most cases they seem to be carnivores and don't require any special food, though they likely need large quantities.

-Fire Spiders... might not need any food either, I can't recall any specific prey animals in -Firelands. They might eat the little insects and such we see around...

-Outlands Animals: Most species can probably make due with Azeroth native foods and the like. I would say there's some trial and error involved, and some things could result in sick pets. I'd try to find roughly equivalent areas (So, hellfire and Durotar, for example) and pick vegetation and prey animals from those areas, as they're as close to the creature's "native habitat" as possible.
As a rogue, it's generally a good idea to know a few things about anatomy. (Which I happen to know very little about, but still can contribute a little.)

For instance, the solar plexus, a bundle of nerves that's behind the stomach. It's basically that area slightly under your ribs, that when you get punched there, everything suddenly aches and gets hard to breathe. (Which is because a blow to the stomach in front of the solar plexus upsets it, causing the diaphragm to spasm).

So just imagine jamming a sword into that area.

That's all. Bye.
More fun facts about tarot:

- your average tarot deck has 78 cards: 22 cards that make up the Major Arcana and 56 cards that make up the Minor Arcana.

- the Major Arcana cards include cards like the Fool, Death, the World, the Tower, the Lovers, etc.

- the Minor Arcana cards are like your average deck of playing cards. There are four suits (staves or wands, pentacles or coins, swords, and cups), and each suit has ten numbered cards (ace to 10) and four face cards (page, knight, queen, king).

- each of the suits in the Minor Arcana corresponds to one of the four traditional elements: wands/staves to wind, cups to water, pentacles/coins to earth, and swords to fire.

- the meaning of the cards isn't fixed. The cards aren't a dictionary that you can open up and say "oh hey, Death! That always means change or releasing something!" Think of tarot cards more as a piece of literature of which you're interpreting the symbols. Sometimes, they can have a literal meaning (e.g., I always giggle when my druid is doing a tarot reading for a death knight and--surprise!--Death comes up). Sometimes, the meaning is more figurative. The best tarot readers know how to look at the symbols on the cards and apply them to the life of the person they're reading for, whether it's themselves or someone else.

- readings are thought to be most effective when the person about whose life the reading will tell is the one to shuffle the deck and choose the cards. Generally speaking, that person should also keep in mind any specific questions they want answered in the reading.

- readings are also most effective when they involve a significator, which is a card chosen to represent the reader/person about whom the reading will tell in the reading. In something like a celtic cross reading, the significator is placed underneath the central cards to indicate the person's place in the reading.

- the best known type of reading is called a celtic cross. This reading involves ten cards that give you details about a central issue. The celtic cross tells you about the inhibitions of the issue, the past surrounding the issue, potential outcomes of the issue, the resources a person has, and how the person views him or herself.

- tarot cards are not necessarily fortune telling devices. They can hint at the future, but the future is so nebulous and always changing that they probably won't be completely accurate. Tarot cards work best when they're used to provide insight into a person's current situation, encouraging a person to look at the situation in a new light.

- everything about the tarot comes down to interpretation. What I see when I look at a spread of cards might be completely different from what someone else sees. The key is to keep your mind open to whatever possibilities may present themselves.

- also, if you're going to do IC tarot readings, I highly recommend facade.com as a source. You can generate cards there randomly, and they're always eerily accurate and stupid amounts of fun.
On fortune telling:

If you use cards that are based on Tarot, there’s one big thing you need to know:

Death is not bad.

More often than not, the Death card signifies the end of something. Since it’s part of the Major Arcana, that “something” is a major event in a person’s life. So yes, in certain occasions this can be a good card to get. That’s not to say that sometimes Death really does mean death, it just depends on the reading.

Remember, kids: a creepy skeleton bearing a scythe often makes for a good horror prop and bad Hollywood movies.

If any card should inspire fear, I would suggest the Tower.

^This.

And the Tower, as it signifies drastic events that cause division, can even be GOOD in the long run (even if the actual event it may be alluding to is not a good thing in general).

Tarot is also not really very... um, good? Lets just use that word- good at predicting exact future events. It can and does do so, sometimes, kinda, but rarely are such things set in stone and the main goal of many a Tarot reading is less to predict specific events and more to gain a deeper understanding of WHY the events might happen. A self-meditation, if you will. Not to say it can't, but it is rarer then the meditation exercise in general.

All cards have more than one meaning, and it often matters what they mean to you and why they appear. Multiple readings will often give a better idea, especially if the same card appears again and again, no matter how much you shuffle it.

Death usually symbolizes Transformation, depending on the cards surrounding. (And that's another thing- each card doesn't stand on it's own, the cards surrounding it will influence what the other means.)

...At least, that is just what i have read so far, and I am certainly not a professional reader, so consider this information 'popular opinion among the Tarot readers I have asked, which is a small number'.

*EDIT

And Senkha pretty much said everything I did and more in a much more concise manner. XD

Looks like we got a lot of Tarot peeps here. /high-five!