AUSTRALIAN SERVERS massage to blizzard.

Oceanic General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 3 4 5
#1 blizz actually contacted telstra about putting a server in Sydney back at the start of BC, they declined the offer.

#2 Dont QQ about latency i got glad with 180ms so if you cant play the game normally with that then i don't know what to tell you.

#3 this thread will go no where and get nothing done, i just wanted to join in :(

Telstra demanded blizzard add telstra logo to the game. And pay 10 times the amount blizzard had to to host them in the US. It wasn't feasible.

As we get more 'competition' or 'if' we do. Prices should come down, and hosting should be easier.
08/29/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Spectralz
Australian servers aren't viable. Too expensive, our data-center's are overpriced and !@#$. If you want to blame someone, blame the Australian telecommunication industry for overcharging.

Blame telstra for having a monopoly for so long. And the liberals for destroying infrastructure. Or refusing to invest in it(They even threatened to roll back the adsl2 rollout. Which would cost more to remove atm than it would to finish it. and massively disadvantage businesses. We had 3rd world standard internet services before its rollout)

Also blame Labour for not fixing it fast enough when in power.
It's Labor's fault.
Why are we giving blizzard a massage?
Blizzard aren't going to do anything when 80% of the posts in this thread aren't even in English.
I posted my support of this thread on another character but, i just learned of another issue that Australian players are faced with. Pvping as a hunter is particularly gimped considering the trap mechanics are of such little range and the given activation time, when aimed and fired at an incoming target, it doesn't trigger (considering a major point of hunter CC/control comes from traps, its pretty game-breaking) . They simply run over it as if nothing had happened. To premeditate a successful trap activation is simply impossible.
06/29/2012 05:11 AMPosted by Stinkytoes
I'm sure Blizzard would appreciate a nice massage.

I could use one too!
If most/all Australians quit there subs for even 30DAYS , they will be guarantee NOTICE from blizzard , we might need to take drastic measure to get our Australian severs its just absurd and unfair.
Why on earth are we (Australians) still banging on about this?

Have you any idea how much money or player base we represent to the overall gaming community? Australians seem to suffer constantly from thinking they are bigger than they are.

We won't get the servers, stop whining about it, stop creating threads about it and move on. Why no blue post? Because you're all still whining about the same issues for years and years!

For as many games that have/had Aussie based servers (SW:TOR was the only notable one - Warhammer had them then pulled them), Blizzard do pretty well to even give an Oceanic timezoned server. In the scheme of things, we're not exactly hard done by.

After 8 years, it's time to move on people.

rofl, your a pathetic whimsical little so and so in RL, am i right? i'm sure if someone told you to jump off a cliff you would.
Absolutely stupid comments to back up DISGRACEFUL customer service.
SWTOR and WAR have provided upto 5 servers immediately on release without knowing what numbers they truly had, and I know for a fact due to data collected years ago, I remember reading, that there were around 300,000 Oceanic subscribers in this near vicinity.
So 300,000 x $15/month = $4.5 million a month, and these pr**ks cbf hosting like 5 servers? worth what? $4,000 each to build and how much to maintain a year? Couple grand max.?
Absolutely pathetic service plain and simple, considering $4.5 million x 12 months x 6 years.

Firstly, personal attacks are just that, personal and show the depth of your argument.

Your example of SW:TOR and Warhammer demonstrate the ridiculousness of their business model. No smart business would set up servers anywhere if they could not define the subscription or income they would get from it. Clearly, as evidenced by the successive outcomes of both those games, their business model failed. Hardly a basis on which to attempt to convince Blizzard to change their long-held business arrangements.

Your understanding of the costs of servers (in any degree, let alone gaming) is laughable at best. Do you honestly believe that these games run on residential quality connections with homemade server farms backing them up? $4000 is what I spent on my machine to play WoW. You, Sir, are quoting very outdated figures indeed. With my current and previous experience in servicing server farms, I doubt they would get much change out of $50mil for establishment of the current server loads, on the gound, in Australia. Nevermind ongoing costs which would run into the millions every year.

Even quoting 5 servers is ridiculous as Oceanic clearly has more (with approximately 1.315 million characters NOT accounts - that would be approximately 131,500 accounts assuming each person filled only 10 slots. We know it would actually be less as I for one, have nearly 20 characters over different Oceanic realms). - http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

So, at a current level of perhaps 150,000 current accounts (can't include dormant or no longer subscribed, but it would probably be conservative. *Maybe* 200k tops) that's $13 per month ($15 is for fools who buy game cards from retailers - 6 monthly subs are approx $12.833 per month) x 200k (at most) x 12 = $31.2m AUD per annum. Do you really think they're making that much from Australia? I don't.

You're missing the point.

We're 8 years into a game that is established, working and generating an expected income for shareholders. If you had a business model that worked, why would you chuck good money down the drain to set up servers you don't need for a market that you already have? They are a company with shareholders to answer too.

You ARE being petulant. You sound like my kids stamping their feet when I say no to lollies. Blizzard don't have to do ANYTHING. You are in no place to demand squat. It's not bad customer service because that implies at some point they promised you Australian based servers and they DIDN'T! Where's the Blue post on this? Where's Blizzard tripping up over themselves because they fear that a handful of self-righteous Aussies are going to cry and leave? They don't care. That's not a bad on their part. They have delivered and in many cases exceeded what is expected of gamers when they started this (remember, 2004). It's YOUR expectations that have changed. The disappointment is yours. Deal with it.
"Your example of SW:TOR and Warhammer demonstrate the ridiculousness of their business model. No smart business would set up servers anywhere if they could not define the subscription or income they would get from it. Clearly, as evidenced by the successive outcomes of both those games, their business model failed. Hardly a basis on which to attempt to convince Blizzard to change their long-held business arrangements."

SW:TOR and Warhammer were BAD games in general , I doubt there severs in Australia were there downfall , your logic is flawed?

"Your understanding of the costs of servers (in any degree, let alone gaming) is laughable at best. Do you honestly believe that these games run on residential quality connections with homemade server farms backing them up? $4000 is what I spent on my machine to play WoW. You, Sir, are quoting very outdated figures indeed. With my current and previous experience in servicing server farms, I doubt they would get much change out of $50mil for establishment of the current server loads, on the gound, in Australia. Nevermind ongoing costs which would run into the millions every year"

4k per annum probably not , 50 mill for establishment I doubt , millions every year I also doubt unless you have proof or mathematics calculations that prove otherwise.

Even if it cost millions per year they still have servers all over the world except Australia.
Even if it cost millions per year they still are making , well from your calculations 31mill
If they can do it in KOREA which is a fairly small country they surely can make a server in the ACTUAL OCEANIC REGION which will still lower the latency and be considerably cheaper.

Servers in KOREA , Servers in EU , Servers in China , Servers Russia , Australians should not be left out

"Even quoting 5 servers is ridiculous as Oceanic clearly has more (with approximately 1.315 million characters NOT accounts - that would be approximately 131,500 accounts assuming each person filled only 10 slots. We know it would actually be less as I for one, have nearly 20 characters over different Oceanic realms). - http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html"

Not each person will have 10 slots filled , I for one , have nearly 2 slots filled and have been playing for 5-6years"

":We're 8 years into a game that is established, working and generating an expected income for shareholders. If you had a business model that worked, why would you chuck good money down the drain to set up servers you don't need for a market that you already have? They are a company with shareholders to answer too. "

So your saying since its been 8 years , and the game is established , the market is there , they needn't answer to our expectations. I dont like this part the most of your post and clearly your missing the point.

"You ARE being petulant. You sound like my kids stamping their feet when I say no to lollies. Blizzard don't have to do ANYTHING. You are in no place to demand squat. It's not bad customer service because that implies at some point they promised you Australian based servers and they DIDN'T! Where's the Blue post on this? Where's Blizzard tripping up over themselves because they fear that a handful of self-righteous Aussies are going to cry and leave? They don't care. That's not a bad on their part. They have delivered and in many cases exceeded what is expected of gamers when they started this (remember, 2004). It's YOUR expectations that have changed. The disappointment is yours. Deal with it."

I dont think Australians asking for servers that are "Labeled" OCEANIC are childishly sulky or bad-tempered , in fact with the 150,000 accounts we have left we can all be fairly certain that a large amount of people have left due to latency problems , your right they did not promise us any Australian servers , but they did give us false hope saying that there will be Australian servers but just never made any , in other words they said they are working on it but never have gotten to it , which is similar to promising just not promising , which is in my opinion unequitiable and disgusting , our expectations have not changed , YOURS has , disappointment is not just mine but also yours that is if your residing and playing from Australia, and we should not just "deal with it"
It Would be nice for Blizzard to support its Australian and NZ fans by upgrading there play experience, I would be greatfull.
There would be no difference between putting servers in now and five years from now with titan.

If the NBN is built, we wont be getting or need local servers.

Just saying
I agree with you Aislinge.

Have always had a feeling setting up an Aussie server wouldn't be cost effective, particularly not with Telstra's over-the-top demands.

Ned Kelly ain't dead yet. He's alive and well and running Telstra.