Tirion Fordring needs to die.

Wyrmrest Accord
He's outlived his purpose as a plot device with the passing of WotLK. His entire drive was everything WotLK, and since then, we haven't heard anything from him. He drops off the face of the planet when his time is done, because frankly, he was never a character. He was a theme. An idea. A dependent symbol, if you will. He was, at the very base of his being, a plot device.

Well-written characters should be able to stand on their own, away from the environment they're placed in. Well-written characters react to environments, adapting to change as it comes and goes and building the audience's understanding of what makes them tick as time passes. After Arthas dies, his quest complete, Tirion simply goes away, his purpose fulfilled; right before Azeroth's greatest time of need, too.

In many ways, Tirion Fordring was a perfect plot device to take a stand in Cata. He was strong, idealistic, heroic, and above all, a uniting force in a world of chaos. But once Blizzard decided that they wanted conflict and angst and war - as Tirion is the exact counter measure to those ideas, and in many ways, would have settled silly disputes that came with Cata - he was shelved like a dusty old toy. This is, in part, Blizzard's fault for not incorporating him, but his ultimate failure for simply being a one-expansion plot device. But I digress.

Tirion Fordring is not a character. He doesn't stand on his own, outside of WotLK. He doesn't react to his changing environment. He just ceases to exist. He can only survive in WotLK, and any character that only functions in one environment is not a character. He is a plot device. Tirion Fordring is the epitome of a character gone wrong. A character gone plot device. Tirion was great, until it was revealed that he wasn't going to participate in Cata. At that point, one very sad, important fact came to light:

Tirion Fordring is not a character.

Looking back to WotLK, though, it actually becomes apparent that he was barely a character before Cata. He followed his own personal vendetta against Arthas through Northrend, picking up mid-level 70 adventurers in his almost fanatical obsession with murdering the Lich King. This made him an interesting character. The drive was weak, ("grr he hit my friends," anyone?) but! There was a drive. It wasn't a "FOR THE HORDE, GRRR IM AN ORC" drive, or a "FOR THE PLAGUE, I HATE THE LIVING" drive, or even a "WAHH I'M CONFLICTED ABOUT MY EMOTIONS SO I WON'T DO ANYTHING" drive. He had a reason for doing what he did besides his racial or gender identity. Until his drive became the only thing we heard about.

Eventually, Tirion morphed from a vindictive soldier, wronged by the world's baddest baddie into an obsessed, self-righteous wanna-be hero making speeches about how one day, he would kill Arthas. That is almost exclusively what I remember him /yelling at me about in my time in Northrend. And it got old. Fast.

Not to say that it was bad. Sure, he wasn't a character anymore, but that doesn't mean he stagnated the story. He pushed it along and reminded us (again and again and again and again) what we were fighting for. But he did it with such frequency and angst and mindless fury that it became his only defining feature. He was a plot device.

Tirion Fordring's fall was a mighty one. Blizzard lost sight of why characters are characters. If Tirion Fordring had maybe exposed himself as more of a human being and less of a heroic action figure, (10 feet tall by the time ICC rolled around. God I wish Blizzard would stop super sizing our leaders), if Tirion Fordring had maybe shown more compassion and less mindless fanaticism, ("ARTHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS"), if Tirion Fordring had maybe grounded himself in front of us, made himself seem more like a real person, then he might have been saved. He might have been viable in Cata.

But he didn't. He continued to serve Blizzard's archetype of "hero" in every sense of the word. He continued to monologue instead of mourn. He continued to rally instead of react. He never ceased his routine of "Move in, kill zombies, make speech, move out," until Arthas died and he was finally put to rest. He failed to impress as a character, and he predictably ended up many well-written character's nightmare - a plot device.

So I believe Tirion Fordring should be killed for ruining his image by becoming the hero Azeroth didn't deserve, instead of becoming the heroic human Azeroth really needed. Tell me why you agree or disagree, WrA.
This is an expansion late.

e: sorry. An expansion and a half.
Blizzard has poor writers. What else is new?
As long as he drops the Ashbringer when we kill him I'll be happy.
We've already blacklisted him for kill-stealing Arthas, I don't think we need to resort to murder.
He's an old man :/ leave him alone.
Fun game: Replace Tirion Fordring with Aerstole.
07/01/2012 11:14 PMPosted by Layam

Then I become immortalized as the hero of Azeroth, ruler of the Argent Crusade, and slayer of Arthas.

this is acceptable
07/01/2012 11:20 PMPosted by Gulnaw

Except, Aerstole never /yelled at me about how he was going to kill arthas.

In the article he wrote. The OP of this thread.
07/01/2012 11:14 PMPosted by Layam

/popcorn bow-

Wait. No.
07/01/2012 11:22 PMPosted by Schwert

/popcorn bow-

Wait. No.

I like your transmog, very nice sword.
Drinking game: every time you see, Plot device, or Not a Character (or some variation of that), take a drink.

on a more serious note, you do have a point Tirion could have been a better character, but alas fell prey to the same fate many characters of blizzard have befallen. Sub par writing.
i saw someone rping as velen's daughter

i died on the inside
i saw someone rping as velen's daughter

i died on the inside

omg are you serious i never see those i always just hear about them

eeee it's like finding a rare exotic bird in the wilderness
I agree with the paladin.
07/01/2012 11:44 PMPosted by Shaark
i died on the inside

/rez

Don't die on the inside, pretend it's a comic book. A comic book inside a pretend world. So it won't exist in a world that... doesn't exist.

07/02/2012 12:58 AMPosted by Fidez
I agree with the paladin.

Which one?
Many characters are like this, sadly. Like Aggra. She had so much potential to become an awesome character.

Instead, she became an annoying plot device whose sole purpose was to make Thrall babies.

It upset me greatly. I think Blizzard needs to hire some new writers.