Server merges

General Discussion
Post Limit:
I'm posting just to see what people think about WoW server merging. Maybe Blizz/blue could enlighten us as well as their thoughts on the matter.

I know the problems of my own server, I can only assume that other servers like ours are feeling the same hit in population issues. I know there will be some who just think its the lull in content that's doing it. However, on my server, most of the people who are no long playing, are playing just on a different server.

I think merging would be a huge stimulation to not only server community but a huge help to the raiding game and new players. If Bliz was able to cut down 50ish servers by merging, it would allow for new servers to pop up. This would allow for a lot of new players to the game to have a fresh place to go or even veterans just looking for some new fun. I always enjoyed the "new server" feel back in the day when they would release them, hell, my server was one of them.

I'm just wondering where everyone stands or if I'm the minority thinking that server merges would help out things with the 20k and under pop servers. Obviously, the higher pop servers wouldn't be touched, just talking low/med pop realms here. The illidan and sarg type realms don't really need any help from the best I can tell.
07/14/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Telepathy
Maybe Blizz/blue could enlighten us as well as their thoughts on the matter.
They have made their thoughts quite clear. They are implementing systems the future that should solve the problem for the rest of the life of the game and not be a band-aid like server mergers.
No. It will not happen.

Also Blizzard is planning cross server for MoP.
Hey look dead horse, anyone have any sticks so we can beat it?

Blizzard/someone should make a short video on how to use the forums search function, perhaps it would lesson the severity of the horse beatings. Then again it probably would do nothing.
Just because there are a lot of posts about it, doesn't mean it has actual discussion in it.
07/14/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Telepathy
Just because there are a lot of posts about it, doesn't mean it has actual discussion in it.

There is nothing to discuss here either, merging servers is not the answer and trying merge servers comes with its own costs. Most of which are not monetary, especially with what you proposed. 50 servers? Do you actually know what kind of stability issues would come up by trying to merge all those databases and servers?

No one actually knows what the population is of those servers, they may seem dead but it could just be that the players are taking a break. What do you do when all those players come back and the servers go back to having a 5 hr queue?
As Solaru said, they're implementing some features which should relieve some of the low pop realms in terms of zone population etc. Couple that with LFD, LFR, cross-realm BG/raiding and it should relieve a LOT of stress on the low pop realms.

That being said, Server mergers only send ONE signal to not only the playerbase, but to the industry as a whole and that, in Blizzard's case, is a HORRIBLY wrong signal. That signal is, "hey, we're failing." That is NOT the signal the industry giant wants to send out for a couple of reasons:

1) Blizzard ISN'T failing financially speaking nor is it failing in terms of subscriptions relative to other MMO's.

2) When the biggest fish in the pond sends out signals it's dying, it throws the entire pond into a frenzy which isn't good at ALL for anyone: players OR businesses.
07/14/2012 07:18 PMPosted by Hellasha

There is nothing to discuss here either, merging servers is not the answer and trying merge servers comes with its own costs. Most of which are not monetary, especially with what you proposed. 50 servers? Do you actually know what kind of stability issues would come up by trying to merge all those databases and servers?

No one actually knows what the population is of those servers, they may seem dead but it could just be that the players are taking a break. What do you do when all those players come back and the servers go back to having a 5 hr queue?

I'm not saying turn all servers in to Illidan or anything. That servers runs decently with 60k people on it, using WoWprogress populations. WoWprogress has a decent read on max population and not current. So at most there are the amount of people it says in WoWprogress. Making servers have 25-30k people would be no worse than higher end servers which normally don't have much problems.

Every single other MMO has done server merges and it didn't cause any huge issue or massive server problem. If low budget ones can do it, wow can do it easily. I covered the "may seem dead" thing, my horde side server IS dead. These people aren't temp gone, they are prema-gone. Their guilds have left thus they aren't going to reappear on our server at MoP. Sure, we'll get a few people back, but there is only 1 guild on horde side, mine.

I'd rather take a queue over what we have now too. If I had to get in queue Tuesday for a little bit of time, I wouldn't care if it meant a good solid server.

@ Solaru and Huggy - Those solutions are fine for helping zone pop, but they don't help server pop. Our AH will still be terrible, the ease of pugs will still be terrible, on-server recruiting still terrible, server community still terrible. Our realm forums(no the best choice I know but its all I have to example) gets about 1 new reply/post a day. One single post. How is that at all good for a server? Nothing is going on ever outside of normal raids. All the "oh hey look at all these people" fixes Bilz keeps adding don't actually fix the real problem which is the stuff I just named.

The only signal server merges indicate is that the game is less popular now than it was at the top of its game. It would say dying if it cut to like 10 servers, but have 150 servers as opposed to 240 servers isn't exactly dying.
07/15/2012 12:13 PMPosted by Telepathy
I'm not saying turn all servers in to Illidan or anything. That servers runs decently with 60k people on it, using WoWprogress populations. WoWprogress has a decent read on max population and not current. So at most there are the amount of people it says in WoWprogress. Making servers have 25-30k people would be no worse than higher end servers which normally don't have much problems

These sites that try to estimate population are horribly inaccurate. Only Blizzard has the real numbers, and until they actually disclose them, we will never truly know how the servers are doing.

That being said, again you nor these sites have any idea how many players are actually on the servers, and merging large databases that were never meant to communicate with one another isn't as easy or without risk as it sounds. As I said before server mergers have their own costs, one of which is server stability.
I think I am one of the last remaining players that believes WoW needs to merge servers to resolve a host of issues... after that Blizz can bring their solution into play.

Time will tell and it won't take long.
OH WOW ITS NOT LIKE THERE ARENT ANY OTHER THREADS ABOUT THIS TOPIC.
HEY LOOK IM OP AND I CANT USE THE SEARCHBAR!

If you make a new topic it's a repost.
If you post in the original thread its a necro.
Welcome to the forums OP and may god have mercy on your soul.
These sites that try to estimate population are horribly inaccurate. Only Blizzard has the real numbers, and until they actually disclose them, we will never truly know how the servers are doing.

That being said, again you nor these sites have any idea how many players are actually on the servers, and merging large databases that were never meant to communicate with one another isn't as easy or without risk as it sounds. As I said before server mergers have their own costs, one of which is server stability.

While they might be very inaccurate, their inaccuracy is probably the same for majority of realms. I know it says my realm has 14k people on it. I know on a given night, minus tuesday, there are less than 200 level 85s online at anytime. I've been randomly checking the past few weeks. Bliz does have the real numbers but I know that my server needs huge help, it doesn't take numbers to see that. All the numbers would show is the exact specifics of which aren't important. The difference between 200 and 500 people online is prime time is still very crappy for any server.

All I know about server merging is that all other MMO's have done it with a 1/4, at most, of the money Bliz has. All of those server merges went well from my experiences with them. Maybe I've been lucky with all the other MMO's I play, I don't know, but it's happened 6 times in my MMO playing lifetime and all went perfectly fine outside of the day of the merge.
OH WOW ITS NOT LIKE THERE ARENT ANY OTHER THREADS ABOUT THIS TOPIC.
HEY LOOK IM OP AND I CANT USE THE SEARCHBAR!

If you make a new topic it's a repost.
If you post in the original thread its a necro.
Welcome to the forums OP and may god have mercy on your soul.

Been posting for years and years. Nothing new and different, I just learn to ignore the posts and carry on with my topic of discussion.