feral cat gear help

Druid
Post Limit:
Hey guys,

So I have this wonderfully derp-tastic mind and i just can't wrap my head around what the best kind of gear for me is. I've bee told its strength and stamina or agility and stamina. But when reading other posts its seems like it's been agility. So barring jumping onto the AH and spending thousands of gold I dont own, is there anyway I could improve my gear or my overall char to be as pve and pvp efficent as possible? (I normally pve but occassionaly jump onto the battlegrounds)

(I also have no idea how to link stuff to the forum, so please let me know if I need to link my armory to y'all)
Never strength, always go agility. Agility gives you twice the attk power of strength, also gives you crit and dodge. As far as secondary stats, I personally would look for mastery until you are level capped. It just gives you a little more versatility. Eventually you'll want haste to boost your kitty DPS, but that's stuff to worry about when you are level capped. Take a look at the forum sticky about feral DPS. It should have all the info you need.

I would never recommend that anyone buy gear while leveling. Often times it needs to be replaced soon after you paid for it. If you have a LW friend that can make you new greens thats an option, but its not worth the price of the leather if you have to buy it for the same reason.

Battlegrounds are a quick way to get free PVP gear from honor points. If you don't care too much about PVPing, you can trade Conquest or Honor from those BGs for Valor and Justice. (The exchange rate isn't super for Justice, so you many want to try dungeons with a chance to get gear drops instead of trading honor.) Not having top notch gear isn't going to keep you from questing. Questing is the fastest way to level if you stay on yellow difficulty quests (also a guild exp bonus and heirlooms are key). And you'll likely pick up some upgrades from quest rewards along the way.

If I were you, I would do quests while I wait in queues for random dungeons or BGs, whichever you are in the mood for. Forget wasting all of your money in the AH unless you have high level alts with gold to burn.
That was insanely more helpful than I was expecting! Thank you for the simply understood words, I play as often as I should, but am not very social, so I dont usually have to create nicknames for things. But now I feel like I'm really going to start having fun until I level cap.

Where can I find mastery? would it be one of the +__mastery? or would it appear at the bottom like Effect: boosts your mastery by __?
Yeah, it'd be a green stat. But you don't get Mastery until level 80. So for low level ferals, I would try to get crit as the green stat.
07/24/2012 04:20 PMPosted by Zelice
Where can I find mastery? would it be one of the +__mastery? or would it appear at the bottom like Effect: boosts your mastery by __?

Oh crap, I forgot. Since mastery is a new thing with cata, I don't think you can even get it until you're into cata gear (level 80+). If you have a choice, haste for DPS, or crit for tanking. But as long as its agility gear, I don't think its a huge deal (you're leveling anyways).
07/25/2012 08:56 PMPosted by Shiftey
At level 60 you can buy a full set of purple gear and weapons, with honor points.

Though that gear is mostly outclassed by the first set of green gear you get in Outlands.
Haste makes your bleeds get an extra tick of damage.

Haste makes your energy regen more quickly.

Crit makes your attacks occasionally do double damage

Crits with combo point generating abilities will generate two combo points.

Mastery increases the damage of your bleeds.

Well, yes.

At 85 i stack crit and mastery and what that ends up with is bleeds that hit really hard and do critical hits almost every tick.

Even at my gear level crit generally doesn't beat haste save for very few specific encounters (heroic spine). If you're using the same reforge setup for bear and cat then yes, Mastery/crit works well.

My suggestion (at 85 or 90 after September 25th) is to get enough haste to get comfortable with energy regen (but definitely NOT so much that you ever actually have more energy than you can use before capping, you never want a full energy bar during combat) then start stacking mastery.
Strength used to provide 2 attack power per point in bear form (or cat form, can't remember), but now I believe it only provides 1 AP. So you always want to focus on agility about all else, with strength gear at your level worth roughly half a point of agility.
Go all out agil/stam. Crit and hit will be you main secondary stats until much highers lvls where haste will become more valuable. At lvl 85 there are 2 schools of thought depending on you play style.

1. Mastery->Haste+Crit->Hit+Expertise
2. Hit (capped 8%)->Expertise (soft cap 28)->Mastery->Haste->Crit

School 1 makes use of our 80% energy refund but also priorities on always having all possible bleeds up.

School 2 prioritises on keeping Savage Roar up and making best use of energy, combo points and omen procs.

Both are valid, personally I'm partial to school 2.
07/26/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Jozie
Strength used to provide 2 attack power per point in bear form (or cat form, can't remember), but now I believe it only provides 1 AP. So you always want to focus on agility about all else, with strength gear at your level worth roughly half a point of agility.

Even back then, while Str gave you 2AP, Agi gave you 2AP + crit + dodge (tanking).

07/26/2012 05:41 PMPosted by Trolley
Go all out agil/stam.

That said, don't gem / enchant for stam.... >.>
What you get on gear (assuming your EQUIPPED ilvl is enough to get into the dungeon) is generally sufficient to tank in, and useless for DPS.

(Unless you're going for progression raiding while undergeared.)
07/26/2012 08:34 PMPosted by Taswind

For lvling, chant/gem stam is fine, it can help survivablity while questing but yes it can lower your dps, but at your lvl no one cares about dps in dungeons.

For lvling, chant/gem stam is fine, it can help survivablity while questing but yes it can lower your dps, but at your lvl no one cares about dps in dungeons.

TBH, I don't ench / gem anything below ilvl 384 at this point. There's no reason to, unless you're lvling enchanting and making things that just don't sell for the skill ups.
Thanks guys! This was ridiculously helpful! I'm going to try to switch my gear around a bit and see how that works out! Y'all are awesome!