MoP: Monk RP

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
I am very curious to ask how will people, or how should people,RP the monk class and panderan race. Can anyone give some ideas, suggestions, for RP? Also, guides and such would be welcome! :D
07/26/2012 05:03 PMPosted by Cadros
This is one of those questions that everyone is asking, but noone can answer simply because we do not have enough information on either Monks or Pandaren as of yet. For the answer to this question, at least a real, full answer, you will have to wait until MoP drops.

Or have played the Beta.

First, Pandaren =\= monks. There are Pandaren philosophies, and then there is what Monks can do.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/28/the-basics-of-prepping-for-pandaren-roleplay/

That's a pretty good source for Pandaren RP. And, to Cadros' delight, it's all supported by the game.

Monks, however, are more in line with what your character can do. There is a philosophy, but it's not required. Monks are just martial artists. Melee fighters with their hands, feet/hooves/paws, and staves.
07/26/2012 06:29 PMPosted by Cadros
And, to Cadros' delight, it's all supported by the game.

Just clarifying something. I don't really care if something is supported by the game, just that it's supported by the lore. If the game is the source of lore that supports something, good to go. If it's supported somewhere else and not all that well in the game, good to go too. So long as the lore supports it, I'm good with it.

It was more a jab at that point of contention between us, being the RPG books.
07/26/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Dardarus
I am very curious to ask how will people, or how should people,RP the monk class and panderan race. Can anyone give some ideas, suggestions, for RP? Also, guides and such would be welcome! :D

It'll definitely vary, as most RPers tend to take some liberties with the presented lore and go down different paths. Even though you have to be Tushui to join the Alliance and Huojin to join the Horde, which is a basic game mechanic, that doesn't immediately mean you have to follow this route when you RP.

Before anyone gets their panties in a knot over that, I mean to say this: your humans all start in Elwynn Forest and near Stormwind, but that doesn't mean you have to RP a human that was born in Elwynn, or even in the south. You could be a refugee from Lordaeron, Arathi, Kul Tiras, Gilneas, etc.

Going back to the Pandaren part, you can be a Huojin Pandaren who decided that he would rather be on the Alliance or a Tushui Pandaren who looked to the Tauren and found kindred spirits among the Horde. Or you could have a Pandaren that follows a completely different set of philosophies from the aforementioned two: Tushui and Huojin are just primary philosophies on the Wandering Isle - but I doubt they're going to be the only two*.

When it comes to RPing a monk of a different race, they by no means need to embrace the philosophies of the Pandaren. Human, dwarf, gnome and Draenei monks are probably going to embrace the tenets and philosophies of the Light, Night Elf monks the tenets and philosophies of Elune. With the Horde monks, the majority I can't entirely say - they might not embrace any such philosophies or tenets, while Forsaken and Blood Elf monks will embrace the Shadow and (maybe) the Light respectively**.

If you want traditional monk RP as a Pandaren, I'd advise doing some research on various Chinese martial arts styles - watch videos, read up on them, look at traditional weaponry associated with the various styles, etc.

For my own monk I've already created a character that is married, I believe was agreed on, to my girlfriend's character. He's an ancient pandaren who is drunk most of the time, is fat, and is ascribed to the Hollywood version of Drunken Fist - basically that he can perform this intricate and difficult style while either drunk or sober. I'm even going further and combining it with other styles... but the character as a whole is supposed to be an old drunk spouting nonsensical sayings most of the time and either drinking from a gourd filled with wine/whisky/ale or from cups of steaming tea.

So, a panda version of Uncle Iroh... who's a drunk :P
07/27/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Cadros
I am quite curious to see just how many Iroh, Mr. Miaki, Zuko, and Korra ripoffs we get with Monks.

About as many Drizzt ripoffs for (Night) Elven rogues, best my guess. He's still a thing people do, right? :P

I'm probably not going to RP a Pandaren until I get a feel for their lore more; most of the types of characters I create don't really "mesh" with their philosophies as a race. Except the drinking...oh so much drinking. But that's an entirely unrelated matter.

Now Monks on the other hand...who ever said gnome monks would be weird? >_> <_<
07/27/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Cadros
So, a panda version of Uncle Iroh... who's a drunk :P

I am quite curious to see just how many Iroh, Mr. Miaki, Zuko, and Korra ripoffs we get with Monks.

Of course, I also fall under that as my Pandaren Monk is going to be and old, semi senile veteran Monk who is travelling the world in search of the perfect cup of tea.

Quite a few, I imagine. Though those who just draw a few lines between their character and the character they're basing it off of are probably going to be fewer than the ones who make carbon copies.
07/27/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Lowmaine

About as many Drizzt ripoffs for (Night) Elven rogues, best my guess. He's still a thing people do, right? :P

I'm probably not going to RP a Pandaren until I get a feel for their lore more; most of the types of characters I create don't really "mesh" with their philosophies as a race. Except the drinking...oh so much drinking. But that's an entirely unrelated matter.

Now Monks on the other hand...who ever said gnome monks would be weird? >_> <_<

I don't see many Drizzt's anymore. I think he's no longer a thing.

Oh, that's quite the relief then. There I go speaking out of turn again!
07/27/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Lowmaine

Oh, that's quite the relief then. There I go speaking out of turn again!

Though, now I'm trying to think of other characters I've seen.

I've seen a Kylar Stern before...

Amazingly enough, I haven't seen an Arya Stark, or a Jon Snow.
07/27/2012 09:24 AMPosted by Cadros
Amazingly enough, I haven't seen an Arya Stark, or a Jon Snow.

I have. Want to know the truly sad part? I see more Blood Elf copies of them than I do Humans.

That would probably be why.

The Kylar Stern was a Blood Elf.
I kinda get it now. It would all depend on the philosophy the monk and/or Panderan follows, or just have no philosophy and try to defeat opponents. Seems legit :D

You forgot the loveable kung fu panda, Po.
I suppose a great number of people will have the common Chinese names and derivatives for their Pandaren on RP servers. Medieval name for a Pandaren may not be that great when all the NPCs are named in another fashion.
The vast majority of Horde Monks will be Blood Elves pretending to be any of the full lineup of anime ninjas.

It will pretty much be this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLGXOASKufI&feature=related

I'll be avoiding Silvermoon for a while...
07/28/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Valynaraeve
I suppose a great number of people will have the common Chinese names and derivatives for their Pandaren on RP servers. Medieval name for a Pandaren may not be that great when all the NPCs are named in another fashion.

The... good thing, I guess, about Pandaren names is that only their first name has Chinese/Asian inspiration to it, while the surname is a title-name similar to the surnames used by some orcs, some trolls, tauren, etc.

The vast majority of Horde Monks will be Blood Elves pretending to be any of the full lineup of anime ninjas.

It will pretty much be this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLGXOASKufI&feature=related

I'll be avoiding Silvermoon for a while...

... and this makes me extra happy I'm no longer Horde on any toons.