DK Tanking Guide (5.1)

Death Knight
Prev 1 15 16 17 26 Next
I admit that I did not read through all the pages of responses here so I am not sure if this was mentioned.

Death Pact and Raise Dead can now be macro'd together providing a one button press heal. This avoids the need to set up healing with it the way you had to before.
I believe this alone makes it an even more valuable talent choice on that tier.

I realize there is no "Useful Macro's" section in the guide here but I am also not sure if a full section is needed. The only other really useful one that I am aware of for a blood DK is the Lichborne Death Coil macro.

Both of these as I use them are as follows:

#showtooltip Death Pact
/cast Raise Dead
/cast Death Pact

#showtooltip Lichborne
/cast Lichborne
/cast [target=player] Death Coil
I've been meaning to get a macro section going, and I'll definitely include those and a few more once I figure out where to put it.
I just go to town with roiling blood and
healers are mad at me for killing too many bloods.

:)

Yeah my problem (in 5.0.4, haven't tested it in 5.0.5) was ripping aggro off the blood tank (as in our Warrior tank who took the bloods, not our Blood DK tank. That's me) from all the Blood Boils going out. Not sure if it's still the same, but just unspeccing out of it for that fight is fine for me.

Death Pact and Raise Dead can now be macro'd together providing a one button press heal. This avoids the need to set up healing with it the way you had to before.
I believe this alone makes it an even more valuable talent choice on that tier.

True, but sometimes I like to summon the ghoul first before I need the heal so I can get just a little more DPS out for free before I have to sac him.
I have found it easy to get aggro off of other tanks as Blood. In particular if I have a lot of Vengeance. I've also not truly seen issues with aggro on a pull like some other tank classes. Like I've been about threat capped against a comparable geared pally tank and so on as a dw frost. I even tried to mess around with 2handed Frost with Gurth thinking it may have less snap aggro as dps. Even when pets were supposedly having tanking stances on they didn't seem to be out threating me as a tank single target but they were getting aggro off pally tank and as soon as I hit a single blood boil they all would turn on me and away from pets. It just seems pets with a stance on could out threat DnD on it's own.

I have had to be more careful on taunt swaps but that can be true for any tank that has the higher vengeance. What I haven't confirmed is if a warrior/paladin tank can do the same higher dps on a fight like Ultraxion while being the MT? Our actual dps while tanking could be the larger problem.

As for getting aggro off the bloods tank? You should probably be using Blood Boil more sparingly on that fight anyway. In particular if you have roiling blood in your spec as an Amalg tank. So it could be argued more your fault and not the warrior.

As for getting aggro off the bloods tank? You should probably be using Blood Boil more sparingly on that fight anyway. In particular if you have roiling blood in your spec as an Amalg tank. So it could be argued more your fault and not the warrior.

Yeah I more or less semi-intentionally screwed us up. I didn't know my Blood Boils were going to pull that much aggro, especially with the Vengeance chances. It was a whoops for sure.

That being said, the Vengeance changes makes tankswapping on Madness a whole lot harder than it probably should be.
Yeah I more or less semi-intentionally screwed us up. I didn't know my Blood Boils were going to pull that much aggro, especially with the Vengeance chances. It was a whoops for sure.

That being said, the Vengeance changes makes tankswapping on Madness a whole lot harder than it probably should be.

Even with old vengeance it was both tanks responsibility to keep track of their threat on each other. The blood tanks on spine are more or less kiting during the last half (depending on how they do it) and they aren't going to have much threat going out, so in this case it was probably the fault of a certain trigger happy amalg tank going nuts with blood boil. :)
It sounds like you didn't wipe, so probably not a huge deal. Just avoid doing a lot of aoe whenever another tank is trying to kite near you in the future.

As far as madness goes, you should actually be trying to push it down in one impale. Simple having the tank that takes the first impale go nuts on damage (using DRW and the like) should make this pretty easy. You can certainly do it as normal, with swapping tanks immediately after the impale, but you are losing a lot of raid damage by not utilizing the impaled tanks 200k+ vengeance.

edit: hmm are quotes broken?
The quotes don't seem to be attributing to the poster's name much if that is what you're asking.
Can someone tell me why use heart strike ever? Blood boil does way more damage
09/15/2012 06:57 AMPosted by Oknaar
Can someone tell me why use heart strike ever? Blood boil does way more damage

Not to nit pick but Heart Strike is stronger than bloodboil until your AP hits a higher value. But for example early in a fight when you have low or no vengeance then you're doing less dps to Blood Boil instead of Heart Strike. Now if you're looking at theoretical points when vengeance is highest then yes Blood boil would out perform. But for example if you were soloing old content and using Blood Boil instead of Heart Strike it's most likely it's a dps loss to blood boil compared to heart strike.
It also depends on the number of targets. It would take 2 million attack power for blood boil to do more damage than heart strike on 3 targets with a 496 ilvl weapon. 2 million isn't exactly achievable. for when to use BB or HS for a given amount of targets/ilvls, check out the link in the guide under the "Blood Boil vs Heart Strike" section. Ill put it here as well: tinyurl.com/bbvshs
I haz 2 million AP always plz
Is that a perk from the blizzard mentoring service? :)
09/15/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Reniat
Is that a perk from the blizzard mentoring service? :)

Sadly, I feel shorted in the perks department. No bucket, no vacation trips to GM Island. Just a bunch of people wanting to raid stuff. So looking forward to new players asking to be power leveled. Will be so exciting I can barely contain my Outbreak.
how long is the mentoring period? and how 5 mans do you run on a daily basis now? ;)
09/15/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Reniat
how long is the mentoring period? and how 5 mans do you run on a daily basis now? ;)

I believe the first test at the very least goes for about 4 months. In regards to 5 mans? I've only ran ones I was doing solo for either rep or transmog reasons. Like I farmed Underbog & Slave Pens a bit to get the Bogslayer set done. I should be grinding Consortium and Aldor rep just to knock them out. But I have so many greens to sell it's not funny.

I tend to just turn down people who seem to ask every night "What are we raiding?" and so on. Many are returning or new players who haven't seen a bit of the content so of course they're asking to see about every raid that exists in the game. Even though you can practically be saved to everything in a single night. If I ran every 5 man and raid people wanted then I'd end up no longer playing for myself and probably burn out.

For the most part though I like the idea of the mentoring thing just it's sad that so many seem more interested in what the guild can do for them. When really they should be happy they have someone to talk to. While there can be people interested in PvP and so on. I find many players want things now. Player logs in saying "What dungeon are we running?" But if players are busy, afk or not interested in doing a dungeon that minute? Of course said player is now upset but they were not instantly gratified.

Long rant really but it could also be that most guilds are defined at what they do. The mentoring thing should really be just about having people to socialize with. It could really just be that the Officers are not making ground rules early on things like Raids. If you told them early what the situation was on things like Raids and PvP then it wouldn't be a problem. It could just be that our officers don't.

I'll just get to mentor DK's and probably be blamed if they're completely horrible or cause problems. If you can't tell I'm SO excited about the whole thing lol.

p.s.

I look forward to helping people that need it. Just don't necessarily look forward to some of the people that come along with that. Especially if I don't have the power to kick them if they're selfish/pricks.
Yeah i can see how that would be obnoxious. I was assuming most of your mentorees were people who hadn't played the game before, and were leveling and just looking for "what is this?" style of basic questions. I didn't know it would include people just looking to get caught up with content. Did blizzard point characters in your direction? Or do you just get people looking for invites due to your new name?
Not truly sure what is in the pipe line for it all. I know there is a private forum where the MvP - Guild Mentor people post and chat with the GM's about things pertaining to it. Like one of the features I know they were asking for is being able to invite people to a guild while they're "Offline" due to how the Requests thing works. How players are pointed towards the guilds I'm not sure. I know on the Realm Forums there is a thread made pointing out which guilds were picked. The Players who are the Guild leaders and the players selected to be their "recruiters" all had to sign some contract and became MvP's so also when they make threads and post they will stand out from that stand point.

That is all forums though. In the end not everyone reads the forums in the first place. So what exactly would direct new players to things like that? Not sure. It's really on the Guild Leader and their Recruiters though. I'm just there to answer questions. Maybe I come across with some authority it seems though since newer people who join the guild tend to think I'm an officer. I'm just there to field questions and wait to see how this all turns out. In particular if it has consequences in regards to stable raids in MoP if they cater to the new and inexperienced players. Even running old raids now could just be a giant tease if they don't continue to do it in MoP.

Guilds really shouldn't change what they do. They should just socialize and mentor new people. Just not cater to their every whim. It's not what the system is about in my opinion.
How thorough and informative, this should be stickied... *cough*
Added a cooldown section in the "advanced playstyle" part. I've gotta say that page is probably my favorite. the progression tanking is the fun tanking ;)
Thanks. I am happy to see this guide is still getting added too.

Now where is that sticky?