Dwarf RP inquiry.

Wyrmrest Accord
Oh no, another one of these.

Anything down below is simply my understanding of what I've read. I'm posting this to get some insight and feedback, as well as personal experiences. I'd preferably like to hear it from dwarf RPers, but anyone versed in the lore and such are obviously more than welcome!

So, I have always been a fan of dwarves (combat animations, game models, what little lore I knew) and I finally decided enough is enough! My main come MoP for both RP and anything else is this little gal right here. I've been reading up, so this thread isn't about having unfortunate souls walk a lazy RPer through dwarfdom.

I have her age pegged around 90 (It's to my understanding that 125 is middle-aged for dwarves, but I know age concerns is usually a hot topic in the RP community) so that she's an adult and has seen her share of battle and all that good stuff. At the very least, I know she could have served in the Third War (and I do plan to have that as her RP), but I'm just not sure as to where she would have been at the time.
I also have her set as a former knight of the Silver Hand before it was disbanded, at which point she would have joined the Argent Dawn, and now presently she is a member of the Argent Crusade.

As much as I've read, I am a little iffy on time frames of some events and their relation to other happenings. So down below are a couple of direct questions:

• What is the time different between the Second War and the War of the Three Hammers? ( I do know that the Second War was after WotTH, just not how long after.)
  • Following that, the time between the War of the Three Hammers and the Third War?

And I'm sure the collective groan begins here:
I plan on having Farona half Dark Iron and half Ironforge. It's not necessarily because I think it's 'controversial' for dwarves. The reason is actually fairly vain. I like this skin color, which is lighter than the Dark Iron Dwarves, anyway. My explanation is that it's because she is only half. Her RP is nowhere based around the fact, though. I'm not really a "Woe is me and my family lineage" type, myself.

So there it is. I'm pretty sure that's all I have for now, but I'll likely have more questions or retorts in the future if this gets any responses. Thanks for reading if you did, and I hope to hear from some folk soon!
08/04/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Farona
What is the time different between the Second War and the War of the Three Hammers? ( I do know that the Second War was after WotTH, just not how long after.)

It was far back enough that two gigantic underground cities were able to be built (Shadowforge and Grim Batol). Other than that, the details are vague. It is likely a few hundred years in the past, at least. Long enough that three distinct cultures were able to evolve out of it.

My main piece of advice when it comes to roleplaying a dwarf is this: don't let your clan define your character, and don't let those stupid stereotypes drive your RP.
The War of the Three Hammers took place at -230 (230 years before the First War)

So it took place 236 years before the second war and 250 years before the third war.
What is the time different between the Second War and the War of the Three Hammers? ( I do know that the Second War was after WotTH, just not how long after.)

It was far back enough that two gigantic underground cities were able to be built (Shadowforge and Grim Batol). Other than that, the details are vague. It is likely a few hundred years in the past, at least. Long enough that three distinct cultures were able to evolve out of it.

My main piece of advice when it comes to roleplaying a dwarf is this: don't let your clan define your character, and don't let those stupid stereotypes drive your RP.

Thanks! That's what I needed to know. If it was a few hundred years, that's definitely before Farona's time. I definitely don't plan on having her clan or any such 'define' her, either! FARONA DEFINES FARONA. <3

Edit:
The War of the Three Hammers took place at -230 (230 years before the First War)

So it took place 236 years before the second war and 250 years before the third war.

Credit is where credit's due and such.
Thanks!
Also, I was linked this for anyone else who may be curious about time lines and happenings.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Timeline_(from_official_site,_2010)
/highfive to mah fellow dwarven lass
08/04/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Muiriah
/highfive to mah fellow dwarven lass

Oh haaaay gurl. /highfive

Excellent advice.
I've seen quite a few half-and-half dwarves. If she's half-Dark Iron, it seems most likely the Dark Iron parent would have been Thorium Brotherhood.
08/05/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Brigeda
I've seen quite a few half-and-half dwarves. If she's half-Dark Iron, it seems most likely the Dark Iron parent would have been Thorium Brotherhood.

Bronzebeardian dwarves were also taken in as slaves by the Dark Irons. You could RP it out as her being the daughter of a female slave and some unscrupulous Dark Iron father. Keep in mind that half-breeds sometimes face discrimination from both races.

(Dark Iron RPer myself)
I don't really plan on having her heritage a focus of her RP is all. It really was just an excuse to pick this color because I like it, haha. So far she hasn't gotten any stink-eye ICly, though! I understand what ya'll are saying about it, though.

I don't put half/half in my MRP anywhere, either. She's just slightly darker than your average IF dwarf.
Thanks! That's what I needed to know. If it was a few hundred years, that's definitely before Farona's time. I definitely don't plan on having her clan or any such 'define' her, either! FARONA DEFINES FARONA. <3

Yeah thats the official line. So you might have had a grandfather perhaps who fought in it. Or you might have heard tales about it at family gatherings and such.

Sadly there is virtually zero Gnome lore prior to High TInker Mekkatorque. Blizzard's too lazy to write any.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"

Yeah thats the official line. So you might have had a grandfather perhaps who fought in it. Or you might have heard tales about it at family gatherings and such.

Sadly there is virtually zero Gnome lore prior to High TInker Mekkatorque. Blizzard's too lazy to write any.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"

WTB more dwarf and gnome lore, especially for the gnomes. I used to think they were a joke race until I came to this server and saw people actually RPing them well.

Forbs brought up a good point. Since the three clans all lived in/around Ironforge before the War of the Three Hammers, maybe Farona isn't an exact half-and-half? Did you plan on having her raised as a Bronzebeard? She could be 1/4 or 1/8 Dark Iron if the inter-clan union happened before/during the war.
08/06/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Brigeda
Forbs brought up a good point. Since the three clans all lived in/around Ironforge before the War of the Three Hammers, maybe Farona isn't an exact half-and-half? Did you plan on having her raised as a Bronzebeard? She could be 1/4 or 1/8 Dark Iron if the inter-clan union happened before/during the war.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking for a "crossbreed who doesn't focus on it" sort of concept. It's a lot easier to say, "Eh, Gran and Gramps were an unlikely pair" than to say, "Eh, my parents were star-crossed at best or not-entirely-consensual at worst."

Exactly how far back you want to go generation-wise is up to you. Bronzebeards come fair enough, and the Dark Iron complexion is distinctive enough, that having as little as 1/8th seems plausible to me.
If they're a proud Dwarf's Dwarf, family is important. The following quest text gives a little insight into things. It can't exactly be used as dogma, but it's an interesting little tidbit of what family unions are like. It sort of implies that Marriages really do join families, and not just couples. In fact, there's a long quest chain in Twilight Highlands that has to do with just that ; uniting two Wildhammer Clans with a Marriage.

"Can you do me a huge favor, <name>? My sister-in-law's uncle is in the Earthen Ring, and he's here in the Barrens studying the impact of the Cataclysm, down at Firestone Point. He says their camp is surrounded by quilboar and I worry that they might get overrun.

Can you check in on Dorn Redearth for me? I'd hate for anything to happen to him, what with the close family bond and all."

Food for thought. It jumped out at me when I did the quest.
Firestone Point amuses me because of the giant pipe the Earthen Ring members are smoking. Dorn Redearth is probably feeling quite well.
I think it being in her heritage somewhere would be best, then. I just list her as 'Dwarf' on race. Nothing overly specific. Both parents would be Ironforge dwarves, then. Cool, thanks.
Actually, Magni never exiled or disowned Moira. It's specifically discussed in the Shattering novel. He always hoped she'd come back, but she chose to stay in Shadowforge until Magni turned to diamond.