Mac OS X 10.5 Not Supported for Mists of Pandaria

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
It was a surprise to many of us though. We just play for the fun of it. We don't hit the forums much. You can rationalize it as much as you want but many of us just got blindsided.

What would happen if in the NEXT expansions all Windows XP users got told a week or two before that they were not going to be able to play anymore? There's be one hell of a stink.

Blizz just needs to be more proactive in the future. The damage is done.
People still use Windows XP?

My gosh man. The viruses and security holes... Do you care nothing about your security?
08/21/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Tragica
I know the 'few' overall Mac 10.5 users who will quit over this is just a drop in the bucket and Blizz seems to care little about them, but poorly played overall.

The people running 10.4 before Cata was released stated the same thing. Overall, it did not have much impact the population of WoW. The reason why Win XP is still being supported is the fact that M$ has chosen to extend support for it until April 2014, as stated before numerous times. It is hard for a software company to support a certain OS version if the company itself abandons support for it in 2 years.

We all realize that people are not made of money, but software companies like Blizzard have to move with the times in order to improve their software. Sticking to old code that made the game run on older OS versions would only hinder the progress in making it better for everyone. I use XP myself, but if Blizz stopped supporting it one day, I would switch to Win 7 in a heartbeat. Sure, I would be losing some support for older programs, but I would be able to continue to play WoW. I can also modify my computer to be able to boot into Win XP or 7. In other words, as many have quoted: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
WOW is not my profession or obsession, it's an escape.
I play when I have time and if I have time to play, I play - I don't read the forums instead.

I came to the forums to find out what was going on when I saw the splash screen on the launcher state that I would be locked out of the game sometime in the near future.

Every time I launch WOW, there are links and blurbs about all kinds of things, some interesting, many not. Most of the time those don't change for a while, I see the some ones over and over.

It would not have been difficult to put this little tidbit up there, once it was official, for everyone to see each time they launch the game. THEN everyone would have had decent notice.

Sure, it doesn't surprise me that MOP does not support my old OS, but I wasn't planning to buy MOP right away, I was going to wait until some future time when I got a new computer.
I am a casual player and haven't even gotten through the old content yet.

However, I DID expect to still be able to play the software that I already BOUGHT, without needing a new computer/OS.
The fact that I wouldn't even be able to launch the game and play old content was the surprise.

If you are going to spring this on people, and they did, then they should stop charging people for software that essentially has an expiration date.

If you are not going to give the software away for free, which you should since we all need a subscription to play anyway, then people should be able to continue playing content that they PAID for.

Although, if I really had been given fair warning then I would have had time to adjust.
Unfortunately, I can't just drop everything right now to deal with a game issue.
This happens to be a very busy and stressful time for me and I'm angry that one of my stress relievers is causing me stress.
4-5 months of no new content, and a week before prepatch i find out i can't use my mac 10.5 anymore to play, and have to buy etc etc. fail service on blizzards end, they should have let us know this MONTHS AGO
Guys, seriously. At MOST, you're paying $50. It's not anywhere near /ragequit territory. If you can't afford the $50, you probably shouldn't be paying a monthly sub for WoW in the first place.

I agree with you that Apple should've been more aggressive with it's 3D game performance in OS X. But now they're FINALLY catching up and dropping the old crappy implementation so WoW and other games will run better, and you're complaining?

This is just how the tech industry works. Don't like it, don't buy a computer. Because computers have to be updated.
08/24/2012 05:45 AMPosted by Mèdíc
4-5 months of no new content, and a week before prepatch i find out i can't use my mac 10.5 anymore to play, and have to buy etc etc. fail service on blizzards end, they should have let us know this MONTHS AGO

I too have a older software sensitive set up.

This late notice pisses me off greatly.

I want a refund of the time I won't be able to play, that I would not have purchased

had i known i might have to disturb my machines OS....

Truly pathetic notice.
I want a refund of the time I won't be able to play, that I would not have purchased.

Not going to happen since this announcement is not the fault of Blizzard due to the fact that Apple doe not maintain its OS software.
08/24/2012 09:35 PMPosted by Ragorith
I want a refund of the time I won't be able to play, that I would not have purchased.

Not going to happen since this announcement is not the fault of Blizzard due to the fact that Apple doe not maintain its OS software.

That's fine, this will probably be the straw...
08/24/2012 09:39 PMPosted by Devalkyrie

That is your decision as a customer.
08/24/2012 09:39 PMPosted by Devalkyrie

Or ... what? You'll make up a story about how Blizzard hates you?

We get it, you like WoW. You're upset that --without change-- you won't be able to play WoW anymore. You're so passionate about the game that you want to say or do something to show them how upset about this you are. You want to make them feel as bad as you do about being separated from it.

It's wonderful that you have had such a connection to the game.

Unfortunately, sometimes times things come to an end. Or sometimes you have to change to keep up with a relationship, whether it's real or virtual.

Whether you want to believe it or not. Blizzard doesn't like loosing you either.
08/24/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Stormtides
Guys, seriously. At MOST, you're paying $50. It's not anywhere near /ragequit territory. If you can't afford the $50, you probably shouldn't be paying a monthly sub for WoW in the first place.

wrong. My computer is an iMac from early 2006. it CAN'T be upgraded to 10.7 at all. If I want to keep playing, I have to get an entirely new system. I'll keep playing as long as 10.6.8 is supported, but it's hard to justify dropping at least $600 on a new computer when everything but this game works fine on this old one.
Greetings, Mac community. Long story short, I found myself with smoke coming from my ears this morning when, for the first time since this 'announcement', my launcher alerted me that "Hey, your old-as-heck OS ain't gonna be supported no more!" I thought it was a joke. I really, really, really thought it was a joke.

It wasn't a joke.

And I sure as heck ain't laughin'.

Anyway. I won't go into shallow threats about how I'm gonna quit the game, etc. I'm a nerd. A nerd who loves Warcraft and has been playing it for longer than I can remember - without pause in my subscription, mind you. Payments on time. All of that loyalty crap (which I know has nothing to do with this subject, but still). It's quite obvious by the character that I am posting on that I have seen a lot, done a lot, and achieved a lot (wheee, nerd points). I plan on going nowhere.

Now in my own circumstances, I've been in dire need of a new computer for a while now. So instead of just waiting on Ole Bessie to die on me, I'll go ahead and put her down and replace her with a new model that can support Pandaland. Am I amused by this? No. Do I understand that nothing lasts forever? Yes. Personally, I have the need in other departments of my life for a new system (and a line of credit to place it on, hurrrrr expensive Macs...).

I don't follow beta forums. In fact, I've not started reading about -anything- regarding Pandaland until two days ago. That's just how I roll. I don't keep up with the Mac Forums; the only reason I ever have to visit here is when something is wrong.

So while it's done, it's too late, and there is nothing we (the Mac public) can do about it, I'll at least quote a simple meme and say: I am disappoint.

An email would've been nice. Something on the front page. Something... somewhere? I dunno where. It's my understanding that this information has been in two places: 1) stickied here a mere few weeks ago (again, I don't check these forums; I have also been out of town on business for a few weeks so I wouldn't have seen it anyway), and 2) talked about on the beta forums (yep, I don't go there).

So now that my ears are no longer steaming and I've cooled off a bit, I'll finalize this and say that:

Change is inevitable. Yes, it sucks. No, there's nothing we can do about it. But this is one loyal customer asking Blizzard to do one thing: do better by your folks and consider alternative means of informing them of the changes. Obviously, many of us missed the memo and are now up a proverbial creek. That's all this is really about.
Alright so let's start with the basics... MoP Pre-patch (5.something) is coming out tomorrow. Unfortunately, due to some weird circumstance, I saw this warning right before I logged in TODAY (mind you not, I'm a nerd and play countless hours a day, yes, even when there's nothing else to do but sit around in Stormwind getting stared at by others).
I've been running WoW on my Mac OS 10.5 for YEARS. With all the graphic changes from BC > LK and LK > Cata, there was no need to get a new laptop to run WoW on.
I thought to myself, "Hey, they probably sell this Snow Lep. crap at the Apple Store"... nope, you have to call Apple. I ordered it yes, but 2 weeks of delivery? 30$? For what, a pre-patch where they're ONLY changing class preferences and talent trees? What, are the talent trees going to be picture perfect and realistic that we need new software to be able to see them? A majority, if not, ALL Macs support 10.5. Why let full-time WoW players waste more money? And seeing that it MAY require yet ANOTHER upgrade to 10.7 or eve 10.8? Mind you not, Macbooks cannot use 10.8 (mountain lion).
Sure, change is good, but co'mon. I've waited months and months while slowing dragging my !@# farming up Dragon Soul just to wait another 2 weeks while my guild (except me, of course) gets to enjoy raiding in their new specs? Please, humor me... Why is 10.6 needed for a pre-patch? It's not like we're able to go into the new raids or zones yet.

Blizzard, for the greater good, and for us WoW players who support using Macs, let us play on 10.5 until Panda is officially released on Sept. 25th. Giving a nice little message on the log-in screen would be helpful for those whom either don't read forums, or not able to see the warning once they open up WoW. Delivery for some countries (in Canada, like myself) won't be able to receive the software through the mail in weeks, and like all of us, we want to enjoy the game to further on our playing methods into MoP. This will give players a chance to see what MoP will be like (for those who have not played on the beta) and determine if they are willing to spend another 30-50$ for new computer software to be able to run the actual expansion.

I speak for all whom is concerned, and wishes to play tomorrow, because I know I am one of those individuals. We shouldn't have to be charged to NOT PLAY WOW. Thanks for the notice Blizzard, but please, for the greater good, let us play for 4 more weeks so we, the Mac public, have time upgrade our systems if we choose.
I really wish I would've known this before I paid $15 for a month of WoW instead of getting 7 days. All I do is twink pvp after work. I haven't bought Cata and my 10.6.8 Macbook Mid-2007, 1GB RAM runs just fine. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if I can get my money's worth from the month I paid. I work from 9-7 so... I'm not going to buy a whole new computer just to play one game for an hour a night at most. Unfortunate that this happened, I understand computers get old and you have to upgrade, but more fore-warning would have been golden.
08/27/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Lutheria
I really wish I would've known this before I paid $15 for a month of WoW instead of getting 7 days. All I do is twink pvp after work. I haven't bought Cata and my 10.6.8 Macbook Mid-2007, 1GB RAM runs just fine. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if I can get my money's worth from the month I paid. I work from 9-7 so... I'm not going to buy a whole new computer just to play one game for an hour a night at most. Unfortunate that this happened, I understand computers get old and you have to upgrade, but more fore-warning would have been golden.

This notice has been done for some time since the beta. It is the reason why beta testers who have 10.5 cannot play that particular client of WoW. While I do realize that not everyone does not pay attention to a public forum, not utilizing all informational resources that are official and unofficial is not an excuse to claim that you were "not informed enough" about this issue.
I'm not extremely tech savvy and I currently run on 10.5.8, but if I'm understanding this correctly, I'll have to first buy the upgrade for 10.6. Then I have to buy another upgrade for 10.7. Will that be the minimum requirement or will I be forced to buy ram and other things???
Well, even though it was posted on the forums earlier, I never really paid much attention.

Why? Because I update all of my software the moment it is available. As a computer user aren't you interested in keeping current? It is kinda like keeping the frost build-up out of your freezer, that frost degrades the performance, the software updates enhance your computer's performance. For Mac users there is no earthly reason why you should not upgrade, it is to your (our) advantage to keep up to date.

For God's sake, Apple's software upgrades are as easy as pouring a cup of tea, and even a blind person puts their thumb over the lip of the cup to feel when the water is near the top. if you can't afford to upgrade your software every couple years at crazy low prices, how can you afford to play WOW?
Lotta folks being quick to pass judgement. Whatever. What's your deal, not mine. And clearly not everyone else's. It needs to be kept in mind that not everybody's circumstances are the same. And who are you (I mean you as in, in general) to determine what people are spending their money on and how? Why am I being judged because I have an older computer that can run no higher than 10.6? It's not my fault that my computer has been well-maintained and still serves the purposes that I need it to serve. Why would I purchase a new one when I don't -need- a new one?

@ Fraucha-
I update my Mac as soon as it tells me to. But how, dear neighbor, am I supposed to update my old iMac to better than 10.6 when it can't support or host better than 10.6? Maybe now you'll see the problem that some people are having? And your passing judgement on how I choose to spend my money is a little pretentious. I -can- afford to play Warcraft, thank you very much, just as I can afford all of the other things in my life that I pay for. But just because I am playing on an older system does not mean that I am neglecting to keep my stuff up to date. If you wanna buy a new system every two years, and the newest OS every year, then go for it. That's -your- business, just as my business is my own.

Now - back on track.

08/28/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Jswan
I'm not extremely tech savvy and I currently run on 10.5.8, but if I'm understanding this correctly, I'll have to first buy the upgrade for 10.6. Then I have to buy another upgrade for 10.7. Will that be the minimum requirement or will I be forced to buy ram and other things???

I, too, run on 10.5.8, and it is my understanding that we/you will need to buy the 10.6 DVD from Apple (which can only be mailed; there is no legitimate digital download available) and go from there. From what I've read, Blizzard will continue to support 10.6 for as long as they can. But just as how it happened with 10.4 and 10.5, eventually support will no longer be there (especially once newer OS's are available). So yes, you will most likely have to -eventually- upgrade to 10.7. You could go ahead and purchase both, I suppose, but for now I'd worry just about getting off of 10.5.-whatever and getting on to 10.6.-whatever, as we know for certain that 10.5 is no longer operational.

Any I'm just gonna throw this out there because I'm feeling snippy right now. But for any of you snot-brains who point fingers at the fact that some of us do not keep up with the beta crap, then seriously... seriously... seriously, just go away. I play $15/mo to play, not to follow beta testing and read the forums that pertain to them.
I think many of the non Mac 10.5 and 10.6 posters on here are missing the point. Tell us if your new patch or expansion requires a newer OS (and in some cases new hardware) more than A FEW WEEKS in advance.

That's OK. When i get home to my OS 10.5 machine tonight I won't be able to play. Thankfully I have a really old Win XP box that still runs it just fine.

So please, let the Mac users have their say. Don't come here and berate us for not knowing months or years in advance as some of you have or not having expendable cash to instantly upgrade hardware and/or software.

In the future, Blizz, give some freaking notice.