Help Me Out People

General Discussion
Ok - I come back about a month ago. Been gone since Wrath of the Lich King came out.

I start out all new. I rolled a worgen hunter, and this priest I am almost leveled up with.

Been doing dailies and such to get my hunter at least decent gear to start heroics. Mainly want the practice. I know all current gear is getting canned soon due to Mists of Pandaria. Running five man instances has always been my favorite part of World of Warcraft. I had full tier 0.5 Magisters set for my mage, and have been hooked on dungeons ever since. Was thrilled to learn about heroics. Only ran a couple Burning Crusade heroics before I quit. Anyhow...

I nervously get in the Looking for Dungeon tool making sure I had my tabard on for rep. After 20min I finally got into heroic Black Rock Caverns. I was on my hunter don't feel like retyping this just to post on him. I made sure growl was off, etc etc.

There was no kind of talk whatsoever - immediately the plowing of the mobs began. Non-stop we plowed with no trouble up to the second boss... then for the first time someone spoke...

"hunter, you take middle" we all ready?

I asked what he meant hoping to hear some kind of strategy. I understand from my previous experience that noobs are really a drag in a group, but they are a fact of life you just have to deal with.

Loading screen. You have been removed from the group.

Sitting in Stormwind.

Say what? Is this what dungeons have turned into? Is this the normal, or did I commit some kind of ultimate sin by asking a question? I really really really hope this isn't typical in dungeons. I don't have time to keep any kind of relationships in game enough to get this guild bond thing going to where I don't have to run pugs. Is this really what I can expect, or did I just get stuck with some dirtbags or what?
That's what some of LFD has devolved in to. I'd say most of the time people are forgiving especially if people mention they're new to the instance or what have you.

But I've seen people gripe at DPS classes for not pulling enough DPS...when the DPS wasn't level capped being as how we were in a normal instance. I've seen heirloomed players kick or threaten to kick players that weren't in heirlooms in low level dungeons for not being able to keep up. The extra anonymity over and above what we already had with cross server dungeons brought out the worst in a lot of players.
You're DPS. You don't have a job other than do damage.

You're kinda expected to know how fights work. And you're so easy to replace that there's no reason to sit there and explain it to you.
Do yourself a favor and read the Journal thingy and figure out how the Heroic fights work before you go into em. Most are simple. Corla, the one you mentioned, just requires the ranged DPS/healer to stand in the way of the beams until you hit about 80 stacks of Ascended, then you get out and let the Debuff fall off, and then you get do it again.
You just had bad luck with an impatient group.
Generally if I've taken a WoW hiatus and I need to get back into the swing of things I make a simple macro to press when entering a dungeon. I did this for Hour of Twilight Heroics and all went very well and I received many helpful hints. It went something like this:

/P Hi everyone, I have not done these dungeons yet because I have been off WoW for a while. If there's anything I should know about a certain boss, just give me a quick heads up before we start the fight. Thanks for all your help! :)

And generally I'm a healer or a tank as I dislike the DPS queues, people receive something like this very well and most of the Warcraft community is welcoming to people who voice their inexperience.
Have a great time and welcome back!
Do yourself a favor and read the Journal thingy and figure out how the Heroic fights work before you go into em. Most are simple. Corla, the one you mentioned, just requires the ranged DPS/healer to stand in the way of the beams until you hit about 80 stacks of Ascended, then you get out and let the Debuff fall off, and then you get do it again.

Why go read? If anyone in the group would have said what you just said in 2 lines I would have been fine.
08/06/2012 05:55 AMPosted by Carvy

Why go read? If anyone in the group would have said what you just said in 2 lines I would have been fine.

Um.
Yeah.
With that mentality, you deserved to be kicked.

Um.
Yeah.

The dungeon journal isn't all that helpful. "Boss X will cast Spell Y doing a bazillion damage to the entire group. Damage is lessened if Random Mob Z is standing in the Fire of Killzall. Also, random Mob Z may or may not be random." For me, if I haven't experienced the fight, the dungeon journal is basically worthless.

OP, let groups know you haven't done the content when you start the dungeon. Yes, you still might be kicked, especially if you end up with those same asshats again but at least the group has warning that you may need some mechanics explained.

Good luck out there.
Heriocs (especially the trolls ones) require for you to know mechanics. Most groups (and I'm a tank, I've seen a LOT of groups) don't take time to explain things. They usually barely know themselves, they just want to barrel through a dungeon. I would suggest reading the dungeon journal AND watching youtube tutorials on fights. What's the harm? At least you forever know those dungeons after doing that and you'll be able to explain the fight to some other poor soul who doesn't know it without him having to be put through the same crap as you were.

Because wait times for DPS are killer!
Yeah, you're expected to KNOW how the fights work. The ones that kicked you out belong to that elite group that were born knowing all the fights and what to do. Nobody had to tell them anything so if you dare join these groups they don't have time for you. It's a gift.

Then there are the DPS and gear snobs already mentioned. It's like this game is their end life goal. "you don't do enough DPS" - kick. Does it matter that you are going through all the bosses without a problem? Nope. Or, maybe you have to use a little strategy to get through. Maybe even the healer may have to do a little more work (his job). Or someone may actually have to take 3 whole minutes to tell you what is happening. Really! They will NEVER get those 3 precious game minutes back again!.. The nerve of new players to not know what to do. Besides that, you don't have the gear!!!

Question: "Where do you get the better gear?"
Answer: "From doing the instances man!"
Question: "So how else do I do the instances without joining a group?"
Answer: Kick

Bullies and Snobs exist everywhere. Internet anonymity empowers them beyond belief.

I can understand some concern over a warrior being geared with agility, a mage with strength, etc. But, clearly that person is in need of some guidance not ridicule. Point them to an information site. In the name of all that is holy not Blizzard! No offense to them but their information is cryptic, difficult, and forum based . There are a lot of good clear informational sites out there. Or just tell them that they need to switch their focus and they won't really be able to help the group geared the way they are. Oh yeah, it's easier to say "You're an idiot, moron, etc." --Kick.

Go look it up on some random site on the internet? Yeah I guess you could. Not a substitute for actually doing it though. And what if it's new? Someone had to do it first. Nobody was there to explain it to them. Oh, I forgot about the "divine ones" that are born with this information... .keep missing that.
08/06/2012 05:27 AMPosted by Carvy
I made sure growl was off, etc etc.

Hooray!

Anyway, it sounds like you just got a bad group. I've been in plenty of groups where someone doesn't know the boss fights and either myself or others had explained it to them. This happens much more often when the content is current and people are a bit more patient (I think.) But I've been in the old and troll heroics more recently and had to explain fights and no one was kicked.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but you may have been in a guild run and they probably felt is was faster to just replace you because they were just doing it for points or what have you. Which is a sad mentality but some people have it.

Um.
Yeah.

Um.
Yeah.
Its called teamwork. Studying is for the classroom.
With that mentality you deserve to be kicked in the balls
You said yourself that you waited 20 minutes in queue. That is enough time to research bosses. People not knowing what to do was acceptable in the first month of Cataclysm, but not more than a year and a half later. I know you said that you had just come back to the game, but you should have known this. At this point, people have ran dungeons around 100 times each, so they just want to get in and out as quickly as possible. Kicking you is quicker than explaining the fight and risking a wipe. It's tough, but that's the way it is.

You said you were in heroic. Odds are your gear had a bit to do with the bad attitude towards you as well. Normal would help you learn the fights, and help you gear up. On my Warlock (first character I leveled to 85), I did every dungeon on normal first.
Dont concern your self with some of the asinine posts in this thread OP.

You just got a bad group, 5 man mechanics isn't complicated enough for anyone to study up on, I think a simple, "stand there" or "interrupt this" would of sufficed, what you described isn't something that occures on a regular basis.

Just requeue, there are still helpful players out there
It's been rare that I get groups like that. You are as likely to get grouped with people, who, while not chatty, are at least "nice".

I ran the Occulus once and the tank spent a lot of time explaining what we had to do. He was good guy.
You're DPS. You don't have a job other than do damage.

You're kinda expected to know how fights work. And you're so easy to replace that there's no reason to sit there and explain it to you.

Not being mean, but pretty much this. There's a dungeon guide that explains the fights and you can also check out guides on you tube as well. Spend 5 minutes explaining or kicking and waiting 2 seconds for another dps? What would you choose.

Um.
Yeah.

So you're upset that you were kicked from agroup for not knowing the mechanics of a boss fight that has been out for nearly 2 years? I understand that you just came back but you should expect this sort of reaction from strangers in LFD. And yes, if you refuse to use a tool Blizz implemented to help with situations like these then you indeed deserved to get kicked from the group.

Personally, I would have just explained the fight myself but after the first wipe bc you let the stacks get to 100 I would kick you in a heart beat. Sorry : /
That's what some of LFD has devolved in to. I'd say most of the time people are forgiving especially if people mention they're new to the instance or what have you.

But I've seen people gripe at DPS classes for not pulling enough DPS...when the DPS wasn't level capped being as how we were in a normal instance. I've seen heirloomed players kick or threaten to kick players that weren't in heirlooms in low level dungeons for not being able to keep up. The extra anonymity over and above what we already had with cross server dungeons brought out the worst in a lot of players.

Where are these forgiving people you speak of?

No, but in seriousness, if you ran all these dungeons you never noticed people are just all "run and done" with no tolerance or personality or anything?
With an attitude like yours I'll kick you just for being an eletist Douche bag. The OP shouldnt have been kicked there are too many that play WoW like it matters in real life and show no compassion towards others this is a game after all. If all you have time to do is bum rush instances for badges do it with your guilds. This game truly does reflect today's social norm if it don't please you or don't benift you you walk on by of sneer and make some nasty comment. I'm ashamed to be part of today's community really If I could voice what Id like to do to these individuals Id be imprisoned for life.