Troll Mages

Story Forum
So, Ive searched around and havent really turned anything up:

When and why did trolls pick up the arcane?

From what I can gather timeline wise, they really couldn have picked it up from the Forsaken. When the Horde first formed, the Forsaken weren't a part of it, and Tauren and Orcs didnt practice magic. Due to the Forsaken having really only been in the Horde around a year before WoW Vanilla launched and not really mingling with Trolls, and there already being Troll mage trainers, it seems to me that they probably knew it before joining the Horde. But how, when, and why?

Thoughts?
Troll mages are probably a branch off from Witch Doctors

Troll Witch Doctors spread into Shamans, Shadow Priests, and Mages
Well Trolls have been around for longer than the Night Elves and they have fought multiple wars all over the world against magic users. Eventually the saying, 'If you can't beat em, join em' has got to come into play.
Trolls were given Mages in Vanilla as a sort of, "Witch Doctor," class, much like how their Shadow Priests and Shamans filled a similar role. It was to give the Horde access to two races with the class, as the Alliance had 2 races who could be mages at the time.
If I recall correctly, didn't Zalazane feel offended when Thrall commented about the Arcane in a negative light?
Plus there's the fact that the historical Zandalari mages created a shield around their homeland during the Sundering much like what encased Dalaran following WCIII.
Chances are that for as long as there have been Trollish cities, there have been Trollish magic-users. While they may not be clear cut mages, the Zandalari, Amani, Drakkari, Gurubashi, Farraki, and the Darkspear all have had people adept at manipulating the arcane for a very long time.
It doesn't actually make sense. It goes something like this:

-The Zandalari know Arcane magic.

-For some reason the Amani knew nothing about it, which gives them a disadvantage in the Troll Wars because the High Elves teach it to the humans.

-The Darkspear also know arcane magic, and we can hope that has something to do with the Zandalari or the fact that they might have learned it AFTER the Troll wars.

Blizzard tried giving some fake lore to it during vanilla when this website hosted a fake news paper "written by Goblins". It had an interview with the Valley of Trials Troll Mage trainer, who had a terribly over-written accent.

In either case, calling them "Witch doctors" is ludicrous. Shaman and priests are closer to Wtich Doctors than Mages are. At least the Zandalari know something about enchanting and have shown magical aptitude.
08/02/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Heimreich
Chances are that for as long as there have been Trollish cities, there have been Trollish magic-users. While they may not be clear cut mages, the Zandalari, Amani, Drakkari, Gurubashi, Farraki, and the Darkspear all have had people adept at manipulating the arcane for a very long time.

No.

The Amani didn't know about arcane magic prior to the Troll Wars.

Which makes no sense, since the Amani came from the Zandalari tribe.
08/02/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Heimreich
Farraki

When did Star Trek get involved in this?

08/02/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Drailen
In either case, calling them "Witch doctors" is ludicrous. Shaman and priests are closer to Wtich Doctors than Mages are. At least the Zandalari know something about enchanting and have shown magical aptitude.

I don't know, considering the Elemental spells mesh nicely into it, then you have spells like Polymorph and Remove Curse... seemed to fit in my opinion.
Except, in the very least, I can say 100% that Polymorph was not thematically designed to have anything to do with Witch Doctors. That is a staple of fantasy in general, and was a Mage spell in WCIII.

As for Remove Curse...no idea. I always chalked it up to Gameplay.
Blizz descibed how the trolls couldnn't pick up this new Arcane magic quick enough to repel the nelf attack. i'd say sometime during their first conflict with the nelves.

No.

Which makes no sense, since the Amani came from the Zandalari tribe.

Wasn't there an Archaeology item that said the Amani mastered enchanting, and the High Elves stole it from them?

EDIT: Found it. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=89890
08/02/2012 07:09 PMPosted by Drailen

Where are you getting that info?
08/02/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Omacron

Tides of War book.
08/03/2012 06:06 AMPosted by Drailen

Tides of War book.

Curious cause theres an artifact that states that the Amani had superior enchanting methods to the High Elves when the two groups first encountered each other.
Zul'jin has a moment right before the Trolls attack Quel'thalas where he/the author summarize the Troll Wars in the narrative to explain why the Amani want Quel'thalas so much.
Didn't there used to be an NPC in Zul'Gurub who explained that the ancient trolls knew some kind of magic similar to rune-casting where they channeled magical energies through fetishes?
Seems the Amani lost the knowlege if the info from the tides of war book is a proper interpretation becasue there is alot of ingame sources that give trolls arcane prior to the troll wars.
The full quote from Tides of Darkness is as follows:

But the elves had several strong advantages, the greatest of this had been
their accursed magic. The trolls had never encountered such magic before,
and had not had a way to counter the elves’ mystical attacks or breach their
arcane defenses.

This doesn't necessarily imply that the forest trolls did not have mages- simply that the mages of the high elves were much better at it than they were. Which makes sense: not only did they have the advantage of the Well of Eternity but their society completely revolved around arcane magic whereas the trolls had other magic like voodoo and shamanism to split their focus on.

It's like saying "I've never seen such strength" when someone lifts something heavy. That doesn't imply that you're too weak to lift anything, only that the person doing the lifting is very very good at it.