Blood Elf RP Question

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Is it possible for me to make a blood elf paladin who used to be a mage, and hos family became mages because they were gifted with firebreath? I know it sounds awful, but is it possible?
He used to be a mage. He became a paladin after Kil'jaden's defeat. I'm wondering about the fire breath part.
08/02/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Allash
I'm wondering about the fire breath part.

There's nothing in the lore that I know of that supports anyone other than dragons having any sort of breath attack at all.
When I say "fire breath" I mean that they would cast a fireball spell, but through their mouth. It was gifted to the family by dragons, which was why they became mages.
08/02/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Allash
When I say "fire breath" I mean that they would cast a fireball spell, but through their mouth. It was gifted to the family by dragons, which was why they became mages.

Sounds a bit off to me.

Dragons as a general rule don't show themselves to others. They certainly wouldn't pick out an elven family and teach them how to shoot fireballs out of their mouths.

When you decide to add in a quirk that 'sounds cool' just because, that's usually when you need to step back and ask yourself if it does anything beneficial for the character at all. Most of the time, that answer will be 'no'.
Thank you for answering my question. I was only asking if it was alright.
So his family could have an odd gift like that?
08/02/2012 07:24 PMPosted by Allash
So his family could have an odd gift like that?

"Gift" is to strong a word and opens way to Mary Sueness later on, or at least it can be.

Also, Sin'dorei don't really 'stop' being mages and just choose something else, at least not to my knowledge, it's either you're a mage or a paladin, nothing else.

The only viable reason I see to this 'flame breath' is if the character was a Pyromancer. I have a Pyromancer as a character, but the only reason why they can use a flame breath spell is because they tried hard to achive it, I needed to make sure that the character worked hard to achive something. Spitting fire balls out of your mouth kinda sounds like Naruto to me, if it's flame breath you are talking about, then it's a stream, not a fire ball.

While it is viable, reaserch and proper thinking must be done, so it sounds logically sound at least. Also don't make it over powered either.
I think it COULD be done, pulling a few strings. Basically what Lia said.
08/02/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Allash

Keep in mind that dragons themselves don't cast fireballs from their mouths, but breathe fire, assuming they are of the correct color. And I don't see the Red Flight as instructors.

It's rather hard imagining dragons teaching a trick they don't do themselves.
The part about him being a mage and then becoming a paladin is possible, certainly. A lot of Blood Elves would have seen how viable a source of magic drinking from the Naaru was and would embrace it - especially if they had qualms about the Fel Crystals.

The 'fire breath bit', as a natural gift to the family, no. As a rare/difficult spell taught by the family from one generation to the next? Yes. If the family is known for having genetic sorcery? Also possible. So if he comes from a family of sorcerers, who have a spell that allows them to easily (once mastered) breathe fire from their mouth like a dragon? Highly possible given the nature of the High/Blood Elves.