Mac OS x version 10.6

Mac Technical Support
so since most of those updates require me paying for it or buying a new computer does this mean i can't play since my mac is 10.5.8?
When the Mists of Pandaria pre-patch is released, 10.5.8 will not be able to open, patch or run the game due to compatibility issues. This is why we created the post and advise users to contact Apple to upgrade.
08/09/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Pallyownz
so since most of those updates require me paying for it or buying a new computer does this mean i can't play since my mac is 10.5.8?

You don't need a new computer. All you need is OS X 10.6, and that supports ALL Intel Macs. If you don't have an Intel Mac, you stopped playing WoW 4 years ago.

You can either buy 10.6 on disc or use a buddy's disc, provided it's a "retail" version and not a "restore disc" for his particular Mac. The retail version has 1 license. The family pack has 5. If he's moved onto 10.7 I believe that makes his 10.6 license(s) available. Anyway I don't see Apple really giving a care about making money on 10.6. After all, upgrading to 10.6 gives you the App Store, and they care A LOT about making money on the App Store. It also allows you to digital-download future MacOS versions, and they care about that too.

I've heard if you call AppleCare and beg, they'll send you a 10.6 disc for $30. IME they send it FedEx overnight, which costs them about $8 at their discount.
In addition to Rangewolfs' post, if you decide to update to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, you can be on the safe side and upgrade to Mountain Lion 10.8 which costs $19.99 from the Mac App Store, since it's the latest platform that will have support from Apple for sometime.
I've heard if you call AppleCare and beg, they'll send you a 10.6 disc for $30. IME they send it FedEx overnight, which costs them about $8 at their discount.
Beg...? No.
Simply order it? Yes. It's not like it's an issue for them to ship you one, I ordered mine today. No problem.
P.S. The number to call for the 10.6 disc is 1-800-MY-APPLE for anyone that may need to know. =)
I just resolved this issue myself. I have a MacBook running 10.5 and hadn't played WoW since June. After getting the message that I needed 10.6 or higher, I went to an Apple store to buy the upgrade disk. They told me the disk was no longer available but they could keep my laptop overnight to upgrade me for free. Saved me $30, and now I'm up and running again.
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and even purchased some added RAM as well and boy does my game run better than ever! Loving every second
10/01/2012 05:37 PMPosted by Crankgobbler
I just resolved this issue myself. I have a MacBook running 10.5 and hadn't played WoW since June. After getting the message that I needed 10.6 or higher, I went to an Apple store to buy the upgrade disk. They told me the disk was no longer available but they could keep my laptop overnight to upgrade me for free. Saved me $30, and now I'm up and running again.

I highly suggest that you make yourself a clone of your freshly upgraded OS, because if you don't and it goes south, well, guess what creek you'll be up? (Hint, it rhymes with "bit").