Tauren Paladins

Paladin
I know this topic is a little outdated being that Cataclysm has been out for quite some time now but I am unable to play for extended periods of time due to military responsibilities.

I was was recently brought back to the game by a friend of mine who plays a resto tauren druid and was looking to group with him for both pvp and pve. Being that he is a tauren and they can become paladins now I was thinking of changing over to a tauren to make it more of a team with one issue.

It just doesn't seem to me that tauren paladins really work. Yes I understand the whole getting powers from the sun god deal as opposed to traditional paladins and they have those cool tribal kodo mounts but that just doesn't seem to work on a few levels to me.

Tauren paladins, seem to be based more off the Aztec sun warrior archetype. A tribal holy warrior, yet their look (besides the mount itself) and their abilities do not match this. Being that they use the same paladin armor as everyone else and their abilities have the same graphics they adopt more of the european view of a holy warrior. A specific example being Guardian of Ancient Kings. Making them really their lore in name only.

This leads them to look a little goofy (in my opinion) in paladin equipment. Does anyone else notice, or have a problem with this?

The abilites could be an easy correction, since it is already done partially with other classes (bloodlust vs. heroism) The armor situation....i'm not sure.

Maybe this discrepancy in my head can be fixed by transmogs but I really can't think of any plate sets that would fit the archetype. Rise of the Zandalari armor comes close but is a little too dark to be for a paladin.
Fortunately, Tauren "Paladins" and "Priests", known as Sunwalkers, are actually just Druids that have learned to use the sun as most Druids use the moon.

In game they're best (though not perfectly) represented as Priests and Paladins, but that isn't what they are.
Yeah, blizz threw lore out the window a long time ago. Also, they needed a second paladin race and they didn't have a lot of options.

Orcs - too bloodthirsty.

Trolls - voodoo and holy probably don't mix.

Goblins - well, they could be priests, but paladins? Probably not.

Forsaken - again, can be priests, but undead paladins? Again, probably not.

Blood elves - already pallies, and that was even a stretch.

Taurens were the only logical choice, though they do look horrific in most pally tier.
Fortunately, Tauren "Paladins" and "Priests", known as Sunwalkers, are actually just Druids that have learned to use the sun as most Druids use the moon.

In game they're best (though not perfectly) represented as Priests and Paladins, but that isn't what they are.

This.

They're called Paladins and not Sunwalkers for mechanics purposes. :)
08/15/2012 12:47 AMPosted by Sparklefever
Tauren Pally thread #58953987048

/popcorn
*Response that tauren paladins are the best and everyone should be one.*
*Response that femtauren paladins are the best and everyone should be one.*

Fixed.
08/15/2012 06:02 AMPosted by Lonnoc
*Response that tauren paladins are the best and everyone should be one.*

Taurens have always been my favorite race in WoW. Ever since I played WCIII. I just fell in love with their peaceful, shamanistic society. Cairne is still my favorite character in all of Warcraft history (as a result, I pretty much hate Garrosh and kill Grimtotems on sight). But my favorite class has always been Paladin. As such, I had to play as an ELF for YEARS! With their stupid pointy ears, that ridiculous twirly jump, and "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?" ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!

As soon as I heard that Taurens would be able to be Paladins, I practically squealed with joy over the prospects of it. The lore makes sense to me... more sense than any other horde race possibilities, anyways.

Now come on... You're saying that my armor looks bad? Well everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you. And to make matters worse... With transmogrification, isn't this kind of a moot point? Don't like your pally gear? Change it! There are Xmog sets ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Find something that you think looks good on you first! Use Atlas Loot if you want to actually see the equipment on your character. Then go get whatever set of gear you've chosen and Xmog it over your pally gear, that I guess you don't like. Problem solved.
Yes, a lot of paladin gear is based on a more European concept of a holy crusader, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for a Sun-based warrior either. Lightbringer, for example, is a pretty nice sun-like set, and T13 has feathers and stuff if you want a more "tribal" look.
You know the same argument can be said about Blood elves right?

This.

They're called Paladins and not Sunwalkers for mechanics purposes. :)

Yep, and I totally agree. I like tauren and would play them in the drop of a hat, if the concept transferred over to practice. T13 is kindof close, as well as the caster plate gear from ZA/ZG. But beyond that, unless there are sets that I can't find most just fit an inappopriate theme.

Even looking through the transmog threads i'm not seeing it.

Like I said i'm sure in the time that I didn't play these horse has been beaten into dust, I mainly bringing it up because I was wondering if anyone found a way to make it work.

I will agree full t13 is a little closer.

08/15/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Soledo
You know the same argument can be said about Blood elves right?

Ehh...not so much. BEs have a history of being associated with the light from the strategy games, and really (my main issue with tauren) their look and style fits their profile.
As a paladin of 7 years and a big lore fan, I don't mind the Sunwalkers. Honestly, I would have gotten behind the idea of Forsaken Paladins as well. After all we did have Sie Zeliek who I always thought was pretty awesome. So strong in the Light that even in undeath the Light has not left him.
I'm a Tauren Paladin and I don't give a !@#$ if you think my race should be a Paladin or not.

Taurens are boss. Cairne basically proved it when he had the advantage over Garrosh in their "duel" before he got poisoned.
I'm not saying Tauren should not be paladins. I'm just saying their gearing and ability animations should fit them more.
It's just not going to happen though. We're the only paladins that don't follow the same holy warrior archetype. If they make gear to fit us, it won't fit the rest of the paladin races (and race-specific gear just isn't going to happen). Probably the best you could hope for would be for warriors to get a tribal-themed set and we could use the non-set pieces.

For ability animations, as far as I know we're still empowered by the same Light; we just acquire it differently. So, it makes sense that our abilities look the same as the other paladins'. When we need a holy guardian, we call upon the Light and receive the same guardian that every other paladin would be given. (Not that I would be opposed to getting a tauren guardian, though.)
Yeah, sadly there aren't enough tribal styled armors in WoW. Closest you can get is usually Troll armor and most of that is more of a dark/death theme and not as fitting for a Paladin. I played a Belf for far too long. The first day Tauren race change was available, I jumped at it and never looked back. The current ingame armors fit all other Paladin races much better, but I'm happy so long as I never have to be a Belf again.

I really wish they'd implement Forsaken Paladins as well. Initially it didn't fit with the lore of WoW at all as Paladins were immune (cleanse spam??) to the plague of undeath unleashed by the Cult of the Damned and Arthas. But post-Cataclysm, Sylvanas now has the Val'kyr to raise anyone (including Paladins who dies of mortal wounds) so it makes perfect sense lore wise (though I'm sure many will disagree). But if Forsaken Priests can channel the light, second generation Forsaken Paladins should be able to as well.

Back on topic: Race change, you'll be glad you did.

Edit: I always liked the look of the Heroes Redemption set, the browns and golds look very earthy and fit Tauren well. Also I always thought the Ruthless Gladiators set looked very Tauren appropriate as well. The helmet has a very hawkish look giving it kind of a tribal/totemic feel and the reds are a nice change from the run-of-the-mill golds and silvers Paladins usually wear.
08/14/2012 11:02 PMPosted by Sororitas
This leads them to look a little goofy (in my opinion) in paladin equipment. Does anyone else notice, or have a problem with this?

This is a rather copmmon thing to be honest, Classes come across the board of races but some races have them in entirely different ways, for example, lore wise, UD priests are ALL Shadow.

Now, the Paladin class is thankfully based on the human race and dwarf race interpretation of it, as they are the first races to have the class within the game. Now sadly they cannot, or at least are not willing to change the classes entirely based on these facts alone, it would be, to them, a waist of time and money. I shall also note that Blood elves are in the exact situation, as their interpretation of the class is more so bending the light with a slight grim featured theme to them, as they do it so in less light-like ways.

However there is a minor solution, as far as the ability pictures and names go, you can just make macros for all of your main abilities, give them more appropriate pictures and names.

Armor wise you are pretty much screwed.
08/14/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Lobster
Trolls - voodoo and holy probably don't mix.

inb4 lore police and their Freethinkers lol

lore police here.

The descriptions of the "freethinkers" is only that they were ones who stuck to a religion they believed in, and died for it, like paladins, and that their armor was similar. It was supposedly noted that they had used "shining voodoo" as well, as a sign that they may have been paladins, but their order was by far more primal. Maybe yes, but taurens were in better shape compared to modern trolls to receive the class.