A MVP wants game-time ban for forum bans

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 26 Next
Equating forum bans to game bans (in an apples-to-apples way) is impossible, since you can't really ever commit exactly the same set of infractions just in the forums as you can in-game. Therefore, being banned from one 'side' cannot logically ban you from the other in an equal amount.

That being said, if someone commits a repeated or heinous enough offense, there's no reason they shouldn't be banned from the other at some certain level.

For instance, if you get a weeklong ban from the game b/c you exploited a bug against the ToS, you may not have done anything wrong that someone can do on the forums, such as flaming, death threats, stalking, etc. In that case there may be no justified reason for banning them from the forums. You might also have repeated crap postings on the forums and gotten a ban there, but still have game access, because you only committed offenses on the forums themselves, rather than repeating whatever in trade chat.

Banning someone from both should be reserved only for those who are concurrently breaking the ToS in both areas, or if someone is banned from all Blizzard services as a last resort.

You're missing the point. Banning across the board gives some teeth to the time-out.
Since when did people get this strange idea that as soon as a post is reported, the person being reported is instantly banned?

You're all aware that they have community managers that review reported posts right?
wait.... Wern't you an MVP at one point?

I mean WHAT THE HECK!

Just because I was one and often support them, doesn't mean I cannot be critical of what I perceive as poor behavior on their part as well.

I am not saying that... But I am not really seeing poor behavior on their part. Droth was called out by taking a lot of his posts out of context. Other then the attention which it has gathered (including a surprising number of MVP's appearing) I have not seen anything the MVP's have done as being "poor behavior".

Further, you seemed to imply the program operating in ways that you CLEARLY know it doesn't (you having been a member of the program yourself). I mean I haven't been in the program, and even I know some of the things you are implying are clearly false.

it's like you are deliberately trying to provoke things for some reason I have no idea. Maybe some leftover bitterness?
This is a terrible idea. Just because someone thinks I'm being a meanie poo poo head on the forums doesn't mean I should be locked from playing a game I pay for.

Some of the forum vacations I've "earned" have been from comments that I could say in real life to anyone short of a 5 year old with a psychotic mother 2 feet away and not even get an eyelash batted, but people will report for anything these days.

Report =/= auto-ban.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just not clever enough to see your point.
politically correct? he passed himself of as being in cahoots with blizz and their devolpment.

So you defend Dorth even though he implied he has direct contact to the developers in his other posts, and knows things under development that we as fellow players don't; which was the main cause for the OP creating this thread.

imo Since he is making it appear that other MVPs work directly with BLizzard when in actually they are the same as you are me, reporting Dorth seems the right thing to do.

I tried posting on the D3 forums once. They chased me out with actual pitchforks, even when I was just trying to help people figure out how to deal with having their accounts compromised.

I really think that people need to stop actively harassing Droth, even if he doesn't always make the most politically correct forum posts.

LOL Politically correct? If iam reading this right he passed himself off as being in cahoots with blizz and their development team. That is far beyond being politically correct and in fact maybe his wish should be granted with him/her being the first for this offense.
Don't worry guys, this will never happen. Blizzard has more sense.

Entertaining read, though.
LOL Politically correct? If iam reading this right he passed himself off as being in cahoots wit blizz and their development team. That is far beyond being politically correct and in fact maybe his wish should be grated with him/her being the first for this offense.

No I didn't. The only thing I said is I have the power to use E-Mails.

This kinda goes back to the whole being taken out of context thing.
Equating forum bans to game bans (in an apples-to-apples way) is impossible, since you can't really ever commit exactly the same set of infractions just in the forums as you can in-game. Therefore, being banned from one 'side' cannot logically ban you from the other in an equal amount.

That being said, if someone commits a repeated or heinous enough offense, there's no reason they shouldn't be banned from the other at some certain level.

For instance, if you get a weeklong ban from the game b/c you exploited a bug against the ToS, you may not have done anything wrong that someone can do on the forums, such as flaming, death threats, stalking, etc. In that case there may be no justified reason for banning them from the forums. You might also have repeated crap postings on the forums and gotten a ban there, but still have game access, because you only committed offenses on the forums themselves, rather than repeating whatever in trade chat.

Banning someone from both should be reserved only for those who are concurrently breaking the ToS in both areas, or if someone is banned from all Blizzard services as a last resort.

I get what you're reaching for here, but what you're also unintentionally doing is attempting to say "There's two different communities." There aren't. There's one community of WoW players, another community of SC2 players, a third of D3 players, and they sometimes overlap.

They all functionally operate under the same Terms of Use. The unfortunate reality is if you let someone get away with something in one part but not the other, they're going to continue the bad behavior in the place where they weren't punished.

The goal here is to clean up these forums, as far as I'm concerned, and if we happen to lose a few of the most egregious trolls' subscriptions as a result of them finally being held accountable for their behavior, I also consider that a net win.

A forum ban alone isn't a threat to them, so they'll continue the behavior. If it hits them where it hurts, in their ability to play the actual game, that's another thing. They'll pay attention to the consequences.

And an in-game ban equating to a forum ban... well, since you're supposed to have an active WoW account to post in the forums, if you're banned, your account isn't functionally active at that point, and you shouldn't be able to post here until it is.

I really think this is the most sensible solution to our rampant trolling problem. I'd love to see it implemented over on the Diablo 3 forums more than anywhere else, but believe me, the WoW forums can at times approach that level of vileness, and that doesn't benefit anyone other than those who get a twisted sense of satisfaction from irritating others.
Has there ever been an instance of someone receiving a game ban or time off for anything said in the forums? Like if someone admitted to cheating, botting, buying gold, etc.?
politically correct? he passed himself of as being in cahoots with blizz and their devolpment.

I tried posting on the D3 forums once. They chased me out with actual pitchforks, even when I was just trying to help people figure out how to deal with having their accounts compromised.

I really think that people need to stop actively harassing Droth, even if he doesn't always make the most politically correct forum posts.

LOL Politically correct? If iam reading this right he passed himself off as being in cahoots with blizz and their development team. That is far beyond being politically correct and in fact maybe his wish should be granted with him/her being the first for this offense.

I ahve to admit - I read all the posts by Droth in question (and even a few more for good measure), and never got this feeling. The only impression I got from him was that he forwarded a few posts to CM.

You or I can do the same thing. That doesn't make me in "cahoots" with blizz.
08/13/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Drothvader
LOL Politically correct? If iam reading this right he passed himself off as being in cahoots wit blizz and their development team. That is far beyond being politically correct and in fact maybe his wish should be grated with him/her being the first for this offense.

I have not read the thread this happend on but I did read what a poster said here. So you are saying it was taken out of context?
Further, you seemed to imply the program operating in ways that you CLEARLY know it doesn't (you having been a member of the program yourself). I mean I haven't been in the program, and even I know some of the things you are implying are clearly false.

it's like you are deliberately trying to provoke things for some reason I have no idea. Maybe some leftover bitterness?

Out of respect, I will not go into HOW MvP's know when these threads pop up. They DO. If they choose to disclose that fine. But it is THEIR right to do or not to do so.

But I do question, why is it, ONLY when an MvP is called to task for an idea that is universally panned do they flock to the thread (which is normally fine, I think I would LOVE to see more Green activity on the GD) and flood it? To me, that speaks of a 'gang mentality' which is intended to shout down any dissent but again, that's just my PERSONAL observation.
Affect - verb - to act on; produce an effect or change in.

Effect - noun - something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence.

Just sayin' ;)

Also, wouldn't it be an MVP not a MVP?
08/13/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Drothvader

pretty much.

Apparently emailing Blizzard makes you in cahoots. Shoot... Maybe I should be banned too? I have emailed once or twice.
Don't worry guys, this will never happen. Blizzard has more sense.

Entertaining read, though.

Well yeah, it's an idiotic idea both for the openness of the forums and in a business sense.
there were times when they were quick with banning people on the forums.
these days it isnt heavily moderated.

could be good for the forums but it could cause all sorts of headaches for blizz.