World of Warcraft - Cost & Expansions

Customer Support
I've made this thread mainly to sate my curiosity, and to hope for an answer to the question I'm sure a large number of people are wondering. (Mainly those planning to do RaF come MoP.)

Let's get a few base numbers out of the way first. Currently, the total cost of the game "World of Warcraft", including Mists of Pandaria is approximately $120 USD - not including any possible CE's.

WoW®: Battle Chest® - $19.99 USD
http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=110000044

World of Warcraft®: Wrath of the Lich King® - $19.99 USD
http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000265

World of Warcraft®: Cataclysm™ - $39.99 USD
http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100001289

World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™ - $39.99 USD
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6771526

I was my impression that the reason Blizzard merged BC with 'vanilla' because they felt the number of expansions may be confusing to new players and/or act as a deterrent. The price may also have been a factor.

I'm curious as to if Blizzard is considering lowering the price of Cataclysm to $19.99 USD on MoP release, as they did for WoTLK around Cataclysm release. Lowering the total cost to ~$100 USD.

Additionally, I feel the number of expansions is once again possibly overwhelming and an active deterrent to new players. There are not too many games where you are required to buy three previous games to play the current, latest content - the 'new' game.
I'm wondering if Blizzard will merge WOTLK with the Battle Chest. Possibly make it $25-30 USD.
(The price is less of a factor then simply the amount of games required to purchase to play the new content developers put so much blood and sweat into creating)

On the note of price though, is $120 (under the assumption that Cataclysm's price will not be reduced) an acceptable price to play a 'new' game? New being the latest expansion - i.e in line with the price of new games being released in the current market.

Please take into account the age of the game (8~ years, release date November 23, 2004) and the age of each consecutive expansion; The Burning Crusade, ~5 years (release date January 16, 2007); Wrath of the Lich King ~4 years (release date November 13, 2008); Cataclysm ~2 years (release date December 7, 2010).

Individually, the price of each expansion is not an exorbitant sum, but it is the culmination, and the fact that each prior is required to play the current, that is the concussive factor.

I may be drifting off topic slightly. This post isn't intended to be a jab at Blizzard for a possible 'money grab' (they're a business). As such, I'll go back to the original question, and address is quite simply:

Dear Blizzard,

Do you plan to lower the price of Cataclysm on or near Mists of Pandaria release? Additionally, is their anything in the works for the addition of WoTLK to the Battle Chest, or any planned modification to it?

Yours Faithfully,

Squibblez

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to read folks! Hopefully it wasn't too drab.

P.P.S. Apologies if this is the wrong forum.
They have a digital sale on and have since the release date was announced to upgrade from starter edition all the way to MoP for only $59.99 USD via account management.
It only costs that much if you either upgrade through the Blizzard Store (when there isn't a sale, obviously) or upgrade incrementally. If you want to upgrade all the way in one go, you can do so through Account Management at a pretty hefty discount.

That being said, suggestions as to pricing structure belong in General where they can be seen by the Devs (who don't routinely view this forum). I have no doubt that the price of Cataclysm will drop after MoP releases however, and Blizzard may decide to include Wrath in the Battlechest at some point in the future.
On the note of price though, is $120 (under the assumption that Cataclysm's price will not be reduced) an acceptable price to play a 'new' game?

If you were a new player, I highly doubt you would be buying all the expansions at once. Not to mention there are constant sales in stores and online, even on battle.net. The best time to buy everything is when the Christmas sales are on.
08/19/2012 07:24 PMPosted by Flatspriest
They have a digital sale on and have since the release date was announced to upgrade from starter edition all the way to MoP for only $59.99 USD via account management.

It only costs that much if you either upgrade through the Blizzard Store (when there isn't a sale, obviously) or upgrade incrementally. If you want to upgrade all the way in one go, you can do so through Account Management at a pretty hefty discount.

That being said, suggestions as to pricing structure belong in General where they can be seen by the Devs (who don't routinely view this forum). I have no doubt that the price of Cataclysm will drop after MoP releases however, and Blizzard may decide to include Wrath in the Battlechest at some point in the future.

Oh, really? Sorry I didn't know that! So when you create a new account, say with RaF, they have an option in account managment to upgrade straight to Mists of Pandaria for $59.99 USD? I must of skimmed that blue post, can you please direct me to it?

Yeah, I wasn't sure. Sometimes things get lost very quickly in General.
most of those sorts of sales aren't stated in like blogs or general except by other players who notice it but yes currently a digital upgrade from starter edition to MoP is only 59.99 and considering MoP is 39.99 alone you would be getting battlechest wotlk and cataclysm for only 20 dollars.

Also if later you decide you want the pet and mount from MoP deluxe you will get the option to upgrade to that for 20 usd at some point.

edit: revised a few things to make more clear
most of those sorts of sales aren't stated in like blogs or general except by other players who notice it but yes currently a digital upgrade from starter edition to MoP is only 59.99 and considering MoP is 39.99 alone you would be getting battlechest wotlk and cataclysm for only 20 dollars.

Hmm okay, thanks. I'd still love clarification from a blue, but I doubt that will happen.
08/19/2012 07:52 PMPosted by Lurus
most of those sorts of sales aren't stated in like blogs or general

Um, there are usually advertisements all over the main site whenever there's a sale on. Its usually mentioned in the launcher as well. Now if you navigate directly to the forums or bypass the launcher you'll miss it...
Um, there are usually advertisements all over the main site whenever there's a sale on. Its usually mentioned in the launcher as well. Now if you navigate directly to the forums or bypass the launcher you'll miss it...

ok i usually miss them then by navigating right to this forum with a quick glance at the wow blogs and blue posts which have listed sales such as the 25% sales for services and 10-10-10 sale earlier.

I saw the digital sale by navigating to my battle.net of my second account when mists presale opened up.

edit: i dont see any blogs or anything on the launcher about the 59.99 digital upgrade to mists besides the announcements about the mists presale but i dont see in there that its 59.99 from starter to normal mists.
I think new players should pay full retail prices for all of it. I paid 39.99 for wow, 39.99 for TBC, 39.99 for WoLK, 39.99 for Cata and the 69.99 for MOP Deluxe why cant new players pay the same the rest of us had to.
Also, remember that even at the prices you listed above, that's still a hefty discount.

The base game used to be $50, and three expansions at $40 means that a lot of players are $170 in. Add in $40 for MoP and it's up to $210 for a lot of players.
Also, remember that even at the prices you listed above, that's still a hefty discount.

The base game used to be $50, and three expansions at $40 means that a lot of players are $170 in. Add in $40 for MoP and it's up to $210 for a lot of players.

$210 over 8 years isn't a lot. The impact is different from $120 straight up.
I found out about the $59.99 sale for the game and all expansions by creating a starter edition then clicking on the link in account management to upgrade it. It is a 45% savings over the normal price.
08/19/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Squibblez
$210 over 8 years isn't a lot.

It is when you count a subscription for those 8 years.
08/19/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Squibblez
$210 over 8 years isn't a lot. The impact is different from $120 straight up.

It doesn't matter. If a new player wants to pay for the expansions over a period of time, they still get a severe discount. $210 that Vanilla players spent is still a lot more than $120 that new players will pay.

The period of time has nothing to do with it.
08/19/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Squibblez
Let's get a few base numbers out of the way first. Currently, the total cost of the game "World of Warcraft", including Mists of Pandaria is approximately $120 USD - not including any possible CE's.

Logon to Account Management, select a Starter Edition account, and click upgrade to see what it would cost. It won't process just from clicking on it. They do not document prices in the support documents because they change them fairly frequently. The $59 price to go from Starter Edition to MoP has been available for weeks already.
08/19/2012 08:37 PMPosted by Samanthâ

Logon to Account Management, select a Starter Edition account, and click upgrade to see what it would cost. It won't process just from clicking on it. They do not document prices in the support documents because they change them fairly frequently. The $59 price to go from Starter Edition to MoP has been available for weeks already.

Ahh I see, when I click to upgrade to the Battle Chest it's like "Hey wait, get this one instead!" kind of thing.

I wonder if it's a permanent promotion?
08/19/2012 08:45 PMPosted by Squibblez
I wonder if it's a permanent promotion?
It hasn't been announced one way or the other as to how long the promotion will last. It has been on for about a month already with no indication it is going away any time soon.
08/19/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Candlehunter
I think new players should pay full retail prices for all of it. I paid 39.99 for wow, 39.99 for TBC, 39.99 for WoLK, 39.99 for Cata and the 69.99 for MOP Deluxe why cant new players pay the same the rest of us had to.

I wouldn't pay that. If I had to start WoW over again from scratch today, paying all that would only serve as a deterrent to doing so, especially in this economy.

08/19/2012 08:05 PMPosted by Thelootgnome
Um, there are usually advertisements all over the main site whenever there's a sale on.

The first time I heard of this discount promotion was from here. I actually never ran into any notice of it anywhere else. It's not hard of a stretch to imagine that many people are unaware of it.
08/19/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Seiryu
The first time I heard of this discount promotion was from here. I actually never ran into any notice of it anywhere else. It's not hard of a stretch to imagine that many people are unaware of it.

I think that is why Blizzard puts that giant UPGRADE NOW button on your game client and Account Management. They figure someone would be curious enough to try clicking on it and see what it would cost, especially since everyone was supposed to logon to Account Management to change their password.