College Football fans!

Movies, TV and Entertainment
Who is ready for some college football?!

Do you have a favorite team? Why do you like your team? What are some of the best historical moments of your favorite team? Try to keep the smack talk down if possible and try to respect other team fans even if they are fans of your bitter rival.

I'll get us started.

I'm an Oklahoma Sooners fan. I have been once since as long as I can remember. Most of my family are OU fans, though we have some UT fans believe it or not (Red River Rivalry is tons of fun for that reason), and we have a few OSU (Okie state, not Ohio) in the family.

I love OU because the school has a long history of success and tradition. We don't have to change our uniform design every year like some schools. When we wear throwback uniforms, you can hardly even tell!. We still hold the record for most consecutive wins in major college football. ESPN has previously named the University of Oklahoma as having the most prestigious football program of all time. That's of course debatable, and there are other schools that are right there with OU, but based on the scoring they used at the time, it put OU on top.

Here's some raw stats for you:
  • ESPN ranked Oklahoma as the most prestigious college football program overall since the advent of the AP Poll in 1936.
  • Oklahoma has the most 10+ win seasons (32) and 11+ win seasons (20) of any program, as well as the fewest losing seasons (12) of any program.
  • Oklahoma has been ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll (100 weeks)and in the Top 5 (374 weeks) more than any other team.
  • Oklahoma was given their 10th preseason No. 1 ranking in 2011, another record.
  • In the "modern era", which is post-World War II, Oklahoma has the most wins with 567, and the highest winning percentage (.763) in the country.
  • Oklahoma has the most wins and best winning percentage in college football over the last 75 years (1935-current).
  • Oklahoma is the only school to have four coaches with at least 100 wins each (Stoops, Switzer, Wilkinson, Owen).
  • Oklahoma has had at least one first team all-conference player in 95 of the 96 seasons it has played in a conference.
  • Most modern era NCAA-recognized titles with 16.
  • Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for most consecutive victories with 47-straight (1953–1957).
  • Oklahoma has scored more points than any team in college football history with 31,436 through 2011.
  • No program has more unanimous All-Americans than Oklahoma. OU and Notre Dame have 31 all-time.
  • Oklahoma had an NCAA-record 768 rushing yards in 1988 against Kansas State.
  • Most weeks ranked No. 1 in the BCS with 20 weeks (through 2010 season).
  • Most weeks ranked in top 5 in the BCS with 46 (through 2010 season).
  • Oklahoma has the most rushing yards in a season with 5,635 in 1971, which was 470 yards per game (12 games)
  • Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for the most points scored in a single season with 702 points through 12 games in the 2008 season (58.5 points per game).
  • Oklahoma holds the record for most consecutive 60+ point games, scoring 60 or more points for five straight games in 2008
  • Oklahoma holds the record for most lopsided instate rivalry with a record of 82-17-7 (as of the end of the 2011 regular season) over Big 12 Conference opponent Oklahoma State. In fact the rivalry is so lopsided that Oklahoma has shut out Oklahoma State more times (28 - not including 0-0 ties) than Oklahoma State has won against Oklahoma.
  • In the 2010 NFL Draft, Oklahoma became the only school in the history of the NFL Draft to have three players selected in the first four picks of the draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-YOPTUuvx4

This is not meant to be me saying my school is better than your school! This is just for any college football fans to tell us about your team, no matter if it's been a huge success historically or not. I love watching football, and I like to hear about other teams from their fans' perspective.

So share anything you like about any college football team you like! If you want to post way-too-early predictions for the season that's fine too!
I'm not too big on College Football. NFL yeah, but I go for teams that win against the Dallas Cowboys. I hate them with a passion. The only way I can see myself a fan once more is have Troy Aikman head coach or Offensive Coordinator.
Oh God...is it that time again, already?
08/22/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Anacrusis
ROLL TIDE!!! the only team that matters

I actually have a soft spot for Alabama! They are one of those teams with lots of tradition and success. There was a game several years back when we were playing Texas A&M after Coach Fran left Bama for aTm. OU fans actually chanted Roll Tide at the game to throw it in Coach Fran's face. I suppose now it's even sweeter considering Bama's success!

But yeah, OU and Bama both share similar colors and both have long standing traditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB4y0a4EYfk

Check that video out. It's legendary OU coach Bud Wilkinson doing an interview with legendary Alabama coach Bear Bryant. Both were amazing coaches.

08/22/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Viral
Oh God...is it that time again, already?

Soon™
Just a week away!
THE Ohio State University.
Are you ready for some (college) football?!

I was born, I bleed, I breathe and I will die a Nebraska Husker fan. So much tradition and some great rivalries--none more great than with Oklahoma I might add. Great matchups throughout the years between the two programs, including the 1971 Game of the Century when my #1 Huskers outlasted your #2 Sooners which was essentially the championship game anyway.

Nebraska arguably has the most passionate, loyal fans in the country. Longest sellout streak in the country, dating back to 1962. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has a fanbase that is more willing to travel vast distances to see Nebraska play. If you have any doubts about that, just ask Notre Dame, when we literally took over their stadium in 2000. Here's a pic of their stadium for that game: http://www.todayinndhistory.com/pages/events/?id=320

I know Nebraska is only a shadow of the greatness they were in the 70s 80s and 90s, but I am hopeful that this year brings us back into the national spotlight. I know, I say that every year lol, but this just might be the year. Time will tell. Officially 1 week away from kickoff! GO BIG RED!
I am a Penn State grad so yeah... :(
I was born, I bleed, I breathe and I will die a Nebraska Husker fan. So much tradition and some great rivalries--none more great than with Oklahoma I might add.

That's so true. Although today most Oklahoma fans have settled on Texas being our great rival, Nebraska is our traditional rival! The Big 12 almost killed it completely since we only got to play you guys 2 of every 4 years, and now of course you guys have left for greener pastures which put the nail in the coffin. Really sucks that all the politics of the conferences and such gets in the way of our football! And that's not me dissing Nebraska, every school and conference is just as guilty.

08/25/2012 06:37 AMPosted by Garrux
I am a Penn State grad so yeah... :(

I imagine it's pretty tough being a Penn State fan right now. There's still a lot we don't know. I'll just say that I understand the NCAA's position, but I don't want this thread to turn into a debate on that issue. There's plenty of discussions of that on sports boards across the Internet. I don't want to get into who could have done things different or who might have done everything they could, etc. I'll just say that Penn State has a lot of tradition, and they will eventually be able to put the sanctions behind them while also ensuring something like this doesn't happen again, whether fault really did lie with the school's administration or not.

THE Ohio State University.

Even Oklahoma fans often call Ohio State tOSU to distinguish them from okie state. There's so many OSU's out there, and there's a couple OU's, but unless someone is speaking at a regional level, most know OSU means Ohio State, and OU means Oklahoma.
Are you ready for some (college) football?!

I was born, I bleed, I breathe and I will die a Nebraska Husker fan. So much tradition and some great rivalries--none more great than with Oklahoma I might add. Great matchups throughout the years between the two programs, including the 1971 Game of the Century when my #1 Huskers outlasted your #2 Sooners which was essentially the championship game anyway.

Nebraska arguably has the most passionate, loyal fans in the country. Longest sellout streak in the country, dating back to 1962. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has a fanbase that is more willing to travel vast distances to see Nebraska play. If you have any doubts about that, just ask Notre Dame, when we literally took over their stadium in 2000. Here's a pic of their stadium for that game: http://www.todayinndhistory.com/pages/events/?id=320

I know Nebraska is only a shadow of the greatness they were in the 70s 80s and 90s, but I am hopeful that this year brings us back into the national spotlight. I know, I say that every year lol, but this just might be the year. Time will tell. Officially 1 week away from kickoff! GO BIG RED!

Good luck to your Huskers this year. Can't wait for the Scarlet & Gray to play em. Should be a good game.
i'm slowly getting into more college football watching. college football was actually my first introduction to enjoying football period.since then i became more of a nfl football fan and kinda quit paying alot of attention to college football until the last few years.

as far as favorite team,originally it was the miami hurricanes even though i am from louisianna,the first college game i sat down to watch was the penn state vs miami hurricanes championship game where penn state beat them out but it was a high scoring game from both parties. shortly after that i became a miami dolphins fan watching dan marino do his thing.

as far as a favorite college team i really don't have one since there are soo many college teams. i root for the lsu tigers because i'm from here, i also root for alabama when they aren't playing lsu because my boss got me into watching/listening to their games but i have to say i am a football fan first and decide what team to root for depending on who is playing.

i don't get to see a ton of the teams that college has due to where i am at geographically. kinda like the nfl it's not up to me what teams i can choose to watch. when a team is on tv in it is usally a team that is within my area.
i'm slowly getting into more college football watching. college football was actually my first introduction to enjoying football period.since then i became more of a nfl football fan and kinda quit paying alot of attention to college football until the last few years.

as far as favorite team,originally it was the miami hurricanes even though i am from louisianna,the first college game i sat down to watch was the penn state vs miami hurricanes championship game where penn state beat them out but it was a high scoring game from both parties. shortly after that i became a miami dolphins fan watching dan marino do his thing.

as far as a favorite college team i really don't have one since there are soo many college teams. i root for the lsu tigers because i'm from here, i also root for alabama when they aren't playing lsu because my boss got me into watching/listening to their games but i have to say i am a football fan first and decide what team to root for depending on who is playing.

i don't get to see a ton of the teams that college has due to where i am at geographically. kinda like the nfl it's not up to me what teams i can choose to watch. when a team is on tv in it is usally a team that is within my area.

Great read, thanks for sharing! I've always been more of a college football fan myself. I just love the entire experience around it. It always feels like there's something bigger going on than just a game, the whole experience around each game. The other thing I love about college football is that most players know they are never going pro. Most know this before they even start playing at the collegiate level. They go out there and give it their all because they love the game, and they know they are there to get an education (most, not all).

There's exceptions of course. There's shady things that go down from time to time. But for the most part, most of the athletes despite what people may think really are there for an education and they also happen to be able to do something else that they love in the process.
Well that was an embarrassing season opener for OU. UTEP played above their level. Gotta give them credit on their special teams play. They did an excellent job. OU on the other hand looked pathetic almost across the board. OUr defense actually did alright. They didn't allow any touchdowns, though they did let them get into field goal range several times, but luckily for us their kickers were both off.

OUr offense struggled most of the night. Landry Jones was alright. It's easy to pin a lot of blame on the quarterback, but honestly the two things that were ticking me off the most was the O-line and OUr wide receivers. They were dropping catchable and right-on-the-money passes, and they weren't getting open. This left Jones having to wait too long to pass, which was compounded by OUr terrible O-line. It's clear the QB and WR's aren't clicking. Their timing is off.

OUr offense finally came together a bit late in the game. They have a long ways to go though.

As bad as things were on offense, it's OUr special teams that really drove me nuts. A blocked punt (resulting in a touchdown for UTEP), a blocked field goal. Every time we went to punt it was a nail biter, and we had to do it a lot due to OUr offense stalling out so much.

Again, props to UTEP, I don't want to take anything away from them, they didn't just come out give a good showing, they played to win. I can't, however, dismiss the fact that OU played some terrible football. Dare I say it almost reminded me of the Sooners in the 90s. The players just didn't look pumped up. Hopefully the game was an eye opener and they wake up and pull their heads out of their fourth point of contact.

At this point I cannot with a straight face say that OU should be ranked 4th. I'm not negative here though. I know that OU can come together. I'm confident that they will start clicking. I just hope they get it together soon. We've lost a lot of experience on the team, and these new guys are going to have to step up.

One thing is for sure, College Football season has begun, and I am excited!
I despise any SEC teams since all their fans are elitist jerks on high horses. What kind of person only routes for the winning teams?

I also HATE Oregon more than any other team because they are the epitome of everything wrong in college sports. Oregon is pretty much a Nike franchise with unlimited funds and all the bells and whistles to poach recruits across the country. It completely goes against competitive sports.

Other than that, I love college football. Going to about eight or nine Pac-12 games this year.