[Guardian] - MoP Tanking Guide (5.4)

Druid
Post Limit:
Prev 1 19 20 21 23 Next

Seems you're right. I tanked Norushen to 12 Stacks of the debuff on Normal (MT death) and finally only died to the Enrage. Second attempt was the kill. (Only came in because our Warrior was getting smoked in his trial)

OT, I did the math and I somehow mitigated a 1.76m hit to still be alive at that point O_o. God I love druids.

Tell your warrior to take mass spell reflect for the trial. Move out of the smash. Spell Reflect first hurl. Block piercing corruption. Mass reflect second hurl. Reflect third hurl. Mob should be dead.

Have done, but thanks. No longer an issue since we finally recruited one. :) (He was playing an off-spec to keep raiding going)
So yea.....Sejta is going All mastery gems and reforging to mastery for heroic content....wondering if he did the math and saw that it was better ?

his crit is at like 40%
He's likely doing it because Garrosh heroic is probably punching his face in.

No it's not better. Sejta can do whatever he wants =D
Or single-tanking Paragons.

I wish people would stop armory-trolling players doing things not even remotely related to what they're killing.
I'm seeing a lot more gear recommending haste over other secondary stats, specifically when comparing the snow lily belt and damron's belt of darkness. Is there a reason to be looking at haste as a secondary stat or is it just to increase rage gen/tooth and claw procs? I cannot find anything that really answers why haste would be worthwhile for a druid if you are not having issues with rage already. Thanks all for any input.
09/27/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Selds
just to increase rage gen/tooth and claw procs?

Yes.

Also has a minor DPS increase, but nothing compared to Crit.
09/27/2013 09:16 AMPosted by Ariellè
just to increase rage gen/tooth and claw procs?

Yes.

Also has a minor DPS increase, but nothing compared to Crit.

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess what follows that is why would one be taking haste over mastery or reforging mastery into haste, which I'm seeing recommended a lot.
Thanks for getting back to me. I guess what follows that is why would one be taking haste over mastery or reforging mastery into haste, which I'm seeing recommended a lot.

Because Mastery is purely an EH stat, and worse than Stamina at doing that even. Swapping to Mastery is only done as an absolute last resort after you've converted everything else to Stamina where possible.

Plus it's just not as versatile as Haste.
Concerning the mastery issue, im only in 541 ilvl gear, and noticed that I am slightly over 74% damage reduction from armor with mastery buff, which is not far from the cap. I am assuming with higher gear level bears must be armor capping even reforging out of mastery. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I am using two 480 stam jc gems rather than crit. I assume that since the jc gems allow equivalent levels of the primary stat that it is superior to crit due to this? Just wondering what others opinions are. Also, I am a max level miner. Considering going blacksmith or other profession that would allow me to choose stats rather than being forced into the stam benefit.
Concerning the mastery issue, im only in 541 ilvl gear, and noticed that I am slightly over 74% damage reduction from armor with mastery buff, which is not far from the cap. I am assuming with higher gear level bears must be armor capping even reforging out of mastery. Can anyone confirm this?

I wish people would read the section of this guide that discusses how Armor works.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412404169?page=1#3

Also, I am using two 480 stam jc gems rather than crit. I assume that since the jc gems allow equivalent levels of the primary stat that it is superior to crit due to this?

Eh, Stamina doesn't really serve any purpose beyond EH. In any case, you won't see any appreciable difference between 480 Stam and 320 Crit.
Or single-tanking Paragons.

I wish people would stop armory-trolling players doing things not even remotely related to what they're killing.

its good to sometimes see what other players are doing, especially the more successful ones just to create discussion.

being dismissive about doesn't really add any value

Because Mastery is purely an EH stat, and worse than Stamina at doing that even. Swapping to Mastery is only done as an absolute last resort after you've converted everything else to Stamina where possible.

this contradicts with the person that actually did swap to mastery tho....so don't know what your talking about.....and if you've converted everything to stamina, the only thing you're you're putting towards mastery would be reforge
its good to sometimes see what other players are doing, especially the more successful ones just to create discussion.

being dismissive about doesn't really add any value

The only thing you're going to really learn without any logs is something you might want to try for Heroic Paragons 10m when you're undergeared.

Which applies to exactly...5 guilds? Maybe? Anything else is mostly just useless speculation.

09/27/2013 07:50 PMPosted by Morphina
this contradicts with the person that actually did swap to mastery tho....so don't know what your talking about.....and if you've converted everything to stamina, the only thing you're you're putting towards mastery would be reforge

Or, actual gear (See: Juju). It's also quite possible he doesn't have any Stamina trinkets to speak of, although I really doubt he doesn't have a Soul Barrier, it's possible.
So, our MT is going to be gone a lot over the next few weeks, so I'll be playing my alt here a lot again. I'll likely get my cloak done either this week or next. I'll likely be passing on a lot of gear to mains, so my ilvl won't be going up much. Our current progression is 10/14N with some really close attempts on Thok under our belt.

My question: Should I get the tanking cloak to offset my lower gear, or is the proc simply not worth it compared to the DPS that the cloak provides?

Second question: I have the trinket with Stam and an On-use AoE damage reduction. Are there any fights where you'd actually recommend using that? My current trinkets are the ones I have on and Rentaki. (My gear has a ton of Expertise right now, so I can't use it without going way over cap)
10/08/2013 07:30 AMPosted by Everythang
My question: Should I get the tanking cloak to offset my lower gear, or is the proc simply not worth it compared to the DPS that the cloak provides?

For your item level, get the tank cloak.

10/08/2013 07:30 AMPosted by Everythang
Second question: I have the trinket with Stam and an On-use AoE damage reduction. Are there any fights where you'd actually recommend using that?

Malkorok for sure, probably be good for Thok too given your low item level.
10/08/2013 07:47 AMPosted by Ariellè

For your item level, get the tank cloak.

Second question: I have the trinket with Stam and an On-use AoE damage reduction. Are there any fights where you'd actually recommend using that?

Malkorok for sure, probably be good for Thok too given your low item level.

Ah, during p2 I assume on Malk? I can definitely see it being good for Thok, especially late in each p1 when the shouts are closer together and healers are getting interrupted.

I've tanked through Spoils on Flex and it all felt pretty trivial to survive, so I figured I'd check with the experts. :)

One other quick question before I spend too much time playing around reforging in AMR, would it be worth going down from one of my 540 tier pieces to a 530 (upgraded t15) gloves/chest for that 2p bonus?

Thanks for the help.
10/08/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Mageski
One other quick question before I spend too much time playing around reforging in AMR, would it be worth going down from one of my 540 tier pieces to a 530 (upgraded t15) gloves/chest for that 2p bonus?

No. You have more than enough Vengeance to use FR effectively whenever you need it.

Ah, during p2 I assume on Malk?

Yeah, especially when you go into it with 12 stacks :(

I can definitely see it being good for Thok, especially late in each p1 when the shouts are closer together and healers are getting interrupted.

Pretty much. Also reduces damage from the breath attacks.

You'll find Siegecrafter is pretty much a joke, but Paragons could be dangerous depending on your strat.

Not sure I'd want to tank Garrosh at 535 though. That's definitely why you would want the tank cloak. Both my co-tank and I were fine, but we're at 550ish.
Just wanted to leave a thank you on the advice. We didn't quite get Thok down last night, but I was able to take 4 stacks easily using that trinket with my low gear. (No love from drops yet). Should drop easily on Monday. Hopefully I can get some flex love between now and then.
Nice Guide man :D
I'm currently going for challenge mode run to get realm-best time and i use alchemist trinket and rune of re-origination, but i don't like rune very much since you can't have a lot of haste/mastery to get a good critical increase.
I'm willing to change rune into another trinket, so gets me to my doubt : Relic of Xuen, Searing Words or Bottle of Infinite Stars? or maybe there are another better options?
Keep up the good work :D
Sorry for bad english :(
Out of those, Searing Words is defiinitely the best option. A Dragonling (Crit/X/X) is also a good choice.
Just wanted to say, excellent guide,
I kinda left my druid sitting around the 60's range but I know if I wanna pick it up this expac this guide has got me covered.

also a fairly easy enough read for me when trying to help newer guild members with their goal of being a bear =)