"Please check your internet connection"

Technical Support
"Failed to download a required update. Please check your internet connection and try again."
I get this message when I start the patch optimization.
I've deleted my battlenet folder.
I've tried it with my firewall down and my antivirus uninstalled.
I am running as admin.
I'm using windows XP if that is helpful.
I'm getting the same message, I've tried all of the above as well and not getting anywhere.
I'm having the exact same problem on Windows 7. I get to the panda screen, it stays on 0% for about 15 minutes, then it tells me that I need to check my internet connection. However, I am fully connected to the internet.

I've tried running the optimizer on safe mode, that didn't work. Neither did turning off my firewall or deleting my battle.net folder. I've been trying for several DAYS now. None of the tips printed so far have worked.

Why is it that some people on these here forums are getting through the patch and not others?

If it helps. I hadn't played WoW for 2 weeks before I decided to log in and ended up dealing with this nonsense.
I am having the same problem with windows 7.

I am giving up... let me know if someone finds a solution.
There's a Sticky that may help http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412103544#2
or you can do what I did.

Simply move your "data" folder to your desktop and start the download.

Apparently there is something in the folder that chokes the optimizer. Again no idea why but after trying the 20 different solutions that failed, this worked and I'm playing again!