Protection Warrior for PVP in MoP

Warrior
Greetings my fellow combatants,

Recently I've created this Warrior and planning it to be the defender of the innocent in the battlegrounds.

And I ask thou a question, will I have the capacity of protecting my beloved team efficiently? Or I'll be doing better in another specialization?

From Mabele,
/roar
Bump for less Patch 5.0.4 QQ

Shockwave, Stun Bolt, Vigilance or Intervene, Disrupting Shout and you might do....okay.

The issue with the class, and the issue with the game, is that you don't have any passive spell mitigation beyond your baseline PvP Defense and whatever you gem into your gear, so keep in mind that your only defense against casters is going to be your stun/silence/interrupts and your time on target + Spell Reflect.

On the bright side, get you a Glyph of Gag Order, which, calling all Warriors, if you don't know how useful this glyph is in PvP you're about to find out.

The primary function of a Prot Warrior in PvP is flag carrier on WSG/Twin Peaks. Otherwise you are going to be relegated to a utility role in the function of constant control.

Shockwave is a 4 second stun on a 20s CD, that means a 20% stun uptime. You can reflect one spell against yourself on a 20 second CD if glyphed. You have one 3 second silence on a 15 second CD, which is a 20% uptime on silence. You also get a 3 second stun on a 30s CD on Storm Bolt, which is a 10% uptime. You get a 1s stun on a 12s CD with Juggernaut or a 3s stun on a 20s, which is a 15% uptime. And also a 3s silence on Heroic Throw which is a 30s CD, or another 10% uptime silence. On top of that you get an AOE interrupt on a 40s CD with 4 sec spell school lockout.

So functionally you should be able to lock down a healer or a caster for roughly half the time. Plus a 10 second disarm for melee DPS and hunters.

Remember, the purpose of Protection Warrior design has never been "protecting" allies, and it has never been survivability or sustainability. Protection Warrior design has shoehorned us into the function of a utility class. Otherwise they would make taunt work in PvP, lol, then we'd really be able to protect our allies.

So as a result, forget about damaging enemies and forget about charging into the fray against unconquerable odds and expecting to survive. Neither are going to happen.

Your job is to stunlock mDPS, disarm them, and silence/interrupt healers. That simple. If you can't identify healers and you can't learn how to use your crowd control utilities every time they're up, don't bother. But if you can maximize efficient use of your crowd control abilities, then you will fill a valuable support role in arenas or BGs - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Just to throw this out there more for !@#$s and grins.

At 87 we'll be getting a banner you can throw down and Intervene/Safeguard to.

Probably won't be that special, but doing it in beta was funny.

Shockwave, Stun Bolt, Vigilance or Intervene, Disrupting Shout and you might do....okay.

The issue with the class, and the issue with the game, is that you don't have any passive spell mitigation beyond your baseline PvP Defense and whatever you gem into your gear, so keep in mind that your only defense against casters is going to be your stun/silence/interrupts and your time on target + Spell Reflect.

On the bright side, get you a Glyph of Gag Order, which, calling all Warriors, if you don't know how useful this glyph is in PvP you're about to find out.

The primary function of a Prot Warrior in PvP is flag carrier on WSG/Twin Peaks. Otherwise you are going to be relegated to a utility role in the function of constant control.

Shockwave is a 4 second stun on a 20s CD, that means a 20% stun uptime. You can reflect one spell against yourself on a 20 second CD if glyphed. You have one 3 second silence on a 15 second CD, which is a 20% uptime on silence. You also get a 3 second stun on a 30s CD on Storm Bolt, which is a 10% uptime. You get a 1s stun on a 12s CD with Juggernaut or a 3s stun on a 20s, which is a 15% uptime. And also a 3s silence on Heroic Throw which is a 30s CD, or another 10% uptime silence. On top of that you get an AOE interrupt on a 40s CD with 4 sec spell school lockout.

So functionally you should be able to lock down a healer or a caster for roughly half the time. Plus a 10 second disarm for melee DPS and hunters.

Remember, the purpose of Protection Warrior design has never been "protecting" allies, and it has never been survivability or sustainability. Protection Warrior design has shoehorned us into the function of a utility class. Otherwise they would make taunt work in PvP, lol, then we'd really be able to protect our allies.

So as a result, forget about damaging enemies and forget about charging into the fray against unconquerable odds and expecting to survive. Neither are going to happen.

Your job is to stunlock mDPS, disarm them, and silence/interrupt healers. That simple. If you can't identify healers and you can't learn how to use your crowd control utilities every time they're up, don't bother. But if you can maximize efficient use of your crowd control abilities, then you will fill a valuable support role in arenas or BGs - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

That's awesome!

But, if stunlocking mDPS, disarming them, silencing/interrupting healers isn't protecting my beloved team, I don't know what it is! Controlling is also a manner of protecting!

Anyway, thanks for the awesomely written review of the Protection arts! Next time I see a Orc Warrior in the battlegrounds I'll be more careful!

From Mabele
/roar