PvP Power gems

Warlock
First of all, what is PvP Power? Is it better than intellect? Should I be gemming pvp power gems or stick with my intellect gems? why?
PvP Power reduces the amount of resilience on any given character (simple). It acts as a resilience 'penetration' stat.

Basically, PvP gear is granting 40% dmg reduction because everyone has 30% innately and pvp power nullifies 30% of the 70% (base and PvP gear combined), meaning overall pvp gear would only give about 10% dmg reduction, totalling to 40% resilience with PvP Power; which is pretty low. Given that most PvP'ers will have full PvP gear (except for some who will use some pve items where pvp power doesnt exist on pvp gear), the only advantage pvp power would have is that if a person is wearing full pve gear they'd only have 30% so a pvp geared person would nullify his dmg reduction totally whilst the pvper still holds dmg reduction vs the pve geared person.

It's negating the effect that PvE gear has in PvP.

To sum it up; PvP gear = 70% damage reduction. Versus another PvP'er, her/his damage reduction becomes 40%.

PvE gear = 30% damage reduction. Versus a PvP'er, her/his damage reduction becomes 0%.

That's MY understanding of that.
Oh, and unless this has been changed and I am unaware of it, PvP Power also increases healing. I don't know if that affects our healing, but if it does /cashregisternoise.
PvP power gems don't exist yet, so don't worry about it until level 90.
08/28/2012 10:41 PMPosted by Vreivai

Not true.
08/28/2012 11:24 PMPosted by Sytry

Not true.

Are you sure about that? There are level 85 PvP power gems? There aren't any with the other gems at any PvP vendor, nor are the patterns available from JC vendors for JC tokens.
08/28/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Vreivai
Are you sure about that? There are level 85 PvP power gems? There aren't any with the other gems at any PvP vendor, nor are the patterns available from JC vendors for JC tokens.

When I was on the PTR, spell pen gems converted to pvp power gems. Haven't checked on live yet, but I'm assuming it's the same way.

Spell Pen became PvP Power.

Conquest vendor sells epic ones as well.

Spell Pen became PvP Power.

Conquest vendor sells epic ones as well.

Ah, I thought they were yellow gems.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Are we going to need to run DPS tests on players?
at 90 possibly, simply because a pvp power gem gives 240 pvp power, where as an int gem only gives 120 int. So primarily it will be based on the scaling of your spells/abilities that determine which is better.

You can buy them from the honour vendors. The only ones i've found are 50 PVP power gems. Which is the epic gem version.
Stormy Ocean Sapphires are +40 PvP power.
I haven't crunched any numbers on this, but the theory is pretty simple.

PvP Power increases your damage as a percentage.
Intellect increases your damage as a constant.

Here is how it will work (just the theory, the numbers are just examples)
With 100 spellpower, 1 intellect is equal to 1% Power (both increase damage by 1%)
With 1,000 spellpower, 10 intellect is equal to 1% power (Both increase damage by 1%)
With 10,000 spellpower, 100 intellect is equal to 1% Power.

PvP Power gets more valuable as you get more and more intellect.
So .... at lvl 80 with the neighborhood of 9k spellpower ...

is it worth it to full pvp power gem?

(keep in mind you'd be losing on up to a few hundred intellect by switching intell gems for pvp pwoer gems)

>>>?????
Did you gem for pvp power yet? Is it better than intellect gems?
09/07/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Ghizza
Did you gem for pvp power yet? Is it better than intellect gems?

Some mage players calculated that above 9150 Spell Power, it's best to go with a mix of PVP Power Gems and Int Gems at 75% PVP Power and 25% Int gems.
Since us Warlock's have a nifty ability for 10% spell power (yes, other classes have this too, woopty doo), going by Infernalist's speculation, 9150 spell power can be achieved by having 8318.2 (or just 8318) spell power (which is 3 under what I have, unfortunately :'[), making the +50 PvP Power gems (700 honor @ the Cataclysmic vendor) a very viable choice, and a *DPS* increase. (By that, I mean a damage % increase).

A general rule of thumb that I took up is, if I have over 10,000 spell power, substitute int gems for PvP Power/PvP Resil or PvP Power/Secondary Stat or straight PvP Power.