Fury of Pandaria: PvE Fury in MoP

Warrior
Prev 1 77 78 79 145 Next
edit: nevermind. momentarily freaked out at RB stuff
I'm going to run this by the important people before formally calling a lot of people around the forum dead wrong, but it needs addressing that the differences between TG and SMF break down much less simply than just "TG for AoE, SMF for single target". As far as I can remember, it's at 4-7 continuous targets that TG shines over SMF; what a lot of people are completely missing is that, while the main hand attack of a whirlwing or raging blow a TG warrior throws will be much stronger than one an SMF warrior throws, both of those attacks(which make up 95% of our AoE kit) strike with an offhand that for TG does 62.5% the damage a main hand does, while for SMF does(before the 35% multiplier) 84.375% the damage a main hand does.

Also, SMF isn't worse pre-execute than TG, it's just not reliably better by as wide a margin. 1% rather than 3%, if I recall correctly.

Also, I believe TG has a wider damage range than SMF. SMF's average simmed dps remains higher, though.
Edit: Math. Thanks Sam.
TL;DR, SMF is better AND more reliable dps than TG on every fight we've yet seen this tier besides Ji-Kun. I think.
I'm going to run this by the important people before formally calling a lot of people around the forum dead wrong, but it needs addressing that the differences between TG and SMF break down much less simply than just "TG for AoE, SMF for single target". As far as I can remember, it's at 4-7 continuous targets that TG shines over SMF; what a lot of people are completely missing is that, while the main hand attack of a whirlwing or raging blow a TG warrior throws will be much stronger than one an SMF warrior throws, both of those attacks(which make up 95% of our AoE kit) strike with an offhand that for TG does 62.5% the damage a main hand does, while for SMF does(before the 35% multiplier) 84.375% the damage a main hand does.

Also, SMF isn't worse pre-execute than TG, it's just not reliably better by as wide a margin. 1% rather than 3%, if I recall correctly.

Also, I believe TG has a wider damage range than SMF. SMF's average simmed dps remains higher, though.
Edit: Math. Thanks Sam.
TL;DR, SMF is better AND more reliable dps than TG on every fight we've yet seen this tier besides Ji-Kun. I think.

I'll have to re-run all the AoE numbers, as it's been a very long time since I ran the numbers. Higher ilevel weapons/gear, as well as the various class mechanic changes will change the numbers enough that any outcome could be possible. Plus, simcraft has improved the AoE code substantially in the last month.

I'll try and re-run my numbers tomorrow, I've been in the process of moving into a new place the last week so I haven't had too much free time.
@^ Thanks man, whenever you get time.
Amazing guide, thank you. I have printed this off and use it each day.
why is it that I do more damage at lower levels (1-70) using prot spec than fury spec?
why is it that I do more damage at lower levels (1-70) using prot spec than fury spec?

Vengeance. Tanks hit really hard with it and will always put up ridiculous damage in low level dungeons.

Fury doesn't shine until end game because you need a lot of crit, and you won't get much crit while leveling.
If you're going to steal my mog, Horrack, you could at least do it correctly.
Anybody else see this RB doesn't require enrage?!? What does this mean for fury rotation. Maybe I"m reading it wrong?
It means nothing because you've been able to do this since at least 5.0.
Anybody else see this RB doesn't require enrage?!? What does this mean for fury rotation. Maybe I"m reading it wrong?
It's a tooltip fix. Right now Raging Blow only requires enrage to give you the buff to use Raging blow, you don't actually have to be enraged to use it. Removing that text is mostly there to avoid any confusion.
It means nothing because you've been able to do this since at least 5.0.

This. You get a charge of Raging Blow by enraging, but the usage of said Raging Blow is not limited to being used only during an enrage. Using an un-enraged Raging Blow is rather poopy, and not something one would(or should) do most of the time, but it's possible.

So basically it's just a tooltip clarification, nothing to get worked up over.
I just got an LFR Spark of Zandalar, and I'm not sure if I should use it or not. The list on BiS trinkets doesn't go so low as to include LFR trinkets, so is the trinket worth replacing either of the trinkets I currently have(Which is a 2/2 xuen and a 1/2 normal Lei Shin)?
I just got an LFR Spark of Zandalar, and I'm not sure if I should use it or not. The list on BiS trinkets doesn't go so low as to include LFR trinkets, so is the trinket worth replacing either of the trinkets I currently have(Which is a 2/2 xuen and a 1/2 normal Lei Shin)?

Simple. No, don't use it.
If you're going to steal my mog, Horrack, you could at least do it correctly.

I can't help being bald right now, I don't want your original gimp mask of a helm, the tabard is unnecessary, and screw farming Kara for that cloak.
Oh, and for gorehowl, again, screw Kara.

^Immortalized in the guide now thx
AoE !@#$:

2 Targets: Do normal rotation, throw in whirlwind during free GCDs outside of execute.
3: RB-cleave at 2 meat cleaver stacks.
4+: RB Cleave. (No target limit)

Now, when I say "RB-cleave", this involves doing the following:

BT-open-open-BT

Where openings are filled via the following priority:
CS > Whirlwind (Less than 3 meat cleaver stacks) > Raging Blow > Bloodsurge Wild Strike (<30 rage) > Whirlwind (Already at 3 stacks.)

TG VS SMF:
1 Target: SMF +3.1k DPS
2: TG +9k
3: TG +14k
4: TG +17k
8: TG +28k

So TG has a fairly significant AoE advantage over SMF. This is generally averaged out on most fights due to mechanics, but on certain fights (Horridon, Council, Tortos) TG is most likely better than SMF.

If you're interested in what AoE does to stat values, I ran a test with 8 targets for SMF:

Str: 1
Crit: 0.69
Haste: 0.35
Mastery: 0.74
Overcap hit: 0.25
AoE !@#$:

2 Targets: Do normal rotation, throw in whirlwind during free GCDs outside of execute.

Now, when I say "RB-cleave", this involves doing the following:

BT-open-open-BT

Where openings are filled via the following priority:
CS > Whirlwind (Less than 3 meat cleaver stacks) > Raging Blow > Bloodsurge Wild Strike (<30 rage) > Whirlwind (Already at 3 stacks.)

TG VS SMF:
1 Target: SMF +3.1k DPS
2: TG +9k
3: TG +14k
4: TG +17k
8: TG +28k

So TG has a fairly significant AoE advantage over SMF. This is generally averaged out on most fights due to mechanics, but on certain fights (Horridon, Council, Tortos) TG is most likely better than SMF.

If you're interested in what AoE does to stat values, I ran a test with 8 targets for SMF:

Str: 1
Crit: 0.69
Haste: 0.35
Mastery: 0.74
Overcap hit: 0.25

With that being said do you think then it would be more viable with the fights in Throne to go TG instead. With so many fights having to do with AoE and the Single target dps difference being insignifcant between TG/SMF. Would it be better just to gear for TG? Horridon/Tortos/Council/Jin-kun/Lei Shen as far as good amounts of AoE fights.

Followup question: does anything put execute back into rotation with 3+ targets? CS comes to mind as the big one, as with 3 targets it's a 50% dmg increase to execute but only a ~17% increase to the RB Cleave rotation.
With that being said do you think then it would be more viable with the fights in Throne to go TG instead. With so many fights having to do with AoE and the Single target dps difference being insignifcant between TG/SMF. Would it be better just to gear for TG? Horridon/Tortos/Council/Jin-kun/Lei Shen as far as good amounts of AoE fights.

Whatever you've got the better weapons for. Alot easier to get 1h's from Jin'rokh/Tortos than Council/Lei Shen. Heroic of course.
For a second I thought I was posting and I forgot that I made it.