Druid of the Antler?

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Hi. So... I love the new Travel Form. I love everything about it. I love being a stag, I love running around as one, I love the animations they have. I love them so much that it's kind of reinvigorated me and re-inspired me to roleplay my druid as a Druid of the Antler, a worshipper of the recently resurrected Malorne.

Buuuuut... then I went to WoWpedia to do a little research on that.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Druid_of_the_antler

Nothing. Nathin'. Nadda. It says they are quite basically a rumor, that nobody is sure if they exist or not. Do you think that roleplaying as a Druid of the Antler would be frowned upon in that case? Or do you think I could do this?
I don't see why it would be frowned upon, but then I also don't really see why Stag druids would really need to associate in their own order.

The RPG books are essentially fanon and conjecture now, but there would be no problem in my opinion with claiming a stag as your totemic animal, as a druid.

Deer really are passive, reaction-based animals and probably wouldn't be taking a front-line stand like bears, cats, birds of prey or snakes.
In short, no.

In long,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Go ahead. I don't see a problem at all with a Druid of the Antler.
I don't see why it would be frowned upon, but then I also don't really see why Stag druids would really need to associate in their own order.

The RPG books are essentially fanon and conjecture now, but there would be no problem in my opinion with claiming a stag as your totemic animal, as a druid.

Deer really are passive, reaction-based animals and probably wouldn't be taking a front-line stand like bears, cats, birds of prey or snakes.

Duly noted, all points.

In short, no.

In long,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Uum... okay? Can you tell me whhhhhhhhhhhhy?

Go ahead. I don't see a problem at all with a Druid of the Antler.

You too, why don't you see a problem?
^ "Oh no, they have a stag! FALL BACK, EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE"
Um... okay? What does that have to do with anything?
There's no real reason why having a stag as your totem spirit would be taboo. The Tauren seem to have a deep respect for all animals, whether they be predator or prey. I could easily see a healer or perhaps even a defender of one of the quieter villages appreciating the relatively more passive nature of a stag. Usually non-violent, but if push came to shove, those antlers could do some real damage if the situation did not present a safe retreat option.

In addition, Apa'ro/Malorne plays heavily in Tauren culture. And let's not forget that he was recently resurrected. This could certainly inspire any druid who actually sees him in action or hears stories of him.

In the end, it is up to you and how you want to play.
Ignore Fubaru, he is borderline trolling - pretending like he knows what he's talking about.

On topic: If something is SO obscure as to have no information available on common WoW information sites like wowpedia, it's probably going to be a challenge to RP. There is nothing to stop you, but prepared for a lot of "What?" responses from other players.
Thanks Mellodi, that helps a lot. And yes, I was thinking that the appearance of Malorne (Apa'ro as Randa would call him) in Azeroth again would be the chief inspiration for Randa. That also helps with how I would actually roleplay him. Which brings me to Lulala... yeah, I don't think I will be going around saying, "I'm a Druid of the Antler", more along the lines of "My spirit animal is the stag."
Ignore Fubaru, he is borderline trolling - pretending like he knows what he's talking about.

On topic: If something is SO obscure as to have no information available on common WoW information sites like wowpedia, it's probably going to be a challenge to RP. There is nothing to stop you, but prepared for a lot of "What?" responses from other players.

Quite the contrary. If there's no established lore you have a huge amount of freedom in how you develop a character or concept. As long as it makes sense within the constraints of the game world, go for it with gusto.
You can RP a Druid of the Antler, I've seen it done, and infact the person(people) who are RPing an Antler and pretty much taking up the Stag form as a way to RP as a Antler. There is no reason to say that you can't, I mean, Druids of the Antler pretty much follow the Stag spirit, Malorne, so I see no reason why you can't RP one.

Go for it, and ignore those who say you can't. Also, Fubaru, Antlers tend to use their Stag form for running and scouting, also they mostly fight out of those forms....a Druid of the Antler I know uses Barkskin as a weapon. If you're gonna say no, at least give a good reason, right now you're just being a troll.

Quite the contrary. If there's no established lore you have a huge amount of freedom in how you develop a character or concept. As long as it makes sense within the constraints of the game world, go for it with gusto.

I'm all for RPing something different from the norm, as long as it's done well. I have noticed, however, a disheartening trend in RP in recent months. If something is not firmly established within lore, people tend to shun and immediately label said character a snowflake, mary-sue, etc... often without reason.

I'm simply letting the OP know he is likely to meet with resistance from these types of players.

EDIT: Fubaru is a perfect example of the type of player I'm speaking of.
I'm sorry op, here's my actual two cents.

Unless you're planning on being the field medic, Grab soldiers, run back, heal, rinse repeat, I don't see much of a war element in a druid of the stag. But if it's for like herding animals or predators around for balance or something, go for it.

I'm just saying it would be near impossible. Rp is hard on its own, doing something almost taboo (Not full in lore) would be next to impossible.
Fubaru, appreciate you elaborating on your opinion, but may I ask why you think it is near impossible when all of these other posters believe that it can be done if done well? And keep in mind, I don't mean to be going around saying, "I am part of a specific sect of druids! Oh never heard of us? Well we're real!" I mean to just be using the stag as my spirit animal, to morph into one as my path to uphold and protect nature. Obviously it is not a total leap from their lore if Blizzard made Travel Form into a Stag, and Malorne is VERY prominent in Druidism as he is the father of Cenarius, and especially so since he has been resurrected. So why do you consider it taboo?

And to everyone else, thanks a bunch =) All your comments are really helpful.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Malorne

There is some info here that is quite interesting. Also, Malorne was very peaceful. Your druid should be as well. He also didn't go around making himself known.

Read up on Malorne and his relationship with Elune and create your story from there. I see no problems with this. Maybe you are fascinated with Malorne and pursue his ways.
Fubaru, appreciate you elaborating on your opinion, but may I ask why you think it is near impossible when all of these other posters believe that it can be done if done well? And keep in mind, I don't mean to be going around saying, "I am part of a specific sect of druids! Oh never heard of us? Well we're real!" I mean to just be using the stag as my spirit animal, to morph into one as my path to uphold and protect nature. Obviously it is not a total leap from their lore if Blizzard made Travel Form into a Stag, and Malorne is VERY prominent in Druidism as he is the father of Cenarius, and especially so since he has been resurrected. So why do you consider it taboo?

And to everyone else, thanks a bunch =) All your comments are really helpful.

Well it depends, Forum RP, Never try it, Ingame RP, Go for

The former is completely different from the latter.
Former: It's Taboo because we frown upon Things that have never been done before.
08/30/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Fubaru
Former: It's Taboo because we frown upon Things that have never been done before.

...this totally explains how Twilight Patrols had a bunch of "obscure" and "taboo" characters participating right?
08/30/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Danyle

...this totally explains how Twilight Patrols had a bunch of "obscure" and "taboo" characters participating right?

I'm not sure if you're insulting me or realizing something

If the latter: yes

HA! I laughed so hard at this *wipes tears*.
Deers are ferocious beasts that will beat your pets to a bloody pulp. Do not mess with deer. I assure you it will be the worst decision of your life.

As such, gopher it!