New Talent System

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Okay, so... I don't get it. I'm trying to understand this new talent system, but I don't think I can. I want to say that I'm really not happy with it, and neither are a lot of the other players (that I've seen).

This is what I don't like about it: the fact that it's mainly PvP based and that no matter which spec you choose, the talents are all the same. Seriously... IMO, the talent system before this was perfectly fine. It was normal, too >.>.

Umm.. not really trying to QQ, just giving you feedback on my opinion.

What do you think about the new system?
08/31/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Ameey
it's mainly PvP based

let me stop you right there and ask why you seem to think utility isn't useful in PvE
I love the new system. It brings choices and offers utility a lot of us didn't have before.
08/31/2012 03:12 PMPosted by Sondreya
it's mainly PvP based

let me stop you right there and ask why you seem to think utility isn't useful in PvE

For priests, I find there's a lot of spells that are mainly useful for PvP.
for one, the system is not "mainly" PvP. Saying its "mainly PvP" implies that the majority of talent choice are solely for PvP use. This is incorrect. While many talents and abilities in the game have BOTH pve and pvp uses, such as almost every spell you cast or ability you use, a few of the new talents, imo, provide a flexibility between both styles of gameplay.

While the talent trees are the same despite your spec, there are different applications of some talents depending on one's spec. Furthermore, many of the abilities that were available from your class are now defined by your spec. For example, as a Holy Paladin I have lost Holy Wrath. I can use that spell in a different spec, however.
The new system is great. I've played since classic and I think this is easily the best incarnation of the talent system.

Some talents may seem like PvP talents, but they're just utility. I also love that you can swap talents on the fly with Dust of Disappearance. Ice Barrier not working on this boss? How 'bout I switch to Temporal Shield and see how that works?

Anyway, the system is just wonderful.
it's mainly PvP based

It loses its value when everyone and their mom has a 5 second stun, aoe slow, aoe disorient, blah blah blah.

It means nothing.
I means nothing.

you got that right

there is no food for you here, troll. kindly return to your bridge
for one, the system is not "mainly" PvP. Saying its "mainly PvP" implies that the majority of talent choice are solely for PvP use. This is incorrect. While many talents and abilities in the game have BOTH pve and pvp uses, such as almost every spell you cast or ability you use, a few of the new talents, imo, provide a flexibility between both styles of gameplay.

While the talent trees are the same despite your spec, there are different applications of some talents depending on one's spec. Furthermore, many of the abilities that were available from your class are now defined by your spec. For example, as a Holy Paladin I have lost Holy Wrath. I can use that spell in a different spec, however.

Again, as I said in response to Sondreya, for the priests most of the spells in the talents are mainly useful for PvP. But you do have a point there. I didn't think of it that way.
IMO, the talent system before this was perfectly fine. It was normal, too >.>.

Your opinion is wrong, The talent system before was the same as the loot system is.

Literally, there was no difference between Talent Trees and loot.

"Is this an upgrade? Yes, ok, I'll wear this piece of gear/choose this talent"
Okay, so... I don't get it. I'm trying to understand this new talent system, but I don't think I can.

It's rather simple actually.

Every 15 levels you get to choose a new talent.
Pick one from the three choices offered.
08/31/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Sondreya
I means nothing.

you got that right

Thanks for admitting I was right. I can edit quotes too.

In a 25 man raid in mop its gonna be like this "Which of the 11 classes do we want to have slow/stun these adds since we can all do it now".
08/31/2012 03:18 PMPosted by Ameey
Again, as I said in response to Sondreya, for the priests most of the spells in the talents are mainly useful for PvP. But you do have a point there. I didn't think of it that way.

You never answered why you think there is no use for utility in PvE. Survivability, Movement and CC abilities are useful in PvE whether you think so or not so saying that they're mainly PvP is false.
Except for the fact that that's not what I was referring to.

08/31/2012 03:22 PMPosted by Aarschott
Okay, so... I don't get it. I'm trying to understand this new talent system, but I don't think I can.

It's rather simple actually.

Every 15 levels you get to choose a new talent.
Pick one from the three choices offered.
c
I like the new talent system. Besides, a bunch of the old talents and spells are now passive, innate abilities. You don't even have to think about them.
08/31/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Maebd
I like the new talent system. Besides, a bunch of the old talents and spells are now passive, innate abilities. You don't even have to think about them.

You're on the right track. I think Ghostcrawler said it best in his recent interview with buffed.de:

We really believe in the principle of 'simple to learn, hard to master' -- by which we mean that we like the rules to be pretty easy to understand and then have a lot of depth behind the scenes and a lot of ways for players to consider 'Oh, I can use this talent in this situation and this ability here'. So they can explore that and demonstrate mastery of their class in that way. We don't think it's the right design to have very complicated rules that players struggle to understand. And the truth is that most of our players didn't experiment a lot with the talent trees anyway. They would just go online to check or ask their friends which talents they should choose. So it was hard to learn and easy to master which is kind of the worst game design to have.

Check out the rest of the interview when you get a chance.
Things being passive isn't inherently good.

For example, my blood dk has blood worms passive, which trigger mechanics that normally wouldn't when solo, preventing me from soloing older content like Tempest Keep. Since it's baseline, I can't not spec into it.
You're on the right track. I think Ghostcrawler said it best in his recent interview with buffed.de:

Most definately! I just learned that as a warlock with the Demon Hunting glyph I can outank both paladins and warriors!

The only question remains: Why can't I que as a tank? :p