6.1 Fire Mage PvE Guide

Mage
Prev 1 5 6 7 15 Next
Finally got around to correcting some of the AoE dps section, added a stream for mages to watch, and added the correct enchants. Also, please "sticky" the new Frost Mage PvE guide on these forums: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7006240950

Hello, I have a doubt about ignite stacking..

what is the best way to stack ignite as on current patch?

I've been doing the following: when a pyro proc, I dont cast it instantly.. I cast a fireball followed by the instant Pyro, on queue system.. This makes my ignites hit harder, as I noticed after some tests..

anyone doing the same? anyone have other ideas for this topic?

Since the Ignites stack, I don't think it makes a difference, though I wouldn't wait on that proc. I might of misunderstood what you typed as well.
Also, Askmrrobot takes expertise into account now. Thanks for the writeup Coop.
What's wrong with Cold Snap? It has a 30% heal on it plus it takes away CDs on spells that can get you out of a rough situation. It's like cauterize but you don't go back down to 10% health afterwards and you get CDs reset.
11/09/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Brisholine
What's wrong with Cold Snap? It has a 30% heal on it plus it takes away CDs on spells that can get you out of a rough situation. It's like cauterize but you don't go back down to 10% health afterwards and you get CDs reset.

There's mainly two reasons for this. One, Cold Snap has 1 minute longer on its CD than the debuff from Cauterize lasts for; you're free to die every 2 minutes, and are brought back to full health, though you take some of your health away after that, and using either Ice Barrier, Ice Block, or Temporal Shield should make it fine. Two, being able to "die" in a situation, I feel, provides more leeway than a 30% heal does. I'd only pick Coldsnap if you need two quick Iceblocks, but even then you have to deal with the Hypothermia debuff.

If you're able to pull it off, then Cauterize could even be used as an offensive ability. For example, you could choose to stand in an ice trap or amethyst pool on Stone Guards every 2 minutes, and if you time it with one of your shields, you'll be fine and yield more damage.
11/09/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Coopthefat

There's mainly two reasons for this. One, Cold Snap has 1 minute longer on its CD than the debuff from Cauterize lasts for; you're free to die every 2 minutes, and are brought back to full health, though you take some of your health away after that, and using either Ice Barrier, Ice Block, or Temporal Shield should make it fine. Two, being able to "die" in a situation, I feel, provides more leeway than a 30% heal does. I'd only pick Coldsnap if you need two quick Iceblocks, but even then you have to deal with the Hypothermia debuff.

If you're able to pull it off, then Cauterize could even be used as an offensive ability. For example, you could choose to stand in an ice trap or amethyst pool on Stone Guards every 2 minutes, and if you time it with one of your shields, you'll be fine and yield more damage.

Brings you to 50%, ticks away 40% of it.

I don't understand how using a bubble to eat a Cauterize would somehow be better than just bubbling and waiting for a heal. Then you still have your cooldown and didn't waste a shield.
11/13/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Mageski
don't understand how using a bubble to eat a Cauterize would somehow be better than just bubbling and waiting for a heal. Then you still have your cooldown and didn't waste a shield.

Alright, 50%. What you said makes more sense than what I said, didin't think of it like that to be honest. But Cauterize is still nice to have, just in case the damage ends up going past 0% health.
09/04/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Coopthefat
You receive one stack of Heating Up after obtaining one crit, and obtaining another crit in a row will add a new Heating Up stack, converting the first one into a Pyroblast! proc. If you get a third crit in a row, the same thing happens, except the Pyroblast! proc is overwritten, meaning you lose one proc.

This is actually incorrect. The Heating Up and Pyroblast! buffs are separate buffs that do not overwrite each other. So, if you get three crits in a row, you'll have both a Pyroblast! buff and a Heating Up buff on you.

I'm also confused on the purpose of 6 in the single target rotation. Heating up doesn't give anything that can be used; it lets you know your next crit gives you Pyroblast!.

Also, a little tip: Since Alter Time will give you back Presence of Mind when it fades or is canceled, you can throw out four Pyroblasts out (or more, depending on crits) every three minutes if you go in with the Pyroblast! buff on you.

Blue Socket Gems:

Rigid River's Heart if you need help reaching the Hit cap, otherwise use Piercing Wild Jade.

Intellect- Our best stat. Period. Intellect increases the amount of Spell Power we have, which in turn makes our spells hit harder, and converts marginally into Spell Critical Hit (ie. Crit). This stat should be sought out whenever possible for gems, enchants, etc. It is a primarty stat and cannot be reforged.

I'm curious; why would you not use Perfect Veiled Roguestone? Intellect is our best stat afterall. I am not trying to be a troll, far from it. But the Piercing Wild Jade gives no intellect at all, even if the int the gem gives is marginal, wouldn't the spell power the int gives help out as well?

But this is a very well thought out guide. Sticky requested. I hope to refer back to this when they screw up mages so I will know what to do!! :D
I'm curious; why would you not use Perfect Veiled Roguestone? Intellect is our best stat afterall. I am not trying to be a troll, far from it. But the Piercing Wild Jade gives no intellect at all, even if the int the gem gives is marginal, wouldn't the spell power the int gives help out as well?

The reason is because 2 Crit is better than 1 Intellect, and since gems now give double the amount of secondary stats, the Piercing Wild Jade is superior gem is superior. I'll point that out in the gemming section. If gems didin't give out double the amount of secondary stats, we'd probably be close to using the same gems we did in Cataclysm. Also, when you run Simcraft tests for stat-weights, the amount of Crit and Spellpower that Intellect provide are accounted for in the simulations equations.

This is actually incorrect. The Heating Up and Pyroblast! buffs are separate buffs that do not overwrite each other. So, if you get three crits in a row, you'll have both a Pyroblast! buff and a Heating Up buff on you.I'm also confused on the purpose of 6 in the single target rotation. Heating up doesn't give anything that can be used; it lets you know your next crit gives you Pyroblast!.

The buffs are separated from each other, but from what I understand, if you have 1 Pyroblast buff and 1 Heating Up Buff, and you crit again, you don't gain another Pyroblast and you lose the Heating Up buff. I can change the wording, since Heating Up doesn't really "convert" into Pyroblast!.

EDIT: On the other hand, I understand what you're saying. For some reason I was under the impression that one of the buffs could stack, which of course is incorrect. Fixed the Single-Target Rotation section, I'm surprised no one has pointed this out after almost two months.

As for Presence of Mind, I can see its usefulness on occasion, but with the majority of fights in T14, especially on Heroic mode, there's simply too much movement to forego picking Scorch.
@OP: First of all, very nice guide. Might I suggest you put some details in your Gemming section that explain why we are no longer using INT gems at all? In the past it's been kind of hard-coded into our brains that "INT IS #1 ALWAYS," and we should only match socket bonuses if it was a high INT bonus (otherwise use Pure INT).

After reading through your gemming section, much to my surprise, this is no longer the case. I'm not asking for a math lesson and a page of theorycrafting, but just something of an explaination, since these new gemming rules are so far from the norm.
@OP: First of all, very nice guide. Might I suggest you put some details in your Gemming section that explain why we are no longer using INT gems at all? In the past it's been kind of hard-coded into our brains that "INT IS #1 ALWAYS," and we should only match socket bonuses if it was a high INT bonus (otherwise use Pure INT).

After reading through your gemming section, much to my surprise, this is no longer the case. I'm not asking for a math lesson and a page of theorycrafting, but just something of an explaination, since these new gemming rules are so far from the norm.

It's my fault for not updating the gemming section. It's updated now.

The reason our gems changed is because there's double the amount of secondary stats on each gem. So, I would still say that Intellect, in absolute terms, is best, but just because we can get double the Crit, it turns out that 2 Crit is stronger than 1 Intellect. If we had the same gems as we had in Cata, ie. equal amounts of each stat, we would follow the same gemming strategy we followed in Cata.
thank you for this guide.

i think Greater Invisibility become handy when everyone got KO'ed and all the mobs are after you,then mass res- and get everyone back. also when fighting with a warlock. it is almost like the rogue Vanish but with time limit.
Time for the 5.1 Update!

So overall, if anything, we probably got a slight unintentional buff. The majority of changes are either PvP-oriented, or only affect us in a few situations in raids. I'll start it off with the biggest change for us.

Combustion's periodic damage is based solely on the current Ignite DoT, instead of Ignite and the Pyroblast DoT. Theoretically, this change was supposed to make Combustion the same level as before in terms of damage, but based on some WoL parses, it seems it was an unintentional buff to Combustion. Mainly, it's even more important now to obtain strong Ignites. But since it was always best to line Combustion with Pyroblasts, this change doesn't affect when we use Combustion, albeit maybe just a bit more RNG to time.

The CD of Ring of Frost was increased by 15 seconds, so the overall CD is 45 seconds, and RoF can only freeze up to 10 enemies at once. This doesn't really affect us other than dungeons/trash and possibly Will of the Emperor if you're assigned to chain-CC the rages.

Rune of Power no longer has a CD, and the UI shows its duration. Pretty straightforward.

Frost Bomb detonates after 6 seconds instead of 5 seconds. The overall CD on Frost Bomb is the same, so I don't really see how it affects our damage, if at all, other than the bomb going off slightly later. It'd only be worse if a mob or group of mobs dies right before the bomb goes off, but that's a minor detail.

Damage absorbed by Ice Barrier is reduced by 25%. This doesn't change when we use the talent, simply that it mitigates less damage than before.

Mage Armor reduces duration of harmful effects by 25% instead of 35%. We never use Mage Armor for raiding, so this doesn't affect Fire Mages.

Blazing Speed can now be triggered off any damage. This makes the talent slightly easier to use, but doesn't change what situations we would choose this talent for.

EDIT: Combustion nerfed by 50% in a hotfix, Critical Mass was nerfed as well from 1.5 to 1.25.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7922045/Patch_51_Hotfixes

Mage

Fire
The periodic damage from Combustion has been reduced by 50%.
The critical strike chance multiplier from Critical Mass has been reduced to 1.25 (was 1.5).
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7922045/Patch_51_Hotfixes

Mage

Fire
The periodic damage from Combustion has been reduced by 50%.
The critical strike chance multiplier from Critical Mass has been reduced to 1.25 (was 1.5).

Thanks for catching those hotfixes, slipped by me.
Go ahead and add *As of patch 5.1 hotfixes fire is no longer the optimal spec. This may change at a later time, however, but please refer to (frost and arcane spec links.)* to the top of your guide.
My DPS got seriously screwed in LFR today.

I really believe Fire is not an option anymore with these nerfs. Will wait a while, but I am seriously considering going Frost, even though I don't lke it.

What really gets me angry is that they did all these changes to try and fix PVP... Really, having PVP intefering with my PVE is so annoying.
Scumbag devs nerf Fire spec 1 day after I reforge and regem everything from Frost to Fire.

Serious attitude face now: I'm going to wait on more data until we see the extent of the nerf, and see whether Frost or Arcane is more viable, and wait for Simcraft to update with the hotfixes and 5.1 changes. Also, with hotfixes happening that quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if they put in another one for Fire, one reason I'm a waiting a bit longer before making any decisions.

One of the other two specs could be better right now, but Frost won't scale nearly as well with gear later on. Frost can already reach the 50% GCD Haste cap, which affects all spells in their single-target priority system except for Frostbolt when under Bloodlust/Timewarp/Heroism.

I know that Arcane was buffed, but I don't know to what extent, and movement hurts them the most. Sure they can Scorch on the move and get AM procs, but those procs can't actually be used while moving, whereas in Frost you can use FoF Icelance and Brainfreeze-FFB from your DoTs, and Fire can use Pyroblast! from Scorch crits.
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/realistic-dps