Failed to download a required update....

Technical Support
Deleting the data directory did the trick for me.
On 64 bit Windows 7 the folder to move or delete is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Data
The reconfiguring never went above 0% but I watched the new data folder build AND it has proceeded to the update. That is running now.
I found the solution on another thread. I don't know why this works but it worked for me and many others.

Simply move your "data" folder to your desktop and start the download.

Apparently there is something in the folder that chokes the optimizer. Again no idea why but after trying the 20 different solutions that failed, this worked and I'm playing again!

I can't believe my eyes. Out of everything complex and rocket scientific attempts at finding a solution for the past week ina half... this.. THIS was the solution. I am finally on the download bar... which I've never been at.. we'll see where this goes.
Hopefully it can make it to playable. *knocks on wood*
I'm too old for this !@#$!

...Heh. Anyway. I'm still kinda hanging out at 1%. I've tried everything suggested above. How whack is all this?!
I'm too old for this !@#$!

...Heh. Anyway. I'm still kinda hanging out at 1%. I've tried everything suggested above. How whack is all this?!
Oh man. Now I wanna watch Lethal Weapon again!
I fixed this with a combination of the above. Here are the steps I took.

1. Open your WoW folder and launch the BackgroundDownloader .exe file. Go into the preferences and click the box next to don't throttle. My download was a little over 6 GB.

2. Once that is done, click finish.

3. Go into your WoW\Updates folder. Look for the most recent file that ends in the extension of MPQ. You may have to turn on view details to see the date/time stamp and you may have to go into your folder options to uncheck that option to hide file extensions.

4. Copy that file MPQ file to your root WoW folder.

5. Rename the file to wow-patch.mpq

6. Run the Blizzard Updater.exe file and let it go through the motions.

After the above 6 steps (over a two-hour trial and error period), WoW successfully launched and began playing the Mists cinematic. Unfortunately, I finished the process over a remote connection from work to home, so I didn't get to watch the cinematic. I'll have to check it out when I get home. I hit ESC and was able to log in to WoW at that point.

Cheers,
Mahnzee
09/03/2012 08:25 PMPosted by Guarapo
This works and actually you can just outright delete the "Data" folder all together.

I just format my PC last night. I have the same problem as everyone here. I tried most of the solutions on this forum but non works til I saw this post. After I deleted the "Data" folder, everything works fine from 0% to 60% in 10mins.
GOING ON TWO DAY TRYING TO FIX THIS THE PEEPS AT BLIZZ SAID IT WAS MY ROUTER SO I CALLED THEM AND THEY HELPED ME OPEN PORTS AND THAT STILL DIDNT HELP SO IM REINSTALLING THIS IS BS
this is complete BS

been stuck trying to get this to work for 2 days

did they even test this before releasing?????
DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR AND REINSTALL UR GAME, BLIZZ SAUD THIS BYPASSES THE OPTIMIAZTION PROCESS AND SO FAR IM DL JUST FINE
Toddlers, stop bumping. We are looking for an answer, not winy babies.
They had me delete my battle.net folder under program files and its starting to download for me. Might wanna try this.
Following the advice in this thread, I just renamed my "Data" folder to "Dat" (a lot quicker than moving or deleting, for me), and now the "Optimization" seems to be proceeding as it should. It also built a new "Data" folder.
I figured it out I think

I haven't played in a while and for whatever reason my background downloader didn't download the 4.3-5.04 patch, so I had to go to my WoW folder, then click background downloader.

Now background downloader says it will take 200+ hours to download, so I had to click "don't throttle" under view/preferences and it sped right up.

Once I download those patches and have them in my WoW folder, I think it will go right through, but I will keep ya updated.

thanks this helped sooo much
Hey everybody! Try deleting the Cache folder by going to your Hard Drive, Program Files x86, World of Warcraft, drag the Cache folder into the Recycle Bin, empty the recycle bin. I'm at 58% now! Hope this helps!
Moving the data folder to the desktop worked for me and my wife. it was the only way it would work on either computer.
Same issue here. I removed my Data folder and then tried Mahnzee's steps, which for some reason corrupted my install and the launcher wouldn't even run at that point. Downloading the game client and re-installing did the trick for me.

It was like some martial arts Panda master came down and cleaned out the joint. Woohoo!
Worked for me too! At 20% now. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
All I had to do was find this one forum and I could've enjoyed my day off as apposed to calling Blizz like 4 times and being told to uninstall my antivirus and a list of other things. Definitely move that "Data" folder!