Ask Creative Development — Round III Answers

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 24 Next
And.. lol@Elune.

Once again, great way to spit in the face if current night elf fans.

Oh, Trolls get the same treatment.

At some point Blizzard does have to consolidate their lore. It's not really believable that every mortal-made religion is completely accurate. Loa and Ancient spirits are just spirits, Light spirits are Naaru, etc.

Elune is still a unique entity that could likely take form should "she" so desire. Elune is also a unique individual. But until the game explores her actual nature, Velen's idea is as good as any.

It doesn't really matter. After all, both Draenei and Night Elves are a part of the "Kalimdor Alliance", no? Giving them some thematic cohesion is a good thing.

Haha ad Me'dan just up and running off to another planet though. Guess we'll never see him again. The son is the father in all but quality.
As for the idea that the newly risen do everything the Forsaken want them to do, that's blatently false. The answer even states that only some newly undead are in this state, and that this state is, ultimately, temporary.

If that were the case why don't we see any who immediately reject the Forsaken upon being raised? We see a 100% "attack the other guys" success rate. Even if they're given a choice later the damage has already been done. They were still forced to attack their friends and family against their will. They did not give consent, they did not have agency. This is no different from the Scourge.
So is Bashiok actually interacting with the Story Forum now or are we just getting the post from him in absence of a certain former Story Forum rep?
... sorry Velen, but all it takes is one look at Cenarius and how he's NOT some neon cubist Christmas fever dream to know with 100% certainty that his mother was NOT a Naaru. If he was half-deer, half-wind chime then maybe, but the nature of Elune just ISN'T as unknown or as abstract as that line of thought would demand.

That notion is just plain silly.

Until you realize that Cenarius's birth wasn't likely a biological one, but a holy one. I mean, Elune's light is still The Light after all.

The real question is who came first: Were Night Elves modelled after Cenarius and his ilk, or was it the other way around?
With how hard they're beating the drum that things are not omniscient with two stated as exactly that (Wrathion and Amun'thul), two more indirectly stated by conclusion (Old Gods thinking that corrupting an Aspect being a foolproof plan and Cenarius' original opinion of orcs), one being a knowing lie (Maiev about wiping out races), and anotherlogically concluded (Future Nozdormu as Murozond trying something and failing), and the fact that all the answers stated are very direct except for one, which was punted back to "oh we gave you our final answer last time", when that wasn't an explicit answer:

Why is anyone concluding that Velen is absolutely correct? Sure, he's got thousands of years of evidence and consideration... but so does everything else priorly listed except Wrathion, and they were all wrong!

Honestly, obvious nonanswer seems pretty obvious to me.
09/05/2012 11:47 AMPosted by Lorinall
So is Bashiok actually interacting with the Story Forum now or are we just getting the post from him in absence of a certain former Story Forum rep?

They're just putting up the answers. Besides this, they'll rarely pop in here, if ever, specially since the Dev we got was shoo'd off soon after he dropped by.

Yeah they're watching, if that's what you mean to ask, tho.
Rofl at Night Elf bum-hurt.

You know what's great?

Being a goblin.

Info was good on here. Love to see this stuff. CDev is my friend.

You mean having no serious part in the lore, and being thought of as a fourth-wall breaking joke-race?

Sure, I guess.
CENARIUS IS NOT AN "ALLIANCE FIGURE". HE DID NOT "GO NEUTRAL". HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN NEUTRAL. STOP IT. STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP.

Edit: This is mostly in response to stuff I've been seeing elsewhere. Sorry for the lack of context.
... sorry Velen, but all it takes is one look at Cenarius and how he's NOT some neon cubist Christmas fever dream to know with 100% certainty that his mother was NOT a Naaru. If he was half-deer, half-wind chime then maybe, but the nature of Elune just ISN'T as unknown or as abstract as that line of thought would demand.

That notion is just plain silly.

Until you realize that Cenarius's birth wasn't likely a biological one, but a holy one. I mean, Elune's light is still The Light after all.

The real question is who came first: Were Night Elves modelled after Cenarius and his ilk, or was it the other way around?

... except for the fact that Cenarius clearly represents his parentage in terms of his father. Biological, spiritual, holy, or what, that Night Elven torso had to come from SOMEWHERE, and it wasn't Malorne. Also, demi-god or not, Cenarius himself is by far and wide a largely biological being, as are all his many, many descendents.

Elune's Light and "The Light" aren't one and the same either - All direct "Moon" spells have always been Arcane energy, not Holy. Directly invoking Elune's power as seen time and time and time again, most clearly in Tyrande, proves this beyond any shadow of a doubt. They're two completely separate things and two completely separate powers. Even on a "spiritual" level, link Elune to the Naaru doesn't add up.

While I can appreciate Velen's attempts at trying to find common ground with his new allies, on this matter, I have to side with Tyrande. I might not like her, but here, Velen's just not even approaching anything that makes sense.

Now, the ORIGINS of Elune are another matter completely, and one I'll agree is a very good question to ask, and also ties in deeply with the origins of the Night Elves themselves. As fond as I am of Brann (psnerk), I have to take his theories with a grain of salt.
Q: Is there truly an Old God underneath the Tirisfal Glade?
A: Nope! There’s something incredibly unsettling there, but it’s not an Old God. It isn’t recommended to go digging through the Glades, though.

......... DAG IT! Now you got me infuriatingly curious! D:
There had better be answers as to what that 'incredibly unsettling' thing is at some point!

You know what... forget it *grabs pick and shovel* I'm goin' on a dig! And there's nothin' you can do to stop me!
09/05/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Vyrin
And we don't know that Sylvanas would've immediately rebelled; apparently undead upon being raised DON'T immediately rebel and do exactly what the people who raised them want even without mind control. So why did the Scourge employ mind control?

Sylvanas made it pretty clear she was unhappy with the arrangement soon after being turned into a banshee. Whether she would rebel or not isn't really a question; it's pretty obvious she would.
Q: Is there truly an Old God underneath the Tirisfal Glade?
A: Nope! There’s something incredibly unsettling there, but it’s not an Old God. It isn’t recommended to go digging through the Glades, though.

But if not an Old God...whats whispering to lost blood elves and where then is the Puzzlebox pointing me when it mentions woods and black forests?

That does it...I'm gettin' the shovel.

LFM Tirisfal Glades raid...
But if not an Old God...whats whispering to lost blood elves and where then is the Puzzlebox pointing me when it mentions woods and black forests.

That does it...I'm gettin' the shovel. LFM Tirisfal Glades raid...

I'll tank for you!
Don't worry about my faction credentials.... I'm with the Cenarion Circle! >.>
Liked the bit about the Druids and Harvest Witches. That was pretty cool.
Not many answers and Elune being tied to the light is -weak-. (as is the Cenarius explanation, I mean did he miss Ashenvale in Vanilla?)
This pleases me
But if not an Old God...whats whispering to lost blood elves and where then is the Puzzlebox pointing me when it mentions woods and black forests.

That does it...I'm gettin' the shovel. LFM Tirisfal Glades raid...

I'll tank for you!
Don't worry about my faction credentials.... I'm with the Cenarion Circle! >.>

I'm willing to put my Royal Apothecary Society leanings aside to help you two on this.

Or I can borrow one of their ettins.

And he can help us.

Yessss.
I think the one thing Blizzard did wrong with this is not include some sort of FAQ regarding Q&As, because the same complaints come up time and again:
  • 1) If they didn't answer a question, they probably aren't ready to do so.
  • 2) Of course lore responses contain a bit of vagueness - it's the one aspect of the game that benefits greatly from mystique.
  • 3) Answering one "obvious question" doesn't mean you lost one "meaningful question" - if they hadn't answered it, there would simply be one less answer.