MoP almost didn't happen

Moon Guard

How do Worgen not fit into the alliance, and how are they pointless as a playable race?

I never said they didn't fit. They fit as Gilneans, but Blizzard only made them Worgen just so they would be different. Now, it would be stupid to have a second human race as a playable race. That's why they made Gilneans worgen, just to add variety. Lorewise, they being Worgen is just unnecessary, and just there to fill a slot, rather than fit in with the entire expansion.

How is something necessary or 'unnecessary' lorewise? That seems a bit silly to me. Isn't lore about creating something that's different and interesting. Is the fact that a nation that was previously embroiled in civility cursed with something that made them somewhat savage not -interesting-, to say the least? Or at the very least, it's different.

Edit:

I'm also unsure if there's any unified 'theme' of cataclysm. Hence there's nothing to really 'fit into', so to say. The fact that Worgen aren't more active in the story is not because they -can't- be, but because blizzard is lazy with'em.
09/02/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Gulbon
I never said they didn't fit. They fit as Gilneans, but Blizzard only made them Worgen just so they would be different. Now, it would be stupid to have a second human race as a playable race. That's why they made Gilneans worgen, just to add variety. Lorewise, they being Worgen is just unnecessary, and just there to fill a slot, rather than fit in with the entire expansion.

And this only really happened because Blizzard failed to actually incorporate them into the storyline of Cataclysm as was originally planned.

Gilneans as Worgen made a lot of sense, there was always the rumor that Gilneas was either anhilated by Naga/Trolls/Scourge or Worgen ran rampant. Blizzard knew players wanted Worgen and a beastial race on the Alliance so they were implemented. The only issue here is unlike the Blood Elves (and dare I say) and Draenei, they had little to no exposure past 1-16 for Alliance. Sure the Draenei and Blood Elves suddenly got very quiet until BC, but at least their storylines picked up and you saw more of them(Though it's unfortunate the expansion ended on a high note for the worst Elves ever and the Holy Space Goats had nothing). Blizzard missed an opportunity to cause pure mayhem and controversy that could have happened and should have.

A race that surged in growth through it's ability to turn others? We have our anti-Forsaken. Especially since Worgen are immune to Val'kyr. We saw a slight hint of what could have caused a poo hurricane within the Alliance, what if the Forsaken pressed further into Alliance territory? Citizens, Soldiers, High Ranking officials... What if some of them out of fear forced themselves to be bit or drank blood? What if Varian had a Light Yagami moment and abused the Worgen potential by turning a few squads of soldiers into Worgen and sending them on suicide missions?

There was so much that could have been used to make Worgen the "dark race" the Alliance was supposed to get when Cata was first revealed.

I'm done ranting.
09/02/2012 08:45 PMPosted by Vulpe

And this only really happened because Blizzard failed to actually incorporate them into the storyline of Cataclysm as was originally planned.

Gilneans as Worgen made a lot of sense, there was always the rumor that Gilneas was either anhilated by Naga/Trolls/Scourge or Worgen ran rampant. Blizzard knew players wanted Worgen and a beastial race on the Alliance so they were implemented. The only issue here is unlike the Blood Elves (and dare I say) and Draenei, they had little to no exposure past 1-16 for Alliance. Sure the Draenei and Blood Elves suddenly got very quiet until BC, but at least their storylines picked up and you saw more of them(Though it's unfortunate the expansion ended on a high note for the worst Elves ever and the Holy Space Goats had nothing). Blizzard missed an opportunity to cause pure mayhem and controversy that could have happened and should have.

A race that surged in growth through it's ability to turn others? We have our anti-Forsaken. Especially since Worgen are immune to Val'kyr. We saw a slight hint of what could have caused a poo hurricane within the Alliance, what if the Forsaken pressed further into Alliance territory? Citizens, Soldiers, High Ranking officials... What if some of them out of fear forced themselves to be bit or drank blood? What if Varian had a Light Yagami moment and abused the Worgen potential by turning a few squads of soldiers into Worgen and sending them on suicide missions?

There was so much that could have been used to make Worgen the "dark race" the Alliance was supposed to get when Cata was first revealed.

I'm done ranting.

YEAH. GO WORGEN.
Yeah, at this point there is no room for a South Seas expansion. Unless they move all the continents further away from each other.
I like the almost all new lore stance they took with MoP. Exploring Pandaria oughta be really cool.
09/02/2012 08:54 PMPosted by Vorien
Yeah, at this point there is no room for a South Seas expansion. Unless they move all the continents further away from each other.

I'm sure they could, nothing stopping them from making the ocean between EK and Kalimdor a bit larger
Truth. Nothing is stopping Azeroth from growing a bit and then suddenly "New continent? How?" "Titans hid it because they foresaw you'd screw everything up again." Or something.
09/02/2012 09:08 PMPosted by Vicara

I'm sure they could, nothing stopping them from making the ocean between EK and Kalimdor a bit larger

Yeah they could. But them sinking, or just removing, the other islands on the map there makes me wonder if there will be a South Seas expansion. I hope there is, or at least Kul Tiras added in, still loyal to the alliance and mostly intact.
09/02/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Vorien

Yeah they could. But them sinking, or just removing, the other islands on the map there makes me wonder if there will be a South Seas expansion. I hope there is, or at least Kul Tiras added in, still loyal to the alliance and mostly intact.

Nope, neutral party that allows Garrosh to have his choice of the women and children once a day, along with giving Sylvanas free dead bodies to Forsaken-afy.
As far as Worgen go, I'm just bothered that they went from industrial, dapper, noble, overwhelmingly proud humans to "Rawr, I'm a feral worgen!" that most you see are.

That and the contradictory lore brought forth from the poorly co-ordinated writing from the comics.

This too. Wolfheart depicted them as savages and there summation on Gilnean culture was:

"LOL WORGEN ARE MAD AND GOOD AT FIGHTING"
Could you imagine dapper Wolfmen and Wolfladies firing Gatling guns at wave after wave of Forsaken while enjoying a fine tea and fresh pumpkin cakes talking about the fine rainy weather they've had?

All of my want.

This too. Wolfheart depicted them as savages and there summation on Gilnean culture was:

"LOL WORGEN ARE MAD AND GOOD AT FIGHTING"

And in the comic they were described as people who have to focus on shifting at all, who were pretty much the same as they were before except now you don't want to piss them off or they'd turn into a werewolf with all their sanity and mannerisms still attached.

Oh blizz and your lore.

Urgh, exactly. I just really want more on Gilnean culture, personally. It feels like what we have on -what- Gilneas as a nation is, is just so underwhelming. It can easily be compiled in about two pages, which is why I see a lot of Gilnean roleplayers that have so vastly different interpretations of what Gilneas -is-.

There are certainly a lot of 'influences' we see, but it's not lore. And we need some lore. A nonexistent nation like Kul Tiras probably has more lore than Gilneas does.
Yeah, we seem to be getting a lot of Worgen druid lore, and no Gilnean lore. I like Gilnean lore a lot more than Worgen lore. Also, why would all Gilneans decide to change their way of life to what the Night Elves'? I mean, they're complete opposites. I would also like to see the smug Gilneans we saw during the second war, and a smug Gen, instead of the current Gen. Don't get me wrong, the current Gen is a good character, but he is just not at all the same person he was back during the second war.
Having your nation at war with itself, then going through a famine, then having your undead neighbors flood in all while you deal with your sons and daughters turning into beasts will change a man.

Especially when his son is killed infront of his eyes.

Genn also was more or less forced to change. In the comics he had to consult Belysra several times because his emotions were making his human form unstable, if he kept being Genn from early Warcraft he would have turned his home into a slaughterhouse many times over after being bit.
I've said this many times before. The whole idea of the Gilnean people specifically embracing druidism and their feral natures almost immediately contrary to generations upon generations of industrialism and a more refined culture feels like a giant cop-out to try and not include them into significant Alliance developments, because LOL NATURE. In fact, the entire idea of Druidism feels like a cop-out in general, especially when its supposed "neutrality" falls flat on its face when faced against the Horde and the Forsaken mucking up the natural order for their own selfish ends.

I have always wanted a race of refined, industrialized people that give their enemies a smarmy Simon Cowell-esque verbal thrashing of everything from their manhoods to their adequacy in combat and in bed, while giving them a physical beatdown in their feral forms, making snide remarks about their predicament.

I never wanted wolf elves.

EDIT: Essentially, I wantged a race of Beast from X-Men, not furry Night Elves.
Simon Cowell is babby tier.

Gordon Ramsay is what they should have been in attitude.
I've said this many times before. The whole idea of the Gilnean people specifically embracing druidism and their feral natures almost immediately contrary to generations upon generations of industrialism and a more refined culture feels like a giant cop-out to try and not include them into significant Alliance developments, because LOL NATURE. In fact, the entire idea of Druidism feels like a cop-out in general, especially when its supposed "neutrality" falls flat on its face when faced against the Horde and the Forsaken mucking up the natural order for their own selfish ends.

I have always wanted a race of refined, industrialized people that give their enemies a smarmy Simon Cowell-esque verbal thrashing of everything from their manhoods to their adequacy in combat and in bed, while giving them a physical beatdown in their feral forms, making snide remarks about their predicament.

I never wanted wolf elves.

EDIT: Essentially, I wantged a race of Beast from X-Men, not furry Night Elves.

I agree that the cultural revolution that's occuring in Gilnean culture still feels rather contrived. But there most certainly -was- an Order of Gilnean druids. In fact, Celestine referred to herself as a druid. That being said, I'd doubt even the druids of gilneas would automatically accept elvish druidism. Those whom did it were likely an oddity, not something that represents the main part of Gilnean society.

They are in many ways a very independent nation that strives towards autonomy. Them becoming so automatically attracted to another culture as an entire people goes against what Gilneas is.
09/02/2012 08:23 PMPosted by Gulbon
Let's face it, Azeroth as seen on the map is running out of areas to make expansions in.

We still have the Alliance and Horde. Why not make an expansion based entirely around their conflict rather than "X is threatening our very existence, we must band together"? That would be far more interesting than Sha and Pandas. You don't have to create some new and exciting world when you have so much potential to develop Azeroth.

They've done a little bit of it with Garrosh, but I want to see a full-on Horde vs Alliance expansion.