Special characters in names?

Customer Support
Are special characters or alt codes in names allowed now?
They used to never be allowed, then were allowed for a while, then supposedly were going to be disallowed again around patch 4.3, but I find no official word in any patch notes and not even in the official Naming Policy:
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy

If they are allowed, then which ones are allowed?
They changed their mind, due to player feedback, for the 4.3 change. They are allowed.
09/05/2012 10:13 AMPosted by Madisón
They changed their mind, due to player feedback, for the 4.3 change. They are allowed.

^^ This, although I will add a caveat. I don't personally recommend names with High Ascii characters.

A great deal of an MMO is about talking to others, dealing with others, getting invited to groups, etc.

Those characters can sometimes prove troublesome to others when trying to contact or invite you to guilds or groups.
No list of which characters are or are not allowed?
If you can type it in to the name creation field and it accepts it, it is allowed. That is, unless the name itself violates one of the other naming rules.

That said, I recommend against it.

From what I've noticed, if a character isn't allowed, the character name box will just show a "?" when you type in the alt code. Basically, if it's a letter with some sort of marking over it (accent, umlaut, stress mark, etc.), it's fine.
09/05/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Pixystix

From what I've noticed, if a character isn't allowed, the character name box will just show a "?" when you type in the alt code. Basically, if it's a letter with some sort of marking over it (accent, umlaut, stress mark, etc.), it's fine.

You'll also get errors about only being allowed to use appropriate characters.

They needed to allows accents when they added the Official LA support.
Those characters can sometimes prove troublesome to others when trying to contact or invite you to guilds or groups.

Necro (Perhaps a bit): This problem would have easily been fixed if the simple ability to copy and paste were available in the default chat client.
09/05/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Orlyia

Does this mean you get ignored by those screamingly frustrating macros that force you to join guilds, or do they go by the unguilded property of your character?