Season Length

Arenas
1 2 3 5 Next
The current length of arena seasons are way too long and promotes the game to be completely stale in arena for any mid-higher ranged playeers.

For example this season started in december, in the first 3-4 weeks EVERYONE was spamming arena for the higher pt caps and pushing ratings. IT WAS GREAT!!!! But after those first few weeks the higher rated teams sat on their teams in fear of losing their spots on the ladder.

This trend continued for until the 2 week announcement before the ladders got busy again with ppl spamming the q's to earn their spots.

This is just not acceptable and super boring for the ppl who like to q a lot at the higher ratings, I am so tired of sitting 10-15m que times at a mediocre 2200+ mmr because every decent rated team is sitting for 7-8 months.

Suggestion-

This has been suggested numerous times and I really see NO REASON why it shouldn't be happening. MAKE EVERY SEASON LAST 1-2 MONTHS!!! This would keep ppl playing constantly, which promotes a very active arena community at ALL LEVELS!! And just keep the same gear set, believe me non of the higher rated players care that we would be building on the same set for multiple seasons.

Perfect example of suggestion in action.

Season 12 started early December with the Cataclysmic Gladiator's Sets. Season 12 should end mid January or early February with season 13 starting at the end of February still using the Cataclysmic Gladiator's sets. Season 13 would end mid Mid April or the end of April with season 14 starting early May still using the Cataclysmic Gladiator's sets and so on. Obviously the time frame of seasons could easily be tweaked but you get the point, make arena seasons shorter and keep the same gear sets (so not much more work for the devs) to promote a much more active arena community on all levels of the brackets.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Edit-

This thread also goes along with the same idea.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489780879
09/05/2012 10:31 PMPosted by Guinthel
There are zounds of problems with this game that need to be given priority over this idea.

keep this on topic.. there are plenty of issues but plz post them somewhere else
s9 - 26 weeks
s10 - 21 weeks
s11 - 38 weeks - last season of cata

s8 - 37 weeks - last season of wotlk
s4 - 17 weeks - last season of BC

also,

09/05/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Covlolz
MAKE EVERY SEASON LAST 1-2 MONTHS!!

ruins the value of achievements
s9 - 26 weeks
s10 - 21 weeks
s11 - 38 weeks

s8 - 37 weeks
s4 - 17 weeks

great post, this absolutely atrocious, 17 weeks is a good amount, (honestly even a bit too long now imo) but 38 weeks is just too long

in those 38 weeks i can tell u right now that at higher ratings only 8-10 weeks of the season were actually active, and im estimating up to be perfectly honest.
I agree with this, if I had constant queues of arena I'd be way more interested in this game. As of right now it just gets stale end of season because of how lackluster the game feels, the gear can stay the same during the new seasons even. As long as the competition can't sit on a rating. Have weekly decay as well if a team doesnt play.
I agree with this gentlemen and scholar!
Lol 38 weeks is just too much it really should be about 3 months
09/05/2012 10:55 PMPosted by Amiracle
Lol 38 weeks is just too much it really should be about 3 months

im seriously starting to think that 3 months would be the sweet spot for season lengths. plus just like i said keep the same gear sets until next major patch that releases new raid gear.

this way nothing new is needing to be added other then names for the R1 titles, but that is not hard and believe me the community will respond with very positive feedback in and if only in the sheer activity of this great aspect of the game at the very least.
09/05/2012 11:41 PMPosted by Mightyego
I think that S9 was the perfect length for a season, as everything was still activish. So i do believe 21-26 weeks would be perfect and anything over 30 is going to lead to a absolute dead time. I mean 38 weeks... i think i gave up on all my toons after about 29.

i really disagree with this, i think anything 20 weeks and over is just way too long.

with seasons that long the middle of the season, weeks 7 or 8 through till the last couple weeks of the season are just so dead.
We could've had another season if they just cut out the pointless weeks in the 3 we've had. The first 2 expansions had 4, why was this one only given 3? This just goes to show how much Blizzard really doesn't care about PvP. They couldn't even muster up the design team for a 4th seof of gear to make a new season.
09/06/2012 12:25 AMPosted by Efx
We could've had another season if they just cut out the pointless weeks in the 3 we've had. The first 2 expansions had 4, why was this one only given 3? This just goes to show how much Blizzard really doesn't care about PvP. They couldn't even muster up the design team for a 4th seof of gear to make a new season.

With this idea they wouldn't need to make a new set of gear :D just make up a new name for the R1 title and call it good.

This is really a win win for everyone, more seasons = more activity which means more people playing their subs instead of quitting in the mid of the season and coming back for the end.
1) it would throw you out of sync with pve content (hence the term used in BC "T-?? equivelant")
2) Achievments. Do you think blizz would spend all that time developing stuff so a few people QQ'ing would make them rush? HA!
3) If they're sitting, oh well. that's not blizz's problem, thats a player issue. People suck, get over it, its a game.
1) it would throw you out of sync with pve content (hence the term used in BC "T-?? equivelant")
2) Achievments. Do you think blizz would spend all that time developing stuff so a few people QQ'ing would make them rush? HA!
3) If they're sitting, oh well. that's not blizz's problem, thats a player issue. People suck, get over it, its a game.

1. would not throw anything out of sync, use the same sets for multiple seasons

2. no new achievments/titles would need to be made other then the R1 achiev/title so the development time is at a minimal

3. this would help blizz as well, it makes the arena community happy and keeps ppl playing the game.

4. plz keep this positive thnx :D
I support this idea. It would really bring back the liveliness of the game. The brackets would be WAY more active and it would attract new players to arena.

Lets face it, we all know how the seasons have worked in the past. After a month, the brackets are dead and teams are camping their rating. When teams camp rating, there becomes a dead-zone for teams to catch up to gladiator range since no team with high MMR queue up.

A good length for a season would be somewhere around 15-20 weeks. A smaller season also makes it more competitive for teams to get in range for their titles.

In addition, less win-trading and pilots would occur since players would be busy playing on their own teams.

All blizzard has to do keep the gear the same, but change the name. When new PvE content comes out, just update the stats on the gear. It's not difficult at all.

I really hope we can see this change in MoP. We just need the community to back it up.
2 seasons per raid patch would be good.
Second season should have decreased (or removed) ratings on gear.
just put decay on arena rating like in starcraft 2, you cant sit on grandmaster when your grandmaster gonna lose your spot
I support this idea. It would really bring back the liveliness of the game. The brackets would be WAY more active and it would attract new players to arena.

Lets face it, we all know how the seasons have worked in the past. After a month, the brackets are dead and teams are camping their rating. When teams camp rating, there becomes a dead-zone for teams to catch up to gladiator range since no team with high MMR queue up.

A good length for a season would be somewhere around 15-20 weeks. A smaller season also makes it more competitive for teams to get in range for their titles.

In addition, less win-trading and pilots would occur since players would be busy playing on their own teams.

All blizzard has to do keep the gear the same, but change the name. When new PvE content comes out, just update the stats on the gear. It's not difficult at all.

I really hope we can see this change in MoP. We just need the community to back it up.

exactly except that when the new season starts there is no need to update anything on the gear, when the new pve content comes out go ahead and release new pvp sets just like now.

2 seasons per raid patch would be good.
Second season should have decreased (or removed) ratings on gear.

no they shouldn't change requirements like that after a first season. If they going to decrease or remove requirements for gear they need to do it the first season and keep it that way.

09/06/2012 06:14 AMPosted by Vilye
just put decay on arena rating like in starcraft 2, you cant sit on grandmaster when your grandmaster gonna lose your spot

this has been brought up before, but it doesn't stop people from just not playing until the last couple weeks of season to earn their spots, this really doesn't solve much in a long season.
I completely agree, the added seasons would make the weeks I would normally spend running around Stormwind or Orgrimmar in circles casting dragons breath at random people would turn into actual gameplay. There's no way I see this not generating revenue for blizzard. Players that have quit from previous expansions may even come back. There doesn't need to be a change in gear until a new raid content patch comes out, just reset the ratings and achieves, hand out mounts and titles, then after a bye week, start another season up. Long seasons make pvper's gameplay just plain boring in my experience.