5.4 PVP Stat Guide

Battlegrounds
Post Limit:
Prev 1 8 9 10 12 Next
I see next to your name it says "MVP - world of warcraft" is that some special thing only horde get?

The MVP tag means I am part of Blizzard's forum MVP program, which is essentially just a group of players who have green text because we typically post in helpful/constructive ways. The World of Warcraft tag just means I primarily post on the WoW forums, there are many other MVPs for WoW as well as SC2 and D3. For the record though I believe there are significantly more Alliance MVP's than Horde, even though the Horde is clearly superior!

You can find more information about the MVP program here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4038704715
Thanks for the update.

It is probably worth mentioning somewhere that in 5.3:
- Any item with an ilvl above 496 gets "scaled down" to 496 in battlegrounds and arenas (this includes 498 PvP weapons).
- I believe some PvE trinkets receive additional penalties in battlegrounds and arenas, but I'm not sure of the specifics.
PvP resilience and PvP Power, the most ridiculous stats in the game, way useless than spirit for warriors.
PvP resilience and PvP Power, the most ridiculous stats in the game, way useless than spirit for warriors.

NO TL;DR : Skip post if you dont want to read a lot.

Well it USED to mean something, before they just gave it to EVERYONE. Now my gear is useless in a fight against a guy with full pve gear UNLESS im in an instance pvp zone. This is all fine and dandy on non pvp servers because there is no such thing as contested territory.

For people on pvp servers who encounter fun and the chance of a fight in world zones, its horribly out matched. Get full tyrannical and fight someone in full end game pve gear. Watch how easily they beat you. It can even be a class you would normally counter comp and they will most likely beat you.

Resilience was FINE. If pve people wanted to complain about getting ganked ( im not a "ganker" btw ) in contested territory then GET some pvp gear, thats what it WAS for. IT seems they cater to the largest % of people that complain about something rather than doing what they should.

Just because the majority agrees with something, it doesnt mean they are right. In Germany in WW2 the majority of the people thought killing a million people because they were different was right too....

I probably went a little overboard with that analogy but it just bothers me badly that the game is in the current state. As ive said in other posts, ive been fine with or dealt with changes to the game over the years but this change just seems "wrong".

If I fight a guy in pvp and hes got 0 pvp gear on, the odds of me winning the fight should be heavily in my favor. Just as if I went into a raid with the same guy, he should have np out damaging me on the charts if im in full pvp gear and he is in full pve gear.
*yawn* durp and any real PvPer knows this. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out unless your a total "noob". I being pvping with a priest since vanilla.
*yawn* durp and any real PvPer knows this. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out unless your a total "noob". I being pvping with a priest since vanilla.
Looks good, but I found a typo.

****NOTE: This guide written for level 90 players, many of the concepts will still apply at 85 and other levels but the numbers and scaling will be different!****

looks same to me .lol
Given that gemming/enchanting for resilience is no longer paticularly effective, what are your thoughts on stamina? For example, My resto druid here could probably pick up 20K health or so, which is something like a 5% health boost. With 65% stamina, that's more like an 8% EH boost (I can't math, don't hate me). Since I tend to get zerged down a lot, would this be worth it, or just silly?
Since all players now have a baseline PVP resilience and PVP power has been reduced, why use PVP gear at all when the stats you get with PVE gear are better?
Since all players now have a baseline PVP resilience and PVP power has been reduced, why use PVP gear at all when the stats you get with PVE gear are better?

I was told that even the reduced pvp power will provide a bigger benefit than will PvE gear.
Given that gemming/enchanting for resilience is no longer paticularly effective, what are your thoughts on stamina? For example, My resto druid here could probably pick up 20K health or so, which is something like a 5% health boost. With 65% stamina, that's more like an 8% EH boost (I can't math, don't hate me). Since I tend to get zerged down a lot, would this be worth it, or just silly?

Given that you appear to PVP as resto I would say you are much better off sticking with your current int & mastery gems. Improving your healing output not only provides a great benefit to your survivability but also your team mates'. Gemming stamina would really only help you survive big bursts a little bit better, and would ultimately reduce your long-term survivability as your heals would be less effective.

As for PVP vs PVE gear, PVP gear is the way to go for instanced PVP. While PVP power was nerfed it is still gives you an edge over ilvl equalized PVE geared players. Out in open-world PVP though.. well that is a different story unfortunately :(
BG scaling destroyed it all....
hi!
This post has gone on for so long im just going to add something so it stays up a little longer
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on 5.4, Eldacar. Base resilience is going up to 72%. With the dual trinket bonus (10% damage reduction) that'll be roughly 75%? Plus tyrannical gem puts me at around 76%?

I'm tempted to gem/enchant for resilience again, just for the lulz. It'd be nice to have an effective health pool of 2.3 million health.
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on 5.4, Eldacar. Base resilience is going up to 72%. With the dual trinket bonus (10% damage reduction) that'll be roughly 75%? Plus tyrannical gem puts me at around 76%?

I'm tempted to gem/enchant for resilience again, just for the lulz. It'd be nice to have an effective health pool of 2.3 million health.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if it goes live like this. On the one hand there should be less near-instagib burst combos even on relatively new 90's. But on the other hand anyone that cant put out some serious damage is going to have a really hard time killing fully geared PVP'ers in instanced PVP. I suspect this issue will be most apparent immediately after the patch releases, everyone's survivability will shoot up instantly, but it will take time for damage to catch back up as people acquire new gear.

Tanks got a serious nerf in BG's recently because Blizzard felt players that were obnoxiously hard to kill made the game less fun for everyone else, it will be interesting to see if they recreate that problem on a much larger scale with these changes in 4.3. But as always, these are just guesses predictions, we won't know how things will really turn out until the patch releases, and Blizzard can always make changes to fine tune things.
Dropping baseline damage taken from 35% to 28% means you take 80% as much damage.
Dropping baseline healing taken from 55% to 45% means you take ~82% as much healing.

At first glance, those two numbers look more-or-less balanced. However that ignores the fact that many kills depend strongly on burst.

Note that being a "fully geared PvP player" does very little to increase your survivability compared to a player in PvE gear (unless you are a healer). PvP gear gives you PvP Power, and for DPS that increases the amount of damage you do. It doesn't help survivability, except for any healing affects that you might happen to have that do scale with Power (or in the sense of "the best defense is a good offense").
At first glance, those two numbers look more-or-less balanced. However that ignores the fact that many kills depend strongly on burst.

I agree, the relative strength of healing should stay about the same, however everyone will be able to survive a bit longer without heals, and survive larger burst as you point out. Often times kills are secured by a very small margin, particularly in arenas, so this may have a larger impact than it seems like it would on the surface. Of course the additional damage facilitated by new gear will factor into this as well, but not until people have some time to acquire it.

08/18/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Erdluf
Note that being a "fully geared PvP player" does very little to increase your survivability compared to a player in PvE gear

Of course, by "fully geared PVP'er" I simply meant anyone that is fully geared out and participating in PVP, however I do see how that could be interpreted as "fully pvp geared player", perhaps I should have worded it more carefully. As it stands there is still a large difference in Stamina and HP between fresh 90's and someone in the latest and greatest gear (PVE or PVP).