Did they break Prot?

Paladin
1 2 3 7 Next
I haven't really played my paladin since Cata and I don't have gear for prot right now to test it out myself. What I have been seeing is 3 tanks being pretty much like they always where and paladins sucking big time.

No threat and low dps... I just can't figure it out. I have checked to see if every paladin has had RF on because I am getting agro so much. Not just on this warrior, my other warrior in blues and greens at 85 is also getting agro all the time from them.

It isn't like these are new to 85 tanks. These are guys in HoT/Raid finder or better gear. So did they make prot not good at 85 or did they make it to hard to play correctly?
They did something to the Prot. Pally rotation, and whatever it is, I hate it with every fiber of my being. I played this pally here constantly right about when Cata came out, but coming back to WoW a year later, Prot's not even fun anymore.

WHY DID THEY DO THIS?
09/10/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Sparklefever
3 tanks huh? We back in TBC?

War, DK and druid? So math is hard or reading is?
There's been prot paladins linking their logs of 25k-30k+ dps while raiding.
Prot pally is better than ever. I'm hitting 40K on some bosses in 5 mans and only have a threat issue when locks or hunters have their pets taunting OR some careless dps isn't paying attention to what he or she should be targeting, thinking it's still the days of multiple taunts. It's not. The game has changed a bit, and everyone in every role has to be more aware.

Aggro isn't just a tank issue, as much as some people like to think it is.

09/10/2012 09:25 AMPosted by Blaux
War, DK and druid? So math is hard or reading is?

This is just an opinion, but I'd suggest avoiding snarky comments like that when your first post is full of grammatical and spelling errors. You're just begging for someone to call you out on them when you ask a question about your post being hard to read. And in any case, it makes it sound like you're trolling for a fight instead of discussing an issue.
Breaking news! People are running their pre-5.0.4 gem/reforge set ups resulting in outputting terrible dps because they aren't hitting anything an generating no holy power. More news at 11, back to you Ron!
09/10/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Blighter
Breaking news! People are running their pre-5.0.4 gem/reforge set ups resulting in outputting terrible dps because they aren't hitting anything an generating no holy power. More news at 11, back to you Ron!

our prot warrior did 80k on madness last week!
09/10/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Vladja
our prot warrior did 80k on madness last week!

That's all?

Ours busted out doing 140k, and finished up around 95k. >.>
There's a 3-part problem

1. Some people are doing crap damage due to pre-504 setups and rotations

2. Some people are doing crap damage because the numbers of Prot paladins are lousy

3. Some people are doing inconsistent damage (some low, some insanely high) because Vengeance is all over the place right now

Hard to tell which.
Wait wait wait wait wait WAIT!

Are yoy telling me that mechanics changed witht he 5.04 patch and I need to gem/enchant/reforge differently as well as change my rotation!?

How dare you sir!
Pretty much, single target tanking, my DPS is only averaging an okay 16,000~22,000 DPS. Before this patch, I would average 20,000~26,000 DPS on single target tanking.

After an 'accidental' pull of two packs of slimes before Yor'sahj, and nearly dying (dropped to a sliver of health) three times, my DPS sky rocketed to about 46,000 from Consecration. Before this patch, if I took on that many I would do an average of 30,000~36,000 DPS, but I would never even get close to dying.

The DPS we get, is only good if we almost die on a constant basis. The more tanky we are, the less damage we do. The less tanky we are, the more damage we do. It's going to start feeling like Diablo 3 soon (if it hasn't already with the Talents and Glyph changes...), where we wont even need tanking sets and just tank in DPS gear because the only loss in avoidance is about 5%~ Dodge.

I like the idea of an active mitigation system, but we need less GCD's to make it work better. The gameplay is such a mess now.

I know, I know, it's tailored for MoP, but that doesn't mean the previous levels have to be so... rusty.
Yeah prot is broken right now

In a good way. Good ones take like no damage.
People have been tanking in more dps-centric gear because of current stat scaling and it's easier to hit/exp cap, and the parry scaling from strength at this level.

Vengeance scales from pre-mitigation damage, and you can aoe tank with SoI and get huge self-healing from HotR.
Vengeance scales from pre-mitigation damage, and you can aoe tank with SoI and get huge self-healing from HotR.

This is something I haven't tried yet. Really? :O
09/10/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Zephyran
The DPS we get, is only good if we almost die on a constant basis. The more tanky we are, the less damage we do. The less tanky we are, the more damage we do. It's going to start feeling like Diablo 3 soon (if it hasn't already with the Talents and Glyph changes...), where we wont even need tanking sets and just tank in DPS gear because the only loss in avoidance is about 5%~ Dodge.

Actually this reminds me of wrath tanking. Put on dps gear and out damage the dps while doing the Divine Plea Shuffle....only now its the vengeance shuffle.
Actually this reminds me of wrath tanking. Put on dps gear and out damage the dps while doing the Divine Plea Shuffle....only now its the vengeance shuffle.

all i remember about wrath tanking was chain pulling so plea didn't fall off.
09/10/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Vladja
all i remember about wrath tanking was chain pulling so plea didn't fall off.

Ah so you do remember the divine plea shuffle =D
09/10/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Kaitelynn

This is something I haven't tried yet. Really? :O

At the moment, intended or not, both justice and insight proc on every hit that HotR's aoe hits. Hitting Ony's whelps with it is pretty hilarious.