Shadow Mastery and FDCL + DI

Priest
Post Limit:
So Shadow Priest mastery gives extra dot ticks. Can these extra ticks proc From Darkness, Comes Light (FDCL) and Diving Insight (DI)? If so, is this intended?

If it works and is intended, mastery would seem to be ta much better stat.
FDCL and DI don't proc dots so I wouldn't think so...
Can these extra ticks proc From Darkness, Comes Light (FDCL) and Diving Insight (DI)? If so, is this intended?

Yes and yes.

09/08/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Browniees

No.
09/08/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Browniees

No.[/quote]

How come? Additional procs seem significant - Spike doing +50% dmg on proc and MB being reset on proc?
This is assuming you're taking ToF/FDCL, which is the optimal build currently.

99.6 Mastery = 1%
179.3 Crit = 1%

They're weighted the same on gear, meaning gear of the same ilvl will have similar numbers of either stat on it.

1% crit can basically be treated as a flat 1% gain to DPS. Nothing we have really interacts with crit, so there's no need to complicate it.

Looking at my most recent Ultraxion log, dots were about 27.4% of my damage, without mastery figured in. That means that a 1% increase to mastery is only about a .274% increase. MS was about 8.8% of my DPS, meaning a 1% gain to mastery is ~.088% increase.

Say that mastery is basically weighted at half of crit on gear, so to make things even we'll double it to .548% + .176% = .724%
This is assuming you're taking ToF/FDCL, which is the optimal build currently.

99.6 Mastery = 1%
179.3 Crit = 1%

They're weighted the same on gear, meaning gear of the same ilvl will have similar numbers of either stat on it.

1% crit can basically be treated as a flat 1% gain to DPS. Nothing we have really interacts with crit, so there's no need to complicate it.

Looking at my most recent Ultraxion log, dots were about 27.4% of my damage, without mastery figured in. That means that a 1% increase to mastery is only about a .274% increase. MS was about 8.8% of my DPS, meaning a 1% gain to mastery is ~.088% increase.

Say that mastery is basically weighted at half of crit on gear, so to make things even we'll double it to .548% + .176% = .724%

Referring to PVE... or rather, Boss fights, Mastery is less significant. Mastery becomes more awesome where you're able to DOT many targets like trash mobs or basically all of PVP... except duels/pointless 1v1s.

Mastery shines where you're able to focus attention to DOTs and Crit shines where your focusing on 1 target.
Really depends on how much cross dotting you can do and how good you are at it.
First, let me address the real question. Mastery ticks are just like normal ticks. The talents also do not have a CD, and they will actually proc (as of 5.0.5) twice off of mastery ticks. This is mostly important for FDCL as it can stack twice, a double proc off of DI. Double procs would happen for FDCL as calculated: 15% (innate, built in the talent) * whatever your haste is. Overall this would only be about 3% of the time assuming my current somewhat crappy gear. This would be 1% of the time for DI (this 1% would be wasted).

As opposed to what someone said earlier, I support mastery and haste. DoTs only make up so much of your damage, but if we use these talents to reset the CDs and make things instant cast. Mastery then creates an average of roughly 1% more procs per any given amount of time. It'd be .99% for DI then, as 1% of 1% is wasted. 1% more procs for the most part would mean more Mindblast and more Mind Spike Casts. Mind Spike gets a 50% damage bonus from the talent as well. Additional Mindblasts give additional Shadow Orbs, which means more Devouring Plague casts, which means more DPS. The overall benefit decreases as mastery and haste get higher and the procs interfere with the rotation.

Haste works similarly, haste increases the amount of DoT ticks per any given time assuming DoTs are consistently up. Devouring Plague however, is not renewed, and therefore does not really gain any benefit from Haste other than being more condensed. Yet haste benefits casted and channeled spells and reduces the GCD. Many people consider haste the most beneficial, I am wondering however. Due to human error and lag, etc. it would seem that the more spells used per any amount of time would increase in "gap" time. Faster dots would require more refreshing, and people to notice that they needed refreshing. This mainly affects DoTs, and therefore haste more than mastery.
You're completely omitting WHY we use DI and FDCL. You're right that DoTs only make up so much of your damage, but if you didn't use these, you could pretty much only Mindblast every 8 sec. We use these talents to reset the CDs and make things instant cast. Not only that, but additional Mindblasts give additional Shadow Orbs, which means more Devouring Plague casts, which means more DPS.

We use them because they're theoretically the largest DPS gain in their tier on the appropriate fights. It's the same reason we pick any talent: because it performs the best. The exact method of the DPS increase is usually irrelevant, unless the mechanics clash with encounter mechanics.
Personally I have been Using FDCL and DI since beta because I liked how they made my priest play. Almost sad seeing it the 'proper' talents because I don't like there being much of a dps difference between the talents.

But back on the topic I have been wondering about the mastery interaction with FDCL and DI for quite a while now but couldn't think of anyway to determine whether it would or would not work. If it does work as someone said then I would agree mastery would overtake crit in its utility especially in short burst windows like the sparks on elegon or anything similar to that. More DoT ticks more chance for instant casts to speed things along (probably not terribly important in 25 but I raid 10). I would wonder how high our mastery would have to be to have to worry about the procs interfering with rotation in a single target situation. Yes when multi-DoTing you would have even more difficulty using up your instant casts but that seems pretty ok to me.
Most priests switch talents based on the fight anyway

regarding mastery: haste is our most beneficial stat, obviously. Simcraft is still showing haste to be my strongest stat even after 8085. That being said, the real decision would be crit vs mastery as your next secondary stat.

Crit is going to win: mastery does not affect mind blast, mind spike, or death.

I almost wish mastery worked as the legendary did last xpac: a chance to duplicate any of our damaging effects. Would make it much more attractive.
Simcraft may be taking into account the next breakpoint for haste, driving haste's value way up, if you're low.

That's my theory.
Simcraft may be taking into account the next breakpoint for haste, driving haste's value way up, if you're low.

That's my theory.

Thats mine as well, so I'm trying to stay as close to the breakpoint as possible. Simcraft is just a tool anyway.
Yeah, simcraft IS a tool. What a douche.

I don't invite him over anymore.