11" macbook air handling WoW

Mac Technical Support
Hi, i was trying to buy the new 13"macbook pro the other day until i walked into a future shop and saw an 11" macbook air priced at 899 dollars. I am in canada and i didnt quite remember the detail of that model? Would it have been one of the upgraded models with retina features or are they just dumping old models for low price. If it had been old types then i wouldnt consider it, but if it is new model, my question is how well would it handle wow, or can it at all.
That being said, i dont really mind the small storage as i never used more than 30 gb on my old computer anyways (unless you know that the percentage storage used does affect the process speed effectively) and also the 11" air would have been great convenience to me and at some point i even considered quitting wow if i had to.
So can someone tell me how well can it handle wow? preferably someone who has played wow on one or seen it being done. I dont expect great performance as long as the screen never freezes for an instant at all at settings of low to fair.
I know someone who plays on a previous generation 13'' screen macbook air. He says it works fine. You obviously can't run it on ultra, but it works.
If you're running on the lowest settings, you should be fine. My Mac Mini does fine with it's Intel HD 3000 graphics card. The MacBook Air will do fine with the HD 4000. But don't expect much in the way of graphics. You really should be running it on the lowest settings to get a decent framerate.
I run WoW on my 11" MacBook Air 2010 model. It can handle the game pretty well, except for doing realm raids FTA-FTH/world pvp where the frame rate would go funny.
I have a brand new 13" Macbook Air that I can run on "good" settings.

The problem being is the damn thing gets really hot and the fan kicks in almost immediately. FPS tends to drop to terrible levels during raids and other intensive events.

With that being said, if you're just sitting in your city or solo questing you should be good to go. Just be aware that it's going to sound like you've got an f15 in your lap and will be hot enough to fry an egg and some bacon.
I have a brand new 13" Macbook Air that I can run on "good" settings.

The problem being is the damn thing gets really hot and the fan kicks in almost immediately. FPS tends to drop to terrible levels during raids and other intensive events.

With that being said, if you're just sitting in your city or solo questing you should be good to go. Just be aware that it's going to sound like you've got an f15 in your lap and will be hot enough to fry an egg and some bacon.

Never had this issue at all. Yes it gets hot but that is the issue Blizz is fixing tomorrow. Also as with any machine you need to control it.

Grab smcFanControl and set it up for WoW usage. It's better to loose a fan than to loose the motherboard or CPU.
I don't see how Blizz is going to fix the heat issue. Macs running hot has been a trademark since the earliest macbooks and pros. I run smc on my RMBP but won't run it on my air. I've since removed WoW from my air as I'm trying my best to keep it as minimally filled as I can.
09/10/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Seltzers
I don't see how Blizz is going to fix the heat issue. Macs running hot has been a trademark since the earliest macbooks and pros. I run smc on my RMBP but won't run it on my air. I've since removed WoW from my air as I'm trying my best to keep it as minimally filled as I can.

There is a software problem in the current live client that is causing an extreme overheating problem. It is well documented here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648 and apparently the fix is set to go live soon.
Hi there OP,

I am running world of warcraft on the mid 2012 macbook air 11" i7/8gb/128gb and it runs really well.
I am interested in getting a macbook air and selling my dell. do you think i should get the 13' or will the 11' be sufficient? i will be using it mostly for wow and school. never had an apple product besides iphone haha.
To the OP: There is no retina Macbook Air. (Retina only comes on the upper model of the 15" macbook pro)
In case you were wondering.

To check if they are selling the new model see if it has the intelHD 4000 for a graphics chip.
If not then it is last years model for cheap.

Hope that helped :)
Hi there OP,

I am running world of warcraft on the mid 2012 macbook air 11" i7/8gb/128gb and it runs really well.

What is the battery life? I have a high end system at home so I'm just looking to use the air to play while I'm at lunch etc. (I take long lunches :P)
Hi guys,

Similar question -

I've got a MacBook AIr 13" purchased late 2013. 1.3Ghz i5, 128gb hdd, 4gb RAM & Intel HD 5000 graphics. Curious as to how you think it will run WoW on "good" settings? Considering reinstalling it just to pvp whilst on mid semester break.

Thanks in advance.
I have it running on my mac book air OS X Version 10.9.3; the Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 is just not made for gaming.

It's not a long term solution as the air book fan kicks on after just a little running around. I use it to log in and do farm stuff but I wouldn't consider PVPing or raiding with it.

(I also don't have any of my addons working on it yet).
yeah im running on an mac book air 1.4 cpu im wondering if it would be capable to run efficently even with low settings on