Swapping mains...

General Discussion
Well since there doesn't seem to be any further argument I can make without bordering on trolling, I'ma step out of this conversation. Because you do sound like a nice person and I'm not going to do that to you.
I just don't think this system is necessary, and as I said before, I would much prefer Blizz focus their attention on more pressing issues. Peace out.
While I understand where you are coming from, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Now this is just my opinion and I understand all the hard work you've put into one toon. However, just taking all your rep, achievements, and progression and just tossing them on a new toon just doesn't seem right.

Yeah you earned it all personally, and like I said I get that, but in the end if you want something on a different toon that isn't account wide, I think you should have to go out and get it. It's not that hard to get rep at all anymore. I got exalted with 2 different factions in Outland at the same exact time, wearing a rep tabard and running a dungeon over and over. It awarded me for both the rep the dungeon gave and the rep I got for killing monsters while wearing the tabard.

And since it is so easy to do, you can do it on a new toon and it shouldn't take that long. If you just pushed all your awesomeness onto a new class just because you liked it more then what would you have to do when you're not raiding?

If rep and achievements are the only thing keeping you attached to a toon, I don't think you love it very much to begin with. Play a class you love, and if you have to start from scratch, it just shows your dedication even more when you get all those things all over again.
Okay, I *think* I'm seeing what the op is asking for here. Leaving aside the achievement sharing, which seems to mitigate much of this...

It seems they are asking for a way to class change.

We have race/faction changes... and with a class change, that would move all the rep/ach/toys/etc over. From a technical standpoint there are some hurdles like class-specific items. We also wouldn't want people doing it constantly to be a flavor-of-the-month (particularly for pvp/arenas). There's also the issue of price, as this would take effort to develop, and people would argue that Blizzard keeps shifting class balance in order to force people to pay for class changes (people do argue that kind of thing, sadly).

Is there something more here that I'm missing about it?
09/10/2012 04:42 AMPosted by Snowfox

Not necessarily Snow. They are saying that they already have the other character at the same level as their "main" and they want to transfer all the rep/toys/whatever to the other toon.

Rep/blah blah on 85 priest ----> 85 warlock, but they already have the warlock at 85 and just want to pay to transfer the "goodies" from their 85 priest to their already 85 warlock.

I say it's a cheap way to get ahead and isn't right, but that's just me. You want a new main? Put the love and devotion into it like you did your previous one. Doesn't it deserve that much? Otherwise you could just "main change" to whatever class was the "Flavor of the Month" over and over without having to put any extra effort into it.

Edit: And yes, I could definitely take advantage of this as I DO have all 10 classes at 85 with decent gear. Just wanted to get that out there before someone said, "You just don't want it cuz you can't use it..."
09/10/2012 04:49 AMPosted by Arteatha

Not necessarily Snow. They are saying that they already have the other character at the same level as their "main" and they want to transfer all the rep/toys/whatever to the other toon.

I'm not sure I see the difference between changing the class of a toon.. and creating a new toon that inherits everything from the first toon, except now it's a different class. I suppose that's a matter of semantics though.

The thing is "Mains" are a purely abstract notion in WoW. They aren't formally a main in any sense. So it's not really "main switching" so much as "soulbound transferring" and "rep transferring"
09/10/2012 04:54 AMPosted by Snowfox
The thing is "Mains" are a purely abstract notion in WoW. They aren't formally a main in any sense. So it's not really "main switching" so much as "soulbound transferring" and "rep transferring"

True, I consider my priest to be my "main" because I play it the most and love it the most. However, I believe that each toon should have its own progression and rep gains separate from all the rest. Otherwise you'd just get all the rep rewards with 0 work or effort on that specific toon.

If you want to level up a new class, you should have to put work and love into it just like you did for your "main" otherwise just don't play it.

What you are suggesting OP is a paid "shortcut" for any character you create. They already give you enough incentive to level new characters with the RAF system, BoA's, rep tabards, etc. But it seems you are trying to say its just not easy enough for you and you'd like to just pay to have that taken care of.
What I'm saying is that I don't want to spend the hours I've already put into this character on another character which I will play. If you know what a 'main' is, it is the character you focus all your time and energy. I've spent 6 YEARS on this character. I do not want to play this one come Mists. I'm tired of the same thing, but of all my current 85s (which many have reps which got up there, but none such as this) I do not want to play. Balanced from before or not, I do not care. I want the ability to take all the hard work from this character to be able to transfer to another.

And to the guy who asks why I can't play a monk... I will play a monk, just like I have every other class to 85 except a warrior. I just won't put my time into it. The passion. The extra focus and effort, all because I've put the time into this character.

If I could have erased not being here for 6 years, to start all over the way I did 6 years ago, but with a monk as my chosen class, I would. But I can't. So I ask for the possibility to give me the hard work I've put in, to the new class. And as I've said before to so many people, many will not care about this as much as others. But some of us truly do. You won't understand unless you've put this much time and effort into ONE character. You can say it's a class change. I don't want anything that's player enhancing in this. It's not like I want my gear transferred. I just want the work I've put in transferred over. (In the things listed, oh, so many times before.) Personally, I don't even care about little 'toys' either. Just things that have taken so much time. You can say you can get rep easily. Give me 57 reps including the now FoS Shen'dralar and you will find yourself taking a lot of precious time. Anybody who did The Insane can tell you how much effort it took. There's a reason it's called The Insane. I did this and then-some. I do NOT want to do this again. I REFUSE to. If this isn't implemented, I just simply will not play a monk as my main. MY options are to suggest this and hope for a main change option or to play what I've played for the last 6 years. You may not understand why I won't just drop this character. If you've never developed a character and the time and effort for as long as I have, you wouldn't. People can easily get attached to a character they've spent this much time on. I have. I will not delete her; I just want the work moved over into my new 'vessel' to continue on playing for many years to come. (I just really don't want to get burnt out like it's starting to.)

Leveling characters take no time at all. I understand this. I've said before that I'll have an 85 monk. I'm so good at leveling and questing that I used to have the nickname "Questhelper" after the add-on. (I was more efficient than the actual add-on because I knew all the quests in the game backwards and forwards.) I've got multiple accounts with characters of most all races and factions. I've played many aspects of the game but in the end the 'go-to character' I play is this one. I've run out of space to make more characters and I'm getting burnt. But I'll still come back to this one if I can't make the change for all the work I've spent. I'll just burn out. It'd be easier to 'disappear' (out of sight out of mind, anyone?) and forget the game then to just make a monk and have to burn through all I've done again. The burnout has come BECAUSE of things like achievements/professions/etc. I've put so much time in... I just simply will not do it again. I can not. For my own SANITY.

All I ask is for the idea to be played around. Burnout will come to even the most patient person like myself. But to know what I've done, means you TOO have put in as much. (And if you're on your main, your <7k achievement points shows you haven't. I've put in about 4-5k on each of my alts. That was before the patch. I'd have had more from Cata, but I've already started to have a burnout. My recent 'break' was hope for rejuvenation. I don't want to leave, but sometimes you just have to go when you can't take the monotony.) So unless you've ground all reps from vanilla - cata (for me minus about 5, including the 3 pvp) and worked on many raid achievements, (which give no extra benefit but a title and possible mount most of the time) you should try it out to feel how much work it has taken. Many of these were done BEFORE the 'it's so easy to do now.' Even if it is easier, no, I will not do it unless I need the rep for a profession. (I did Timbermaw on a tailoring alt just a week or two ago) Do not ask me to do 57(+ cause we know this isn't going to come about soon) again. I will quit before then.

All I ask is for the idea to be played around. Burnout will come to even the most patient person like myself. But to know what I've done, means you TOO have put in as much. (And if you're on your main, your <7k achievement points shows you haven't. I've put in about 4-5k on each of my alts. That was before the patch. I'd have had more from Cata, but I've already started to have a burnout. My recent 'break' was hope for rejuvenation. I don't want to leave, but sometimes you just have to go when you can't take the monotony.) So unless you've ground all reps from vanilla - cata (for me minus about 5, including the 3 pvp) and worked on many raid achievements, (which give no extra benefit but a title and possible mount most of the time) you should try it out to feel how much work it has taken. Many of these were done BEFORE the 'it's so easy to do now.' Even if it is easier, no, I will not do it unless I need the rep for a profession. (I did Timbermaw on a tailoring alt just a week or two ago) Do not ask me to do 57(+ cause we know this isn't going to come about soon) again. I will quit before then.

The raid achievements are account wide as well as any achievements you have for earning reps. And most the reps are pointless to grind out now because they don't really give any benefit other than bragging rights (but since you'd have the achievements to prove you earned them that point is moot).
Raiding doesn't exactly make a 'main' either. This toon's been in plenty of raids. (though hasn't won anything but raid finder gear :( ) I just don't have time to take this one on the 'mains' raid team though. We try for achievements on the main raid team because of it being people's mains. I have, however, gotten achievements on other characters in raids and dungeons that my main had not received. Here's the kicker though: I don't worry about that being transferred at all. If I got them on an alt, it was an accident. I didn't put effort and time into it. But what I've put into my main has taken focus, effort and time. THAT is the difference between a main and an alt.

If I re-roll a monk, it will be just an 'alt.' If I abandon all I've done in the past and opted for the monk or got the option to transfer the 'main,' then I'd start from that point and put all my effort in. But personally, I don't want to forget all I've done in the last 6 years and start 'at the beginning.' There's a reason why you used to see a lot of 'deletion' videos when people decided to leave way back when. All the effort makes you want to keep the character alive and potentially able to continue on. They delete so they aren't tempted. They walk away from the game. Some regret and have to start over. I just don't want to start over on the hard work. (Not the leveling, gearing etc. Just the extra time consuming stuff that, for the most part, isn't even needed on alts, but is probably still on your 'main' from long ago.)

I hate having to re-post over and over, but it seems people just don't get the point of what I'm asking. It sounds similar to a class change, but what exactly DOES a class change entail. Does it mean all my gear switches to whatever classes gear, but on a perfectly equivalent basis? I'm exactly who I am and have all I have, including my name? Cause that is NOT what I'm asking. I'm asking for an exchange of reps/achievements/perhaps secondary professions. (thanks for the suggestion Wuzlo) I do not want gear, I don't even want the same name. I want to level my character to the max level and then, and only then, have it placed as my 'main.' (Of course, then I get the transferred 'hard work'.) I'd pay for it. For the time they put into doing a little bit of altering, I'd gladly pay. It shouldn't seem to be that much work for Blizz if I pay. Having the option available, doesn't mean they are going to spend all day doing these. Having the option available, though, means a lot to those of us who would use it.

I do ask that people who respond read the posts to understand what I'm saying instead of just saying the same thing people said, before I reiterated. I do appreciate the ones who have questions that are about understanding and definitely appreciate those who understand and either voice their support or resignation about the idea. Input is always appreciated; just make sure it IS input though.
I'd pay $25-$35 for a main swap anyday! i'm done with the ole pally!
Changing a main is easy: play another character more often. I've changed mains twice:

First, in TBC I had just started raiding. Guild lost a tank, so I dropped the rogue I was playing, leveled up a warrior, and tanked.

Second, the week before MoP dropped, my GL wanted everyone to send her mail in-game with our chosen main. I sacked the warrior and decided this druid would be my main.

Yup, that was pretty easy. The only thing I wish carried over was the number of exalted factions. I played this toon pretty casually up through Cata. Never worked out a faction, just maxed my level and started playing. My warrior, on the other hand, worked every faction. Killed Twilight Cultists in Sithilus for hours. Turned in Coilfang Armaments like there was no tomorrow. Went nuts against the Naga for Sporregar. Slaughtered Ogres for Nagrand. Championed every Wrath and Cata faction. Hit the 40 Exalted point during Cata. Would have 45 Exalted if the MoP factions I got on this toon would add up. Instead, this toon is still 14/45 ...
I agree with the op. I too have had similar feelings about switching my main which is this character currently. However I want my rep and dread the idea of having to re grind all of the different reputations that I've leveled to exalted. Hydroxian warlords I'm looking at u. It would be a simple addition to the paid character services that would benefit those of us who are crazy about our rep and such
If this was offered you'd see infinitely more Overpowered Class of the month players than you even currently do. At least now those people have to spend the time to level them.